2865: "the Wrong Stuff"

This is, technically, an xkcd forum.
somitomi

2865: "the Wrong Stuff"

Post by somitomi »

Title text: The phantom found Edward Everett Hale a century too early; by the time we invented satellites, the specifics of his 'brick moon' proposal were dismissed as science fiction.

That reminds me of the time I heard of concrete ships and it took me some time to come to grips with that concept because concrete structures are normally immovable.
Old Bruce

Re: 2865: "the Wrong Stuff"

Post by Old Bruce »

somitomi wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:14 pm
That reminds me of the time I heard of concrete ships and it took me some time to come to grips with that concept because concrete structures are normally immovable.
The town I grew up in had a large breakwater made from WW II "Liberty Ships", they had concrete hulls. Being a breakwater the ships had to become immovable. The log pond is gone now because the pulp and paper mill is gone. But the ships were repurposed as sunken reefs for scuba divers to look at. So local tourism benefits just as the Spruce Goose is an attraction. And look at all the people who visit Troy, of course New York state has other attractions as well.
chridd
Scorekeeper-Keeper

Re: 2865: "the Wrong Stuff"

Post by chridd »

My first thought was that that looks like Timeghost
Maybe they're the same ghost. It's been nine years since that comic (about as long as xkcd had been around when it was originally published), which is probably long enough for the ghost to switch jobs.

(…specifically switching back to their old job, since the examples given are all in the past.)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ · she · Forum game scores · My website
ratammer wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:56 pm Hoping to find something quotable on this new forum!