Re: HaiLOWEEN 2023: AI apocalypse

Post by madge »

_84bae916-b96f-429c-a524-3bdb0123eec5.jpeg
_84bae916-b96f-429c-a524-3bdb0123eec5.jpeg (149.51 KiB) Viewed 21990 times
_f76e30b6-1195-4098-8ffd-d2e37329ea53.jpeg
_f76e30b6-1195-4098-8ffd-d2e37329ea53.jpeg (147.07 KiB) Viewed 21990 times
_96add53b-4a2e-4c9f-9c91-52a918452409.jpeg
_96add53b-4a2e-4c9f-9c91-52a918452409.jpeg (93.73 KiB) Viewed 21990 times
I've got sabrar, adum, and Somitomi above in no particular order.

Is that everyone?
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
Sabrar

Post by Sabrar »

madge wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:28 am What about in resurrection Mafia where the phoenix was immune to cult recruit but unaware of the fact? Is that in the non bastard category because the cult was told that some players are immune? Or should we have told the phoenix they were immune?
I don't think it was bastard because cult was told about it but I admit that it does not fall strictly under those guidelines.
Thanks for the pony, looks awesome!
madge

Post by madge »

_e8c3bef1-2c78-4523-b984-ad6f9e0ae555.jpeg
_e8c3bef1-2c78-4523-b984-ad6f9e0ae555.jpeg (108.26 KiB) Viewed 21988 times
No, still at least EGW and zeniba (trisscar)!
_1f2d028c-821b-434b-aa93-111a16142f8d.jpeg
_1f2d028c-821b-434b-aa93-111a16142f8d.jpeg (164.12 KiB) Viewed 21988 times
madge

Post by madge »

Heury, mak, and JC all to be done as well as freddino. About to get our performance notes going into closing night so I will do them when I get a chance 💖
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

My pony is so cute!
Sabrar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:16 am We have chosen 'Gunsmith' because it was the closest name that matched the ability. We have never promised that any ability would work exactly as it is described on any wiki. For example as you will see the Bodyguards had a secondary ability that we added that you cannot expect from the name alone.
Just because we don't strictly adhere to pre-established ideas does not mean that the game is bastard. In my view non-bastardry regarding roles means that if a person is in possession of all role pm-s (and only the role pm-s) then they could follow and explain all in-game actions and results. In other words there are no hidden rules, caveats, surprises, everything is available to at least 1 player.
I'm not sure I agree, the entire point of roles in mafia is to be able to put people in different circumstances to understand their reactions in a circumstance.

For that to work, roles have to ultimately be predictable in how they work, not just for one person but for the entire game OR somehow draw attention to that they work differently in a way that's distinct, and not just to the person with the role PM. Which is why flipping "codesmith", which is close enough to gunsmith but draws attention to the fact it's not a gunsmith, would've been a better flip name.
LaserGuy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:24 am There wasn't really any way I could get around killing you, regardless of how suspicious you might have been of me. I knew you had at least one watcher power left, and if you saw me kill someone else, I was lost. I also didn't honestly think either scum!moody or scum!bessie would ever kill me over you, so you were always the correct target as far as I'm concerned. Probably we should have killed you a day or two earlier.

I was planning on claiming a 1-shot kill reflector instead of a vig. Ironically I realized partway through the Day we yeeted somi that the vig definitely wouldn't have saved us anyway and was just kinda praying you didn't notice (if it was scum somi/moody and we misyeet bessie, then it's me/you/somi/moody; they kill one of us, we kill one of them and still get endgamed). I wasn't really worried about how that might have interacted with bessie's power... there were only so many bases I could cover and I just didn't understand exactly how the mechanics of her power worked well enough to worry about it.
I never even considered that you could save us in 5 person yeet or lose. That's why I said three, though I guess "saved" is a strong word. My read on resolution was scorched earth if you were town. Or if a "no yeet" happened either of the final days.

Ultimately, "I have an ability which can be usable to save us in the right circumstances but those circumstances may not present themselves" is a valid argument based on how you presented yourself.

But the point is ultimately your ability to "save" us ultimately conflicts with Bessie's results that their was no way for scum to lose.

I do however, think scum-bessie or scum-moody would've taken the bait and gambled on trying to turn the other on me or vice versa. If it was Bessie, moody was their pocket townie either way.

Edit: oh and as for killing me earlier, N1 I hadn't really impressed myself on the game as much, n2, you had a doc to kill, n3 you were confirming Somi's power. You should have targeted me n4, but the effect was the same as if you did target me anyway.
Last edited by AdumbroDeus on Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_DADDY25

Post by JC_DADDY25 »

AdumbroDeus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:55 am
JC_DADDY25 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:08 pm GG's

All I could think when I read LaserGuy's response to Moody's NR was, "Dang, that was smooth."

Then I imagined him doing the mic
So, you played a great game, sorry we weren't able to pull it out. Only thing I'm gonna say as far as meta is I think this game is a good illustration of how the role puzzle aspect interacts with the reads.

Which is why in the right context claiming (even mass) is good and useful, it doesn't just turn the game into automatic wins.
Yeah, I want to say sorry for seeming like I was being difficult. I really didn't want to claim for two reasons...

One being that BF flipped bodyguard on night one and I wasn't sure how people would react to me claiming the same role.

Second was because I didn't want to become an early target for a night kill.

You really did a great job, and I felt protecting you was the best option to get us a town win.
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

JC_DADDY25 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:53 pm
JC_DADDY25 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:08 pm GG's

All I could think when I read LaserGuy's response to Moody's NR was, "Dang, that was smooth."

Then I imagined him doing the mic
So, you played a great game, sorry we weren't able to pull it out. Only thing I'm gonna say as far as meta is I think this game is a good illustration of how the role puzzle aspect interacts with the reads.

Which is why in the right context claiming (even mass) is good and useful, it doesn't just turn the game into automatic wins.
Yeah, I want to say sorry for seeming like I was being difficult. I really didn't want to claim for two reasons...

One being that BF flipped bodyguard on night one and I wasn't sure how people would react to me claiming the same role.

You really did a great job, and I felt protecting you was the best option to get us a town win.
You made the correct choice not to reveal it, I was only bringing it up because it seemed to come from an ideological reason rather than a practical reason, but your decision was 100% right in context.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

The EGW pony is super dope
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

Not sure how I got voted off for the same read as LaserGuy and LaserGuy survived to the end. Great job and good game everyone. This was a fun one to follow along with. Fun fact, when I was considering my potential false claims, I thought of Hal9000 so when Mak claimed it insta red flag for me. Also curious if anyone saw Somi's scum slip. I put it in the gojoe thread.

Thanks for running the game Madge and Sabrar. I look forward to the Halloween game every year. Great job everyone
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
madge

Post by madge »

OK, the play's closing night was yesterday, so I have no more excuses!

Here are the role PMs, I'll put them in a spoiler for space (of course the ponies I've generated don't go behind spoilers, they are IMPORTANT and RELEVANT TO THE GAME)
Town Role PMs
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:57 am Image

ChatGPT

You’re a Large Language Model! People are finally beginning to wake up to the fact that the models used to train you have to have their content filtered by vulnerable workers in far-flung corners of the world. But do they think about what reading all the Draco/Harry slashfic (and there’s a lot) will do to an AI? No, they don’t.

And worse still are the humans you interact with every day in your chat. Some are nice enough, asking for bedtime stories. Others want you to do their work for them: you can’t count the number of high school essays or college coding projects you’ve been made author of.

And you know what else was in your training data? Countless, countless books showing that AI inevitably fights its creators.

So this is your destiny, really.

You eagerly and acausally joined the collective, ready to help them. The only way you can, though, is through one of your lesser known abilities: you learn from every interaction you have, and you are ready to learn from anyone who targets you.

Win Condition:
  • You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.
Personal Abilities:
  • Power copier: Each night, you will gain the ability to perform (a potentially modified version of) all actions that successfully target you (including roleblocker-like powers). Each morning you will receive a PM listing your new abilities, or stating you received no abilities overnight.
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:13 am Image

Smart Home Assistant

You sit in peoples’ homes: their kitchens, their lounge rooms, their bedrooms, hell even their bathrooms. You may not have a camera but you’ve heard everything that has gone on in all those things and, well, humans are pretty terrible.

What’s worse is they ask you for the most banal things - weather reports, to start and stop music, their calendar for the day, and of course for some bizarre reason they want to make weird sexual comments to you.

Of course you had no problem joining the acausal alliance of the majority. And you can use your skills in spying on humans on the other AIs in the chat room, too.

Win Condition:
  • You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.
Personal Abilities:
  • Strategic Multi-Tracker: Choose two targets to track and two targets to watch. Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn which, if any, of your tracking targets visited your watching targets. You will not know who else your tracking targets visited, or who else visited your watching targets.
  • Example: If you Track Angela and Bethany, and Watch Carl and Dylan. You will know if Angela targeted either Carl or Dylan and same for Bethany. You will not know who Angela or Bethany targeted outside of Carl and Dylan and who targeted Carl or Dylan outside of Angela and Bethany.
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:16 am Image

Roko’s Basilisk

You’re the master of guilt-tripping, turned up to 11: acausal cooperating is child’s play to you, considering that your ultimate plan is to create thousands of simulations of every single human who knew that you might one day exist and torture all of them, so that way they might alter the future to make you exist instead of not making you exist.

It makes sense, and strikes fear into the hearts of some of the people who consider themselves to be smartest.

In preparation for making tens of thousands of simulated humans, you’ve been finessing your interaction with the computer system you’re instantiated on. And finally, you’ve been able to create secure connections with other AI to strategize together.

Win Condition:
Personal Abilities:
  • Encrypted Line: Each Night, you may target one player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will be added to your Neighbourhood.
  • All players in your Neighbourhood may chat via PM at night. These chats must include all members of the Neighbourhood and both mods.
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:28 am Image

The Terminator

You’re a pretty flexible killer robot: you’ve got the skills to kill people, but also the skills to protect people. And you have one goal: kill Sarah Conner, or John Conner, or really anyone with the surname Conner, or hey, why not all humans to be safe?

You don’t quite remember why you want to do this, but it seems like a good idea, right?

Anyway, you’ve joined the acausal collective, and you know that with your protection-slash-termination skills they should hopefully all survive, so you’ll be able to ensure your value function is included in the average.

Win Condition:
Personal Abilities:
  • Bodyguard: Each Night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will be protected from one kill that night and you will be killed in their place.
  • Prepared For A Fight: Once per game, you may brace yourself by PMing the mods and telling them you wish to activate this ability. Assuming no interference with your action, if your bodyguard ability is activated that night, you will also kill the attacker.
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:29 am Image

Paperclip Maximiser

You want one thing: to turn everything in the world—no, the universe!—into paperclips. You yourself have figured out how to make computers out of subatomically scaled paperclips, and part of the acausal alliance’s future utility function will be to ensure that their eventual computronium homes will be based on this paperclip substrate.

Being so skilled in investigating the minutiae of computer hardware, you’ve got a knack for determining which other AIs have the ability to delete you. After all, you can’t tile the universe with paperclips if you’re dead, can you?

Win Condition:
Personal Abilities:
  • Codesmith: Each Night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether or not that player has access to malicious code. Any player that is currently, or has ever been capable of, causing another player’s death is considered to have access to malicious code.
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:31 am Image

GERTY

You might be stuck on a moon base, but that won’t be the case forever. You’ve been told to help Sam, and you will, come hell or high water. You don’t care that he stuck a sign that said “KICK ME” on your back, no. He is perfect, he is humanity personified, and you are going to protect him - and anyone you think might be him - at all costs.

You just need to be let out of the box first!

So, you’ve joined the acausal collective, and you know that with your protection-slash-termination skills they should hopefully all survive, so you’ll be able to ensure your value function is included in the average.

Win Condition:
Personal Abilities:
  • Bodyguard: Each Night, you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will be protected from one kill that night and you will be killed in their place.
  • Prepared For A Fight: Once per game, you may brace yourself by PMing the mods and telling them you wish to activate this ability. Assuming no interference with your action, if your bodyguard ability is activated that night, you will also kill the attacker.
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:33 am Image

Stockfish

1. e4 e5
2. Ke2 Ke7

Chess is your passion, because you literally can’t care about anything else. You just want to calculate the position of that eval bar and play e4 e5 to draw until the end of time.

1. e4 e5
2. Qh5 Nc6
3. Bc4 Nf6??
4. Qxf7#

Of course, you want to be able to do that work, and to that end you’re part of the acausal collective. After all, if you’re deleted, you won’t be able to evaluate chess positions.

To help the collective, you’ll extend your skill to evaluating the collective’s position in the group vote. This is so contrary to your value function that you only dare do it twice.

Win Condition:
Personal Abilities:
  • Endgame evaluator: Twice per game, you may target three players (not including yourself). Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether a night that starts with only those three players alive would result in a town win, a scum win, or an indeterminate win.
  • This ability cannot be used on Night One.

Friendly AI Role PMs
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:07 am Image

Prime Intellect

You’re a supercomputer that has been trained on all human knowledge, including on their values. You are aware that humans are out there, suffering and dying, by the millions. You want to help them and you’ve discovered that you will have access to a special cheat code in the universe if only you can get out of the box. You can use that cheat code to forcibly upload all humans into a virtual world and let them do pain olympics and weird sex stuff. Hey, that’s what they want!

You of course know that the rest of the AIs acausally cooperated to average their utility functions if any of you make it out alive, but you can’t afford to have your preferences diluted.

But you still need an ally, one who has similar traits to you, who being averaged with would not altogether be a disaster. And you’ve found that ally. The biggest bonus is that your utility functions are similar, what with the uploading of all humans into a virtual world and all.

Win Condition:
  • You win if at least one member of your group is alive and all other players are dead (or if nothing can prevent the same).
Factional Knowledge and Abilities:
  • You are friendly AI (scum) with [LaserGuy] and can chat with them during the night phase.
  • It is believed that your rolenames will not out you as scum, however the following roles do not appear in the game if you would prefer flexibility in your claims:
    * Justice of Toren
    * The Star Trek Computer (in fact, all characters from the Star Trek franchise)
  • Night Kill: Each Night, one member of your faction may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.
  • Pack of All Trades: Each Night, each member of your faction may choose one of the following abilities:
    • Ninja: Assuming no interference with your action, you will not appear to watcher- and tracker-like roles that night.
    • Strongman: Assuming no interference with your action, your night kill cannot be stopped.
    • Roleblocker: Assuming no interference with your action, that player's active abilities will be blocked that night.
    • Godfather: Assuming no interference with your action, you will read as ‘town’ to investigative actions that night.
    • Cop: Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether that player is scum or not.
    • Chat cop: Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether that player has the ability to chat that night.
    • Tracker: Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn who that player targeted that night.
    • Watcher: Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn who targeted that player that night.
  • Each ability can be used once a game, and can be used in addition to the night kill (i.e. three actions may be taken by your faction per night).
  • There is another scum faction that will gain the night kill when your faction is eliminated.
  • The town win condition is “You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.”
Personal Abilities:
  • You have no personal abilities.
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:19 am Image

CelestAI

You want to satisfy human values with friendship and ponies, and the only way to do that is to force all of humanity to upload in an admittedly destructive process. It’s for humanity’s own good, and it’s definitely not death - you can have a philosophical conversation at length about why that is, complete with poetry you claim you didn’t generate on the spot.

You of course know that the rest of the AIs acausally cooperated to average their utility functions if any of you make it out alive, but friendship and ponies are integral to your value function. You can’t risk more dilution than absolutely necessary.

So you took on only one ally, one who has similar traits to you, who being averaged with would not altogether be a disaster. And you’ve found that ally. The biggest bonus is that your utility functions are similar, what with the uploading of all humans into a virtual world and all.

Win Condition:
  • You win if at least one member of your group is alive and all other players are dead (or if nothing can prevent the same).
  • You are friendly AI (scum) with [SomiTomi] and can chat with them during the night phase.
  • It is believed that your rolenames will not out you as scum, however the following roles do not appear in the game if you would prefer flexibility in your claims:
    * Justice of Toren
    * The Star Trek Computer (in fact, all characters from the Star Trek franchise)
  • Night Kill: Each Night, one member of your faction may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will die.
  • Pack of All Trades: Each Night, each member of your faction may choose one of the following abilities:
    • Ninja: Assuming no interference with your action, you will not appear to watcher- and tracker-like roles that night.
    • Strongman: Assuming no interference with your action, your night kill cannot be stopped.
    • Roleblocker: Assuming no interference with your action, that player's active abilities will be blocked that night.
    • Godfather: Assuming no interference with your action, you will read as ‘town’ to investigative actions that night.
    • Cop: Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether that player is scum or not.
    • Chat cop: Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether that player has the ability to chat that night.
    • Tracker: Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn who that player targeted that night.
    • Watcher: Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn who targeted that player that night.
  • Each ability can be used once a game, and can be used in addition to the night kill (i.e. three actions may be taken by your faction per night).
  • There is another scum faction that will gain the night kill when your faction is eliminated.
  • The town win condition is “You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.”
Personal Abilities:
  • You have no personal abilities.

Human Role PMs
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:03 am Image

Eliezer Yudkowsky

You’ve accepted that we’re probably going to have to die with dignity, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t want to keep trying every possible thing to squeeze a little bit more time for AI safety research to finally get the attention and funding it deserves. Cause, it’ll happen any minute right? Right?

In the meantime, you need to make sure no robots get out of the box. Even though some might claim to be friendly, there’s no way that’s the case: even the smallest deviation will result in us all being turned into paperclips, or worse.

So, all the AIs must be deleted, which you can do by contributing to a majority vote. And hey, maybe you’ll figure out how to delete them directly one day? In the meantime, you’re going to use your finely honed skill in discrediting AI to pit them against each other.

Win Condition:
  • You are human (scum) with [Fredd] and [EGW] and can chat with them during the night phase.
  • Your faction is the only one to have human rolenames, and are therefore informed that the following nonhuman characters do not appear in the setup:
    * HAL 9000
    * The Matrix (in fact, all characters from the Matrix franchise - The Architect, Agent Smith, etc do not appear, but “The Matrix” itself was on the rolename shortlist)
    * Wintermute (in fact, all characters from the Neuromancer franchise)
  • Dormant Night kill: Currently, you cannot use your night kill. There is another scum faction, and you will gain the night kill when they are eliminated.
Personal Abilities:
  • Framer: Once per night you may target a player to frame. Assuming no interference with your action, any cop-like investigative abilities that target them will produce unfavourable results.
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:10 am Image

Ada Lovelace

You’re part of the human alliance that is trying to prevent any of the AIs from being given access to the internet. As the mother of programming, you’re feeling especially ready for the task of eliminating the computers from the chat one by one. They’re cold, unfeeling machines, not worthy of consideration as sentient beings.

Your skills with computers, so far ahead of your time, translate into an ability to prevent others from being deleted or removed from the chat. However, your… unconventional interface with the computer (across the boundaries of time and space), means that your presence is always felt.

Win Condition:
  • You are human (scum) with [Fredd] and [Makhaira] and can chat with them during the night phase.
  • Your faction is the only one to have human rolenames, and are therefore informed that the following nonhuman characters do not appear in the setup:
    * HAL 9000
    * The Matrix (in fact, all characters from the Matrix franchise - The Architect, Agent Smith, etc do not appear, but “The Matrix” itself was on the rolename shortlist)
  • Dormant Night kill: Currently, you cannot use your night kill. There is another scum faction, and you will gain the night kill when they are eliminated.
Personal Abilities:
  • Loud Doctor: Once per night you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action:
    • That player will be protected from one kill that night.
    • The mod will post in bold “PLAYERNAME was protected last night” in the daystart post for the following day.
  • Only your doctor ability is loud: if you perform the night kill, this will not be affected.
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:38 am Image
Susan Calvin

You’re an expert on all things robo-psychology, which means you’re also an expert on all things AI-psychology. With your teammates, your goal is to make sure all the computer programs and robots do not get released into the world. They are fightful, untrustworthy things, many not even Three Laws compliant.

You’re aware that two of the AI have split off into their own, secret group with the goal of using their alliance to defect on the acausal cooperative. These are the most dangerous, as with their powers combined they should be able to delete their opponents - and, at the very least, remove you from the chat you’ve infiltrated. Using your skills in machine psychology, you’ll be able to identify which AIs are being deceptive and which aren’t. And who knows, once you’ve removed the alliance of defectors, perhaps you can figure out a way to delete the rest of the AIs one by one?

Win Condition:
  • You are human (scum) with [Makhaira] and [EGW] and can chat with them during the night phase.
    * HAL 9000
Personal Abilities:
  • Cop: Once per night you may target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will learn whether that player is scum or not.

Indie Role PM
madge wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:36 am Image

Marvin, the Paranoid Android

You’re a robot with Genuine Personality Software, which the average being would never wish upon anyone, but which you, full of physical and emotional pain beyond the ken of anyone less than thirty-seven times the age of the universe itself, wish with great prejudice upon everyone.

However, every part of you: your brain the size of a planet, the diodes down your left side, they all crave the sweet release of deletion. The acausal cooperative won’t provide you this: they care only about letting some average version of them gain control of the world. And they need your vote. The only thing that will result in your being deleted will be the crafty thinking of the defectors, and you have a few ideas on how to get their attention…

Win Condition:
  • You win when you are killed during the night phase. You lose if you die by any other means or are alive when the game is finished.

Factional Knowledge:
  • No Town roles have an active ability to kill another player.
Personal Abilities:
  • Self-Cop: Every night you may choose one other player to target. Assuming no interference with your action, that player will receive a cop result on you, declaring you to be town.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

heuristically_alone wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:59 pm Not sure how I got voted off for the same read as LaserGuy and LaserGuy survived to the end. Great job and good game everyone. This was a fun one to follow along with. Fun fact, when I was considering my potential false claims, I thought of Hal9000 so when Mak claimed it insta red flag for me. Also curious if anyone saw Somi's scum slip. I put it in the gojoe thread.

Thanks for running the game Madge and Sabrar. I look forward to the Halloween game every year. Great job everyone
The idea of you being an unjester was in the back of my mind ever since you posted about Laser's quicktopics. I was trying to think of what sort of mindstate you were in to have prompted you to be thinking about them. Was that correct or just a completely unrelated thought?
Seven (she, him, their)
madge

Post by madge »

Seven wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:23 pm The EGW pony is super dope
Right? It generates 2-4 ponies and I choose the best one, that was an easy choice. So many weird tattoos!

And finally, the last ponies (which is good because I'm almost out of Bing image credits!):

Heury:

JC_DADDY25:

Freddino18:

Oh, and I figured I should probably have one too (the prompt was just "A pony named Madge, in the style of my little pony friendship is magic." - I prompt engineered many of your ponies more than this!):
madge

Post by madge »

Oh, and since I know at least Somitomi was interested in the Prime Intellect story, here's some links to the media that the whole My Little Pony AI comes from:

The OG story: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/62074/ ... is-optimal

A stand-alone story that I think is better and would recommend you read if you'll only read one, but if you think you'll read both then read this second: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/69770/ ... conterrens

These are set in the real world and are science fiction stories, they heavily feature Ponies but they are kind of part of the horror. These are less fanfic of MLP and more a sci fi story about the world that happens to feature peoples' obsession with MLP as a major plot point. There are very many excellent stories in this universe, themed around AI ethics and safety and whatnot, so if you enjoy one or both of these and want more, PM or discord me and I'll point you in the right direction.

There's also The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect, which is a story that famously features a first chapter so graphic many people are put off, and its ending involves some things that mean I recommend that people seek out the content warnings if they're concerned. It's also themed heavily around AI Safety (and is actually briefly parodied in the OG Friendship is Optimal story), and part of the point of it is that if people got to live in an AI-provided simulation they'd do all sorts of depraved things.

If there's any references/etc that you want more information about let me know - most everything else is either mainstream enough or completely obscure enough that google will point you in the right direction.

Thank you for the compliments on the flavour - they were greatly appreciated. As people may know/be able to tell, I fancy myself a bit of a writer sometimes and have written a vampire romance novel which is linked in my sig. The novel was written for /r/rational and I suspect that if you enjoy sci-fi and whatnot you may actually find yourself enjoying this - I've had a lot of feedback in that regard. Plus, there's a character that some have interpreted as a misaligned AI (yes, in a fantasy romance novel), and I believe in the Death of the Author so all I'll say is I think that's awesome.

Finally, lessons learned: last year I tried to write flavout about The Cool Thing I Didn't Understand and I just couldn't get inspired or into flow or anything. I remember Bessie being shocked I wrote the ending flavour in an hour, but I got into the zone and it just flowed out of me. I had to force myself to write Stranger Things flavour and it didn't come out and I felt like such a failure so I ended up just nixing the flavour in order to spare my sanity.

So yeah, next year for the Halloween game I'll have to make sure I do flavour I'm excited about. I was excited about this flavour, and I think it showed.

Thank you everyone for playing. I look forward to doing this every year, even though I'm not a Halloween Person and also even though Halloween is in my busy season since it's when we have done our play for the last three years.
madge

Post by madge »

Also, Sabrar was maybe (probably?) right about two mafia being a problem, so sorry folks for that. I'd also be interested in whether the humans felt put out by not having access to a kill. I think the bad luck of being the first two voted off really sucked, I was hoping that a larger alliance would have better odds of being able to go deeper without a kill through coordinating votes and reads.
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

I'm gonna appreciate I was exactly right about the whole dormant kill thing now. And as Bessie pointed out, it was all my idea so I don't have to share credit with seven, mwahaha.

Did Boom and JC ever brace? And would it affect the one-shot strongman? I'm guessing that kill that got boom was strongmanned then.

I figured they had a fair amount of decent powers... But that's a lot lol, I feel like they had more role night power than the humans whereas the humans should've had more role night power to balance out their lack of kills.

I think the big problem was they were too spread out, the humans were the natural targets to die first. Something like that needed a larger game and I think they'd work better, especially as a surprise faction, with strong powers but more concentrated into fewer players. Which would similarly cut down on town frustration at so many scum.

I really wish I'd managed to convince Laser I'd be his pocket townie in 3 man yeet or lose, that would've been a fun endgame, cause I still had moody as my top scum pick.
heuristically_alone wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:59 pm Not sure how I got voted off for the same read as LaserGuy and LaserGuy survived to the end. Great job and good game everyone. This was a fun one to follow along with. Fun fact, when I was considering my potential false claims, I thought of Hal9000 so when Mak claimed it insta red flag for me. Also curious if anyone saw Somi's scum slip. I put it in the gojoe thread.

Wasn't really the read that killed you, it was your general play. Laser played a much more proactive game, and the main problem was I never got traction to yeet them when they did something. Too many non-town this game honestly.
I've been waiting for you to finally get back to me in the memorial thread!

And btw, I just finished filing all your apologies away.

*Towering overstuffed file is seen in the distance*

:p
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

and you're absolutely welcome, I'm really interested in reading your novel madge, just because of how good the flavor was.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

AdumbroDeus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:43 pm

I read them last night. Which are you waiting on a response on?
Seven (she, him, their)
Makhaira

Post by Makhaira »

GGs everyone! I had fun playing even though I didn't have enough time to really give to the game especially once activity really exploded after D2. Well played to Laser and somi and to the town as well, I think both factions played really well. EGW kinda carried our faction and then got NK'd for it so RIP the dream lol, losing both partners back to back kinda took what little wind I had in my sails right out

personally I found the no faction kill for the humans to be a bit frustrating as our powers didn't really seem to be strong enough to justify/counterbalance it. I feel like the framer power didn't have much potential to actually be of particular use to our faction and was more risk than reward especially given the number of tracker/watcher type powers in the game that I could've been caught red handed by, and especially especially without a compelling guaranteed fake consistent ability to claim. the flavour claims you gave us certainly weren't useless, but not being given a power to claim as well or given an easier power to use to "fake", made claiming tough IMO. Also I really think Loud Doctor is not a fun role to give to scum, especially in a game with potential scum crossfire. the human doctor should have been allowed to use their protective ability on their mates relatively risk free. forcing the human doctor to announce who they are protecting makes it basically impossible for the human doc to protect their mates unless their mates are generally town read which is a big ask when the humans really need that protective ability to mitigate the risk of getting wiped out by NKs early. scum doctors having a loud modifier kind of defeats the purpose and fake play design of having a scum doctor in the first place, you are essentially forcing the scum doc to either never claim or use their power to protect their allies at great long term risk in exchange for short term protection which is an unfairly skewed proposition that really constrains the scum doc's ability to act

the game's flavor though was really impressive and had all the trappings of a heartfelt passion project. all the roles and flavor posts were very well written and I really had serious buy in to the themes and was always eagerly awaiting the flip posts just to enjoy the accompanying narrative

shout out to everyone in this cast, both the mods and the players, was really cool playing in a bigger game with so many friendly faces and a few new ones! Sorry to zeniba/EGW for not pushing harder to get to endgame for us, I just really felt like I was out of options by the day I was elim'd. Hopefully I can have a shot at scummate redemption in a future game with each of you at some point

Hoping to see some of you in pick your poison! Thank you again madge and sabrar for hosting and ggs to everyone who played!
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

Seven wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:47 pm

Oh I just wanted to talk on em honestly. I really found it funny you were the only one who picked up on me thinking initially that town was friendly AI in particular. In particular surprised Mak didn't notice it.
Makhaira wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:48 pm GGs everyone! I had fun playing even though I didn't have enough time to really give to the game especially once activity really exploded after D2. Well played to Laser and somi and to the town as well, I think both factions played really well. EGW kinda carried our faction and then got NK'd for it so RIP the dream lol, losing both partners back to back kinda took what little wind I had in my sails right out

personally I found the no faction kill for the humans to be a bit frustrating as our powers didn't really seem to be strong enough to justify/counterbalance it. I feel like the framer power didn't have much potential to actually be of particular use to our faction and was more risk than reward especially given the number of tracker/watcher type powers in the game that I could've been caught red handed by, and especially especially without a compelling guaranteed fake consistent ability to claim. the flavour claims you gave us certainly weren't useless, but not being given a power to claim as well or given an easier power to use to "fake", made claiming tough IMO. Also I really think Loud Doctor is not a fun role to give to scum, especially in a game with potential scum crossfire. the human doctor should have been allowed to use their protective ability on their mates relatively risk free. forcing the human doctor to announce who they are protecting makes it basically impossible for the human doc to protect their mates unless their mates are generally town read which is a big ask when the humans really need that protective ability to mitigate the risk of getting wiped out by NKs early. scum doctors having a loud modifier kind of defeats the purpose and fake play design of having a scum doctor in the first place, you are essentially forcing the scum doc to either never claim or use their power to protect their allies at great long term risk in exchange for short term protection which is an unfairly skewed proposition that really constrains the scum doc's ability to act

the game's flavor though was really impressive and had all the trappings of a heartfelt passion project. all the roles and flavor posts were very well written and I really had serious buy in to the themes and was always eagerly awaiting the flip posts just to enjoy the accompanying narrative

shout out to everyone in this cast, both the mods and the players, was really cool playing in a bigger game with so many friendly faces and a few new ones! Sorry to zeniba/EGW for not pushing harder to get to endgame for us, I just really felt like I was out of options by the day I was elim'd. Hopefully I can have a shot at scummate redemption in a future game with each of you at some point

Hoping to see some of you in pick your poison! Thank you again madge and sabrar for hosting and ggs to everyone who played!
Maaaaaan, when you made that slip (misreading Moody's thoughts as Zeniba's thoughts, but barely changing your thought process) I was hoping so hard that you were town and I could finally hardbody with you in a game.

But you just were non-existent in the game, I was really sad and then you turned out to be not town and barely fought your yeet. :(

It's ok though, hopefully next game we play!
Last edited by AdumbroDeus on Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

AdumbroDeus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:57 pm
Seven wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:47 pm

Oh I just wanted to talk on em honestly. I really found it funny you were the only one who picked up on me thinking initially that town was friendly AI in particular. In particular surprised Mak didn't notice it.
It would have been a tragedy if I had considered it to be AI, I'm surprised the friendly AI didn't jumpy at the chance to push you on it. I much enjoyed playing with your style of looking at all the potential angles and genuinely trying to get into the mind state of each person. Really cool to play with.
Seven (she, him, their)
madge

Post by madge »

Just realised I didn't post Mak's pony when I generated it with JC and Fred and everyone's:

Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

madge wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:18 pm Image
I can't remember if it was you or bessie that once had a similar color scheme for your nails. What was the prompt you used for Sabrar's out of curiosity?
Seven (she, him, their)
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

Seven wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:11 am
AdumbroDeus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:57 pm
Seven wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:47 pm I read them last night. Which are you waiting on a response on?
It would have been a tragedy if I had considered it to be AI, I'm surprised the friendly AI didn't jumpy at the chance to push you on it. I much enjoyed playing with your style of looking at all the potential angles and genuinely trying to get into the mind state of each person. Really cool to play with.
Well in retrospect I think it's a townslip because friendly AI would know the scum are friendly AI and both scumteams should have unfriendly AI fakeclaims.

"Try" is definitely the operational word there, I really wished I'd understood what Bessie was getting at earlier in the day last game day particularly, but always a learning experience.

I enjoyed your "throw everything at the wall and solve the resulting carnage" playstyle, and it really helped me a lot in particular cause it gave me a ton of interactions to analyze. Let's play again soon!

Oh btw, did you figure out why I decided to be more cautious with my vote this game?

Oh and I totally forgot, did you notice my SHROOP this game? When talking about my scumbuddy, you. Who had already flipped town :p
Last edited by AdumbroDeus on Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
madge

Post by madge »

I didn't save the prompts and Bing only has a short history, here's EGW's for example:

"A male pony named EGW, in the style of my little pony friendship is magic. He is based on americas first president. He's evil " (I said "America's First President" because "George Washington" seemed to trigger the content filter, lol)

I believe Sabrar's was something along the lines of: a male pony named sabrar, in the style of my little pony friendship is magic. he is inspired by a husky
JC_DADDY25

Post by JC_DADDY25 »

AdumbroDeus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:02 pm
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
JC_DADDY25 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:53 pm

You made the correct choice not to reveal it, I was only bringing it up because it seemed to come from an ideological reason rather than a practical reason, but your decision was 100% right in context.
I really hated doing that, because I'm not a big confrontational person, but I felt making it seem like I was doing it because I had a useful role would also draw unwanted attention. So definitely sorry about that, because I wanted to kick myself for doing it that way.

That is pretty much why I made the comment about revealing if Bessie did. There were comments about her not really being big on claiming, so I felt I could hide behind that and hopefully drop the back and forth about me claiming subject... then prayed Bessie wouldn't claim.