Halloween Mafia 2021 - The Party Trap - Day 7

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
Wam

Re: Halloween Mafia 2021 - The Party Trap

Post by Wam »

Sorry for the stream of posts. My view on the cult is they have a day recruit and we got lucky and they are now in the limbo pool.
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

OK, to aid in my catch up, I'm going to quickly summarise what we know.

Players:
1. heuristically_alone/Seven
Alive, but has been rezzed so is finally dead next time
D1 elim (hammer - somitomi, suzaku, wam, bessie, the snide sniper, patzer)
Rezzed D2 - self rez LIKELY
Claimed Phoenix (one-time self rez)
Claimed NK on BoomFrog
Claimed got a 1 shot non-revivable kill on ressurection

2. moody7277
Alive

3. bessie
Alive

4. laserguy
Alive

5. jimbob
Dead, but can be rezzed
N2 NK

6. BoomFrog
permenantly dead: Ellen Ripley, town Jack of All Trades
N2 NK (claimed by Seven)

7. wam
Alive

8. somitomi
Alive

9. patzer
Dead, but can be rezzed
D2 elim (plurality - bessie, wam, Seven)
Claimed Mafia/Non-Mafia cop.

10. suzaku
Alive, but has been rezzed so is finally dead next time
N1 NK - Only I know this, but from flavour was almost certainly the Mafia NK. I will disclose the flavour if anyone wishes to know.
Rezzed D3 - rezzerd by external force (only I know this for sure), likely a night action.

11. the snide sniper
Alive

There has been 1 live player (not necessarily the same one) in the cult at each morning.
D1 - this could be any player NOT {BoomFrog} # BF died and flipped as town, therefore has never been in the cult barring more weirdness than I expect
D2 - this could be any player NOT {BoomFrog, heury/Seven, Suzaku}
D3 - this could be any player NOT {BoomFrog, Suzaku, patzer, jimbob}

From this bit, it follows that:
D3 dawn cultist is in {Seven, moody, bessie, laserguy, wam, somitomi, the snide sniper}
But Seven can be cult IFF D2 dawn cultist is in {patzer, jimbob} if rez-as-cult, or if recruited N2 and cult in {patzer, jimbob} (Suzaku, being dead N2 could not have recruited her).

Of the current limbo dwellers (jimbob, patzer), I tend to believe patzer's claim, and I think jimbob was likely town also.
This means, to my mind the set {Seven, moody, bessie, laserguy, wam, somitomi, the snide sniper, Suzaku} contains 1 cult, 1 survivor, 2 Mafia and 4 town.

I'll admit that I'm having a lot of trouble seeing Seven as town, at this point, although I'll need to do a proper reread to confirm or deny that. Logic says she's likely not cult, and I don't really see her as Mafia either, so the open question is does her play match survivor?
Of the others, gut says that TSS is newbietown, and laserguy is still likely town. Would take a lot to convince me to vote for them today.

Other reads will have to wait until later tonight when I have time to read in more detail.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept. 1982
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Welcome back, Suzaku!
Suzaku wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:14 am Rezzed D3 - rezzerd by external force (only I know this for sure), likely a night action.
I can confirm it was external, I'm a Resurrector and I had a shot that I used on you last night.
Seven wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:29 am Partner slip from somi here:
Or perhaps I read that post back then and wound up conflating it with your claim. I checked back and didn't see you correcting it, so even if you don't believe we came to this conclusion independently, I don't think this proves any kind of secret communication.
Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:57 am @seven you state somi has many scum tells but I dont think you have ever detailed the case?
She did point out a couple things like that "buddy slip" above, but she hasn't presented an actual case yet, no.
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
Wam

Post by Wam »

To be clear given the snide/patzer claim debacle. If you rezzed suzaku and are not called somitomi you should claim ASAP!

To be clear I did not rez suzaku.
Wam

Post by Wam »

Also suzkaku that's a really useful summary!

So I went and did a seven read through thoughts below, seven posts a lot so it's long!

I haven't re read Heury but they were the day 1 elim and their play matches their scum wwz play.

First reads are
viewtopic.php?p=8230#p8230

Pushing patzer and moody as scum buddies.

Defends me viewtopic.php?p=8240#p8240

Moves to somi with a bottom two of patzer and somi. Boom 3rd from top.

viewtopic.php?p=8272#p8272

Seven wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:17 pm
-Suzaku and me are confirmed non-cultists due to the 1 cult member being alive at day start.
Dont like this think town seven would have bee aware that it could have been a recruit rex.
Seven wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:51 pm I also doubt Suzaku was vig killed considering no one was really scum reading him strongly.
Interesting suggestion given the boom kill.

viewtopic.php?p=8371#p8371

Swings to a bottom 4 of

Pat - Survivor
Wam - Mafia
TSS - Mafia
Somi - Cultist

No mention of moody now and I have swung a long way down the list suddenly.

Still mo real explanation of the somi read.

viewtopic.php?p=8466#p8466

Finally some actual points against somi...

viewtopic.php?p=8466#p8466

Attacks boom for voting moody.

This post followed by
viewtopic.php?p=8598#p8598

This one
viewtopic.php?p=8724#p8724

Make the boom shot seem really weird.

The below is interesting dont see how town seven loses track of the minimum number of town players are in the
Seven wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:39 am I'm legit town so one of you is a liar. Laser claim
Seven questions in red below
Seven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:18 am Why do you keep leaving.

heuristically_alone
BoomFrog

patzer - wouldn't vote moody to save self was patzer around at deadline.
jimbob - not survivor cause was playing with too much gust, not cult because start of day count, not mafia because was killed some players can have gust as survivor. Also why not consider a day recruit?

bessie - obv town or most manipulative scum player in existence
the snide sniper - obv town, needs prods

laserguy - played strong day one and so has been coasting from that. Pretended (?) to think my claim was real? @ laser can you explain this

suzaku - could be anything but cult

wam - voted Pat over moody. Only person who would kill suzaku n1 I asked this before and you ignored it why only me?

moody7277 - only person that thinks I'm town. TMI possibly. Booms legacy

somitomi - incredibly scummy
Seven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:53 pm Also, for the record boom probably investigated moody in some fashion hence his adamant push on him yesterday despite the case being weak.
Still dont like this can you answer the questions.below?
Wam wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:11 pm
Seven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:06 pm
Seven wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:02 pm I'm out of town for the weekend and typing mobile is the worst, so nothing substantial until I get home.
@wam
I know just making sure it doesn't get forgotten.
Seven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:53 pm Also, for the record boom probably investigated moody in some fashion hence his adamant push on him yesterday despite the case being weak.
Really and why didnt boom claim? Or bring it up earlier in the day?

Let's ask boom, on wait you shot them.

viewtopic.php?p=8894#p8894

Pushing for claims recently is weird.
Seven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:42 pm
There's nothing to defend against. You're making a claim that Jim killed boom. I know that's not the case so would like to try and sort what is going on. I've been resigned to being eliminated ever since I truthfully claimed my role.
But you havent been resigned to being eliminated eyou have been throwing wilder and wilder posts around looking for an anyone but seven elim.

viewtopic.php?p=8925#p8925
Suddenly now snide has a mafia result.on seven they have gone from obvs town to definitely scum. I asked the question as town seven who genuinely believed in their snide=obv town earlier in the day would have been looking at other options. Instead seven ignores it.

Ok this is very long and I need to go do some things so will come back to sevens boom kill.logic post later.
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

OK, I'm not running on all cylinders this evening, and I'm probably not going to make it through reading even all of D3. Will bang in what I can and return refreshed (with any luck) tomorrow.
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

OK, falling asleep at the keyboard, but here are some thoughts from at least reading D3 in some detail (no iso or anything):

@somi - thanks for the rez (I think, and assuming it was you).

Biggest stand out (modulo the Boom kill claim) is bessie and her theory on the second kill.
My understanding of her theory (@bessie - If I misstate you, please correct)
 jimbob is Mafia and had a non-ressurectable kill. (I'm interpreting Strongman this way as it make sense from both the theory and the fact that Boom instaflipped).
 Boom had a PGO as one of his JOAT powers and used it last night.
 jimbob killed Boom, got taken out by the PGO, Seven claimed she shot boom to cover for jim in the hope that jim would be rezzed.

Occam's razor says this is less likely than scum!Seven shooting Boom, so I'm interested in hearing the reasons bessie believes it.

I have a feeling that the lack of cult increase may be due to both the cultist and Mafia wanting to hit the same target, and therefore the recruit has overlapped with the kill, preventing it (kill resolves first per this post.

Someone somewhere (maybe Seven, maybe D2) mentioned that they thought there may be a necromancer. How would that role work in a game where there is cult? (For the record, I was the necromancer in one of Lataro's games, and was basically a reflavoured cultist.)

I need to clear my head and do a reset on Seven. Confirmation bias is making me see everything she says as way scummy (or everything she's saying is way scummy and I'm overthinking it).

@The Snide Sniper: I know what you mean about being overwhelmed by a game. Sorry you feel that way.
Can you clarify what your cop power detects?

OK, I'm fading. More tomorrow when I've got a fresh head on.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

@wam so many of the questions you ask, stuff you point out are bad faith. Like the thing about me and suzaku not being cultist. I clarified later that I was specifically referring to cult leader, so why are you treating it as otherwise?
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
Wam

Post by Wam »

So comments below in red as before.
Seven wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:03 am
Wam wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:08 am
LaserGuy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:36 am I feel like maybe there were other places that shot could have been used that might have been more useful.
Seven you were pushing hard for somi end of day. Why a sudden boom pivot?

I just dont see how you can be a positive force for town after that and it's going to have to be some amazing logic when your back!
Ok, so the first thing you have to know about me is that I'm not a bottom-up thinker. That is, I don't start from an origin point and discover a destination. Rather I start from the possible destinations and eliminate them (in clusters if possible) until only one remains. So I think a discussion around this will have to wait until after the game.

Illustration of bottom up:
:arrow:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Making my way downtown
Walking fast, faces pass and I'm homebound
Staring blankly ahead
Just making my way
Making a way through the crowd
Trying to figure out where to go
Based on the evidence
That I'm slowly piecing togetherrr

Illustration of top down:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
One by one my branches are trimmed
One by one my leaves fall
One by one my tales are told
One by one until only one
My, oh my!
She was aiming too high
He says Adiós, says Adiós

So yes, if I were an evidence-based bottom-up player, I would have killed somi and used his flip to guide forward movement. But in my future-oriented world where I am trimming destinations, it's just not as alluring because somi is mafia in 90% of the branches, whereas Boom is (was) mafia in like 40% This is where we diverge, your trimming destinations that give you the solve. Your destination choice is wrong you should be trimming destinations to leave more that give a town win. There is no point you having the solve if your the last townie left with 2 mafia, cult and survivor. This really feels like the thinking of a non town seven

So using my shot on somi has a 90% chance of only eliminating 10% of the branches. Or a 10% chance at eliminating 90% of the branches.
Boom had a 40% chance of eliminating 60% of the branches or a 60% chance of eliminating 40% of the branches.

I'm struggling to put it into words but continuing from my previous point if you think about game results not solving the picture you should have shot somi. Using your numbers above you took out a whole pile of town win branches as by your numbers you had a 60% chance of taking out an extra townie.

So like there is like a 2-3 times as much value in seeing a boom flip for solving the game. And that's not even taking account into the fact that Boom is a mafia power player who would be very difficult to eliminate through voting, especially if he was bussing moody (which I thought to be the case).
What about Boom being a valuable town player for the solve? Also if you were sold on boom bussing moody why not shoot moody?
---

Ok so now onto my logic for why I thought boom was likely scum.

Assumption: The game consists of 7 town

Heuryzen - is town.

Jim - Is not survivor because he is playing with too much gust and not afraid to be night killed. Is not cult for the same reason. So Jim as scum is mafia only. However, Jim was resistant to eliminating Pat at the EoD rather than taking the opportunity to eliminate a mafia cop; therefore, Jim is not mafia either. Jim is town.

Bessie - Has been very open with her speculations even when they are a long shot (such as testing to see if there was a militant atheist (I don't know what that is btw)). Bessie as scum keeps this sort of speculation close to the vest/in scum chats. Bessie is town.

Wam - He has interacted with everyone consistently. And this line about Heury seems to come from a town mindset because it's a throwaway that he didn't bother to elaborate on, but which I presume was due to his experience with Heury in WWZ: viewtopic.php?p=7001#p7001. Wam is likely town.

Laser - Being so direct here feels so natural and townie: viewtopic.php?p=6968#p6968. Additionally, a possible Laser meta tell: he isn't explaining his shifting thought processes in thread, which means he's doing the bulk of it in his quicktopic which means he's probably town. Key word there is 'shifting'. I think town/indie Laser may appear to be much more tunnely in thread because he has already worked out his views in private. Like how he keeps giving the same reasoning over and over again for why he thinks I'm Survivor etc. It's so tunnely. Scum Laser I think is more apt to try to give the impression of pondering and changing views. Laser is likely town.

Sniper - The we post here seems obvnewbie town: viewtopic.php?p=6900#p6900. Considering I'm town, this post is townie: viewtopic.php?p=7165#p7165 because his idea of Pat being scum is centered on the idea of me being her partner. The reasoning for his heury vote seems genuine here: viewtopic.php?p=7933#p7933. Snide is likely town.

So with 6 town players that means that only one of the following players is town:

Boom
Pat
Moody
Somi
Suzaku

Boom - Weird moody push. Didn't seem like he was actually trying to save Pat at EoD and was just doing it for show. The "I'll compromise to somi or ToS" made me feel like he and moody were partners and he was just doing everything for show / lack of consequence of bussing due to revival. It's very difficult to sort out what is mafia boomfrog and what are simply boomfrog idiosyncracies.

Pat - believe to be cult

Moody - seems townie in his responses to pressure

Somi - many scum tells

Suzaku - unknown

-Suzaku isn't mafia because he was night killed
-Moody and Pat aren't a mafia team based on the way he responded to the idea that he bussed day 1
-Moody probably isn't mafia with somi based on his gusto and somi's lack thereof.
-Boom isn't partners with Pat because he was treating her like a newbie town miselim.
-Boom and somi could be partners. Boom and moody could be partners (see above reasoning).

Therefore, the scum group is not Suzaku/Pat/Moody/Somi. Therefore either Boomfrog is mafia OR I am incorrect about at least one of the bottom three in my town group (Wam, Laser, Sniper).

And so I killed BoomFrog to see which of those realities we are in and why I've been skeptical of Wam and Laser today more than I was before. Also I wrote the above in present tense but that was my reasoning going into the night not my current stance. As of where we are now, I still am reading wam as town. Like he's just playing a superb scum game if so. Laser I am very skeptical of because I think his play could be just as much 3rd party as it is town. And his not voting thing just feels like it would fit one of the 3P roles, like by not voting he gets some sort of immunity during the night or something. I had Sniper as obvtown most of the game, but it's seeming likely that the he and somi are just mafia. I would very much like an explanation for why he didn't investigate Pat Night 1. You know that an elim of you solves snide as well? Which makes much more sense as snide wouldn't flip if we eliminated them today.

So my current town grouping is:

Me
Boom
Jim
Bessie
Wam
Pat

The third parties are in: Suzaku, Laser, Moody

Mafia
Sniper
Somi
I have done a full re read and I just can't see past Seven being anti town. Having done all the reading the only thing I'm happy seven isn't is cult. As I can see cult having a day recruit but a day 1 day recruit seems very OP.

I'm leaving my vote where it is and I can't see another viable option today. My only worry is that it's too obvious and anti town are hiding but I don't think I'm wrong.
Wam

Post by Wam »

Seven wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:28 pm @wam so many of the questions you ask, stuff you point out are bad faith. Like the thing about me and suzaku not being cultist. I clarified later that I was specifically referring to cult leader, so why are you treating it as otherwise?
Happy to be corrected but where as I missed that?
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pm Dont like this think town seven would have bee aware that it could have been a recruit rex.
Was talking about cult leader. See bottom response to somi here and the actual way I used the word throughout the post you quoted. -1
Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pmInteresting suggestion given the boom kill.
Not even slightly. Given that I had a vig shot I knew it was unlikely Suzaku was vigged so had to make up some reason. -1
Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pmSwings to a bottom 4 of

Pat - Survivor
Wam - Mafia
TSS - Mafia
Somi - Cultist
This was NOT my bottom 4. You completely removed the line that said "Theory." This was just me running through possible scenarios. -1 jeez wam the misrep is not looking good, are you actually just scum here?
Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pm Make the boom shot seem really weird.

The below is interesting dont see how town seven loses track of the minimum number of town players are in the
Both of these are explained in my mega post above. There was no miscounting there. I knew if Boom flipped town that it was highly likely at least one of the bottom people in my town group were scum. -1 because you're not even trying to put my words into context, you're just making a case in the most unfavorable light you can
Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pmis weird
You keep saying this throughout your post, but it doesn't actually mean anything. People just use this when they are trying to get someone elimmed.

Yeah Wam dropped of several points after this post. It's so badfaith.
Seven (she, him, their)
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:00 am Sorry for the stream of posts. My view on the cult is they have a day recruit and we got lucky and they are now in the limbo pool.
"They" being who?
Dont like this think town seven would have bee aware that it could have been a recruit rex.
The there are x members of cult alive message only counts living members. If Seven had been resurrected as cult, it wouldn't have shown up in the count until D3. So it's possible we have a scenario where, for example, patzer was cult leader and resurrected Seven, then patzer is yeeted and Seven is now the only surviving member of the cult. I don't think this scenario is particularly likely, however, unless recruits are blind to who the leader is or something.

I did not rez Suzaku.
Seven wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:03 am had Sniper as obvtown most of the game, but it's seeming likely that the he and somi are just mafia. I would very much like an explanation for why he didn't investigate Pat Night 1.
What value would there be in scum!TSS claiming a mafia result on you? Or in spontaneously claiming cop at all?
Seven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:56 pm @somi, no my role name is literally Phoenix. So I want to know if Sniper is a Phoenix and Cop or a Cop that looks for Phoenixes. If the latter, his guilty result could just be the fact that I am a Phoenix. If the former, that disproves the Zeneury is Survivor speculation.
Just to clarify, are you saying that your flavor/character name is Phoenix, or your actual role name?

Haven't had the time to do full rereads, but here's some sort of quick thoughts.

heuristically_alone Seven: Confirmed mafia if TSS is Town.* Not cult (D2 day start message). Likely a scum slot of some kind given heury's D1 play. I don't buy Seven's argument here that heury was intentionally replicating a recent scum game on purpose as there's no reason for Town!heury to do this and I kind of feel like he would have tried to mention it if that were the case. This comes across as heury is not aware that this his happening. I don't buy this reasoning for shooting BoomFrog.

moody7277: Kind of a PoE scum slot. That said, my gut is that this is moody's Town game.

bessie: Town.

laserguy: Town.

jimbob: Likely scum if bessie is Town.

BoomFrog: Confirmed Town, dead.

wam: PoE scum slot. I don't really get the same vibes from him that I saw in ND3 so I'm leaning scum, but it wouldn't shock me if he were Town either.

somitomi: Confirmed Town if TSS is Town.* Probably scum otherwise.

patzer: Likely scum. Probably Survivor if Seven is mafia.

suzaku: Not mafia (by NK). Not cult leader (by D2 day start message), but could have been recruited upon rez. I don't think I really buy that cult!somi would claim to have rezzed Suzaku though. Can't rule out survivor!Suzaku, but doesn't seem likely to me.

the snide sniper: This post looks really honest and townie to me. I think this is a super ballsy thing for newbie scum to attempt and don't really see an upside to scum!TSS doing so, regardless of his faction. Don't care much for his play otherwise, but w/e, he's probably Town.

[*]Barring some other interference shenanigans like redirects, framers, etc.

It's hard to disentangle all of the night results from each other so I don't really know how to order people just yet. One possible world I can see working is this one:

Very unlucky cult leader whose recruits keep failing: Wam (or moody)
Survivor: Patzer
Mafia: Jimbob/Seven
Wam

Post by Wam »

@laser patzer or jimbob for "they".
Wam

Post by Wam »

Seven wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:57 pm
Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pm Dont like this think town seven would have bee aware that it could have been a recruit rex.
Was talking about cult leader. See bottom response to somi here and the actual way I used the word throughout the post you quoted. -1

yep missed that
Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pmInteresting suggestion given the boom kill.
Not even slightly. Given that I had a vig shot I knew it was unlikely Suzaku was vigged so had to make up some reason. -1
Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pmSwings to a bottom 4 of

Pat - Survivor
Wam - Mafia
TSS - Mafia
Somi - Cultist
This was NOT my bottom 4. You completely removed the line that said "Theory." This was just me running through possible scenarios. -1 jeez wam the misrep is not looking good, are you actually just scum here?

in what world does theory followed by 4 names against anti town faction not mean your bottom 4 at that time were those 4? I'm baffled by this anyone else want to tell me 2+2 =10
Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pm Make the boom shot seem really weird.

Both of these are explained in my mega post above. There was no miscounting there. I knew if Boom flipped town that it was highly likely at least one of the bottom people in my town group were scum. -1 because you're not even trying to put my words into context, you're just making a case in the most unfavorable light you can

I was quite clear I did the re read before reading your large logic post so yes that didnt factor into the read at that point
Wam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:00 pmis weird
You keep saying this throughout your post, but it doesn't actually mean anything. People just use this when they are trying to get someone elimmed.

weird was my short hand for I dont understand why town seven would do this.

Yeah Wam dropped of several points after this post. It's so badfaith.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

More from Wam (parenthesis mine for clarity):
Still dont like this (the idea that Boom investigated moody)
How? It's super obvious.
Pushing for claims recently is weird.
How, you've played in half a dozen games with me by now and know I prefer open information. I stated this at the beginning of WWZ that I'd prefer if everyone just claimed every game, but I don't push it because of the sideshow it becomes.
But you havent been resigned to being eliminated eyou have been throwing wilder and wilder posts around looking for an anyone but seven elim.
lol no, I'm trying to find scum. I knew I was going to be eliminated at some point so I've been trying to position the game in a way that helps town solve it afterward. Again, that's just how I play/think. It's rarely about the now, it's about making the final outcome.
Suddenly now snide has a mafia result.on seven they have gone from obvs town to definitely scum. I asked the question as town seven who genuinely believed in their snide=obv town earlier in the day would have been looking at other options. Instead seven ignores it.
The only reason I think Snide is mafia is because he investigated Somi rater than his scumread, Pat. @Laser this to you as well. And I've been very specific with my wording, I've never once said Snide is "definitely scum." I've said things like "probably just mafia" and "it's looking like he's just mafia here." But IDK until he starts replying to stuff.
Seven (she, him, their)
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

LaserGuy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:57 pm Mafia: Jimbob/Seven
Wait you and bessie are legit actual lovers? Huh.
Seven (she, him, their)
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Are you guys alignment confirmed?
Seven (she, him, their)
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Wam Red Questions:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
-was patzer around at deadline.
Yes, it was the reason Boom town read her because she wouldn't switch to moody even though it would have saved her. She was dead set on me.

-some players can have gust as survivor. Also why not consider a day recruit?
I elaborated on this in the mega post. Jim's gust means he's not afraid to be night killed. That's not 3P play.

-I asked this before and you ignored it why only me?
I change my mind on this somewhat. I was under the impression that you and Suzaku are able to read each other fairly well. I figured you were friends due to cohosting NNY. I also remember you saying there was someone who had a meta tell on you and could read you 80% of the time correctly. I thought this was suzaku, but I looked it up after you asked me and it was someone else.

-Really and why didnt boom claim? Or bring it up earlier in the day?
Because he didn't want to out himself yet? Is that really that hard to piece together?

-Also if you were sold on boom bussing moody why not shoot moody?
Because mafia Boom would have lived through endgame due to the bus.

-You know that an elim of you solves snide as well? Which makes much more sense as snide wouldn't flip if we eliminated them today.
Yes?
Seven (she, him, their)
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

Seven wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:16 pm Are you guys alignment confirmed?
No, we don't have any specific attachment.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

LaserGuy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:21 pm
Then why do you think Jimbob is mafia? That's the kind of absurd overthinking I'd find from me or bessie, but not you.

To answer the Phoenix question, it's my role name. I don't think I have a flavor name.
Seven (she, him, their)
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Sorry for all the posts, I just need to go study and want to get all my thoughts out there in case I'm quick hammered while gone: but I looked up town of salem roles and they have a cult-equivalent, the coven. So Sniper's confusion about the cult being a separate faction from the mafia Day 1 (I think it was like page 1 or 2) is off because the mafia team is a separate faction there too.
Seven (she, him, their)
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Seven wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:03 am
So yes, if I were an evidence-based bottom-up player, I would have killed somi and used his flip to guide forward movement. But in my future-oriented world where I am trimming destinations, it's just not as alluring because somi is mafia in 90% of the branches, whereas Boom is (was) mafia in like 40%

So using my shot on somi has a 90% chance of only eliminating 10% of the branches. Or a 10% chance at eliminating 90% of the branches.
Boom had a 40% chance of eliminating 60% of the branches or a 60% chance of eliminating 40% of the branches.

So like there is like a 2-3 times as much value in seeing a boom flip for solving the game. And that's not even taking account into the fact that Boom is a mafia power player who would be very difficult to eliminate through voting, especially if he was bussing moody (which I thought to be the case).
I was thinking about this on my way to the grocery store when I realised this is so wrong on every level there's no way that Boomfrog kill came from town-Seven.
Section I: Responsible handling of deadly weapons
This kill final, making it one of the strongest weapons in the town arsenal. Whoever gets hit with it is out of the game for good. First rule of firearm safety is that you never point this power at town, because you want them alive or at least revivable. In the hands of town, this is not a power for investigating whether someone is guilty, this is a power for prosecuting the guilty after you've found them using the regular investigation methods.
According to Seven he considered the probability of mafia-BoomFrog 40%, meaning he was quite far from thinking BoomFrog was proven guilty.
Section II: killing for information
There are two ways a flip can be used to determine the alignment of others: first by analysing how the flipped slot interacted with others and secondly by analysing how everyone interacted with the flipped slot. The first method works better with a mafioso flip than a town flip, because they know more about the setup and have to act on this knowledge. Town players tend to publicate most of what they know (except their role) and their flip merely verifies their posts as an accurate representation of their thoughts. The second method works well if the player in question is a source of controversy, townread by some and scumread by others. It's much harder for mafia to blend in with the crowd when it comes to a slot that divides opinion compared to someone with a universal town or scumread. The alignment of the slot is less important here, but mafia flips are still a little more useful as town can look for unjustified townreads on the slot or bussing. Therefore if you were to kill someone for information, you'd probably aim for likely mafia or pick a controversial player.
If I recall correctly, BoomFrog was in the town-neutral range for pretty much everyone, not a very good gauge in this respect.
Section III: maximising utility
While it is true that the flip of likely mafia doesn't reveal as much as the flip of an uncertain player, using only this metric ignores the massive negative effect of killing town mentioned above. Tthe relative positive value of a town flip compared to the negative value of town death changes over the course of the game, but when it comes to elimination the consensus is to aim for the player most likely to be mafia even on D1 when a town death is the least detrimental. Even if you account for the information gained from the flip, a kill is best used on someone unlikely to be town, this way you either eliminate a non-town player or gain a high amount of information, an overall win-win.
While I'm sure Seven isn't the kind of player to lose sleep thinking "what if I'm wrong and somi is town", if he thought I was mafia with 90% probability he should've shot me.

Vote: Seven

Ninja'd by a couple people, because this took a lot longer to write than I thought it would.
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
Wam

Post by Wam »

Heads up that's L-2
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Somi that was freaking beautiful (albeit incorrect). Still, high-quality post and reasoning.
Seven (she, him, their)
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

Seven wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:42 pm
LaserGuy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:21 pm
Then why do you think Jimbob is mafia? That's the kind of absurd overthinking I'd find from me or bessie, but not you.
I have spent some time thinking about bessie's observations of this scenario and I think there's a decent chance she is correct, at least in some part of this, assuming she's Town.
To answer the Phoenix question, it's my role name. I don't think I have a flavor name.
This seems... unlikely. BoomFrog was Ellen Ripley; I am the Fab Five. Phoenix is presumably your flavor name. My role name is quite descriptive of my abilities.