Halloween Mafia 2021 - The Party Trap - Day 7

What you're all really here for.
bessie

Re: Halloween Mafia 2021 - The Party Trap

Post by bessie »

somitomi wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:58 pm
bessie wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:58 pm Ok. How do you reconcile these remarks with having heury and Snide Sniper at the bottom of your WOO-BOO list?
I feel like I have this discussion every single game and I'm kinda surprised you don't remember me saying the same thing in WWZ:
It's D1 and I simply don't care if my scumreads make sense as a team or not.
I’m not asking what you think of heury and Snide Sniper as a team, I’m asking why, if you think heury could be bussing this game, you haven’t reflected this in your list. But as you said, Heury has all townreads and he is currently voting for BoomFrog.

Though I think it is interesting that you are trying to link heury and Snide Sniper. You also tried to link them in this post :
somitomi wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:41 am It's interesting that both Heury and Snide Sniper seem to think Boom's done something sneaky today.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:11 am Because he is my current vote. Come join me on him, if you get bored voting for heuristically_alone.
I might, but my Heury vote didn't yet achieve the desired result. Just to clarify my earlier question: you didn't put Snide Sniper separately because you think he and Heury are not aligned?

Vote: heuristically_alone

Reasons:
1. Made an early townread of jimbob that I did not agree with, and did not answer my question as to why the same comment could not be a mafia-tell.
2. Requested BoomFrog meta, which I provided and he never acknowledged, possibly because it did not support his reason for scum reading BoomFrog.
3. Also requested Wam meta and the request has the same feel, like it is to possibly support a scum read. Refer to this post .

I am still working on a reads list but I’m not feeling well and I want to leave this vote here in case I fall asleep early again.
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Post by The Snide Sniper »

Vote: heury
LaserGuy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:15 pm
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:01 pm
LaserGuy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:45 pm

I feel that you and Suzaku are doing kind of the same thing when you are townreading him. You're taking a post that is probably NAI and trying to claim it is a townslip. TSS is kind of scummy, so I am scum leaning them. For the record, when I look for newbie Town, I usually look for this:

I don't really feel that SS has expressed any of the behaviours that I would characterize as newbie Town except possibly the last one, and there are a few things they have done that feel off to me. But regardless, I am not interested in yeeting SS today. BoomFrog is correct that if they are Town, they will likely prove themselves at some point or other down the line.
How does the fact that TSS has played Town of Salem before factor into this calculation?
Not at all. Forum mafia is a different game with a different meta. In the game where I am explaining what I consider newbie Town, the player I was talking about had, IIRC, a bunch of IRL mafia experience but no forum mafia experience (Trisscar in Sumting mafia for those who are familiar with the Smashboard games) and exhibited the same cluster of behaviours.
I mean, for the first two characteristics, those are actually part of the ToS meta as well.
LaserGuy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:57 pm
Wam wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:41 pm
LaserGuy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:20 pm I'm not planning on voting today unless it is to break a tie, but you can consider my vote to be on heury.
Why ?
Because I think Heury is scum, but don't want to actually vote today for reasons.
And those reasons are…?
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
patzer

Post by patzer »

LaserGuy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:29 am
Can you elaborate on what you are feeling is suspicious in my play? You've mentioned this before but haven't really pointed to anything specific.
explained in this post viewtopic.php?p=7285#p7285
Suzaku wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:45 am Just a few quick reactions, because weekend.

@patzer - I was the only player who hadn't posted when you made your vote, but that's no longer true. Any reason it's still there?
Right, that was largely random. Only feasible way to vote is heury so

Unvote

Vote: heuristically_alone
patzer

Post by patzer »

...oh dangit looks like I got ninjaed and that was the 6th vote.

Well then.
madge

Post by madge »

That was hammer!

Heuristically_Alone has been eliminated by the group vote.

It is Night.

Please submit your actions to me and Sabrar over PM.

Votals:
boomfrog (1) - heuri
heuri (6) - somitomi, suzaku, wam, bessie, the snide sniper, patzer
Patzer (2) - boomfrog, moody

(Remember, if you post a hammer vote, it is automatically Night and no more posting is allowed! Fortunately I was online to catch it and you generously hammered over my lunch break)

Night runs for 48 hours, may end early (if all actions/chat are complete) or late.

madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
madge

Post by madge »

Also guys, if you can submit your night actions / declare you are done chatting in the next 3-5 hours then I'll hopefully be able to start D2 in the next 6 hours; otherwise I stuffed up when I set the deadline so in reality I'll be another 4-6 hours after the counter finishes (i.e. in about 26-28 hours).
madge

Post by madge »

The Pizzazz Posse Facebook Group has 12 members.

Heuristically_Alone was eliminated by the Town vote yesterday. He may be resurrected, so his role will not be revealed.

Suzaku was killed overnight. He may be resurrected, so his role will not be revealed.

It is now dawn on Day 2. Dusk starts in about 8 days.

9 players alive, 5 to eliminate.

There is 1 member currently in the cult.

boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

Oh boo. I was hoping to be in the cult today...

If someone used a role block they might have stopped the recruitment, but there might also be some kind of town doctor vs recruitment thing, so I don't think anyone should claim anything yet. But I'll need to ponder a little more.
jimbobmacdoodle

Post by jimbobmacdoodle »

I'm writing this post overnight, but will try to add any immediate thoughts on overnight happenings at the end.in my next post, to avoid this getting too long.

Public service comment to The Snide Sniper and patzer: do not put someone at L-1 (i.e. 1 vote off hammer), unless there's a risk of a tie, as it a) risks mistakes like patzer's apparent mistaken hammer, and b) reduces the risk of scum deliberately hammering to cut short the day. If you wish to express internet without placing a vote, and there's no strong need for the vote, just state who you'd vote for explicitly.

I don't think patzer's hammer was deliberate for two reasons. Firstly, the timestamps of their and TSS's post are the same, so ninja is quite plausible. Secondly, if it had been deliberate, it would be strictly against the rules for him to make his follow-up post confirming the hammer, I believe (actually, some would even argue that her follow-up post had more than was reasonable for a post-hammer post). That being said, patzer has played before, so should know that L-1 is a dodgy point to put us in when there's no strong need, so some scum points there.

Finishing off the reads:

wam:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Post 1: Votes Sabrar (D1 tradition), LG leans are early, but doesn't disagree, although points out not to trust BF.
Post 2: Ebwop to clarify the previous post.
Post 3: Asks heury why he asked somi for his opinion. Gives point to BF for noticing mod vote, -1 all else. Joke switches vote to Madge then unvotes. Thinks BF gambit/non-gambit is NAI; LG seems like usual LG, if a bit faster with reads (NAI); huery is more involved, thinks town indication.
Post 4: Challenges heury suggesting pretending to play town meta will be too hard.
Post 5: Asks HA why TSS won't be vote.
Post 6: Heury more active than his scum game with him. Not liking recent content though. Stands by giving BF town points for mod vote comments. Challenges moody re -0.5 for wam factor. Challenges HA for why TSS content shows them not scum. Has TSS at null.
Post 7: Giving somi town lean for vote to catch HA's attention, and doesn't think scum!somi would be so pushy. Would be surprised if mod vote valid. Thinks scum is in group {patzer, TSS, heury}. Has me, BF, LG, somi in town group.
Post 8: Explains scum read of TSS, getting vibe of newbie scum trying to make reads list without showing TMI, missing what expected from newbie town.
Post 9: Wondering why Suzaku read of patzer not stronger scum read.
Post 10: asks Suzaku to expand bessie read.
Post 11: Clarifies Suzaku question re. patzer.
Post 12: Asks patzer re. activity town; waiting for my case on TSS.
Post 13: Agrees with LG re. heury everyone town. Thought I was reaction fishing.
Post 14: Concerned Heury elim feels easy. But still thinks Heury is scum, and considering multiple factions could mean no support for scum. Reads list: me town (reaction fishing, doesn't think I pivot to LG); LG town (tunnelling matches meta, and putting good pressure); Suzaku town (posts are townie, but could be leaving options open); somitomi town (thinks scum somi would keep quieter); BF town lean (comes across as town, but seen BF able to fake it); moody town lean (some good points, but wants updated reads list); bessie neutral (difficult reads, and D1 pass); TSS scum lean (earlier reads list scum vibes, later better, but could still be scum newbie); patzer scum (disagree with activity levels usage, scum!patzer has potential LG partner - pings should trump activity); HA scum (odd posts even on re-read); Votes HA, giving TSS D1 newbie pass.
Post 15: L-3.
Post 16: Around for deadline, worried thread is dead.
Post 17: Questions why LG not planning on voting.
On The Snide Sniper: most of wam's early comments related to The Snide Sniper are by way of challenging or asking about heury's comments about him. He initially places TSS as null, but this slides to scum fairly easily, in my opinion. I'd view this more negatively, but his initial neutral read is after my vote. He also winds it back and is happy to give TSS a newbie pass, when he could have potentially have kept the pressure on for longer himself. I don't think scum!wam would have backed down, as there was no real reason to, unless he's buddies with The Snide Sniper.

I've tended to agree with a lot of what wam has said and done during the game. A lot of his pressure, especially around heuristically_alone pre-empted things I would have done had I been around at the right time. The only issue I really have with him is the relative limit of interactions with others outside of heuristically_alone. Likely Town.

bessie:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Post 1: Welcomes TSS, remembers patzer, asks BF why need to feed Madge ego, and why not spoken about her (bessie). Asks HA to explain reasoning re. my question coming from town mindset (doesn't agree). Doesn't do RVS.
Post 2: remembers BF has pulled gambit as mafia, but can't remember details. Thinks BF decides gambits before game. Asks HA how this impacts his view of BF in this game. I say we too many times in my first post, asks HA why it couldn't come from mafia mindset. Finds HA mindset interesting.
Post 3: somitomi avoided answering heury's question - negative; reminded moody why researched BF meta; asks me what I thought about wam's removal of his vote and votes Madge. Reminds me re. heury was mafia in High School Halloween, not SK. Repeats somitomi didn't answer heury's question.
Post 4: promises reads and analysis at weekend. @TSS - participating is positive, scum can do reads too. BF''s gambits are NAI. Apologises for missing somi's response and asks for more reads. Disappointed by mod vote not showing up. Setup spec of 7 town, 2 mafia, 1 survivor, 1 cult. Is a reactive player. somitomi's content is much same style, but Suzaku not having issues there. Mod vote was to test seriousness. Noted 19 member Pizzazz Facebook group (seems forced). Thinks TSS is playing like a newbie, expecting game to be more casual; not on her elimination list for today.
Post 5: Likes to think she plays the same regardless of alignment, doesn't think meta excuse not to read her, especially when there are other consistent players. Sees my Pizzazz group comment. Asks somi whether he thinks mafia!heury could be that cheeky. Will come back to BF question re. flavour for scum groups. Thoughts match LG re. TSS town tell, doesn't understand why BF convinced. Been thinking about use of we. Newbie paranoia dependent on player. TSS newbie read stronger than any alignment reading. Not liking HA's reads, especially wam read due to asking about meta to support read, but not using it, and not acknowledging her earlier response re. BF meta. Asks HA if he has any actual scum reads/BF reason. patzer has more content to reevaluate reads. Also surprised by my agreement re. TSS town. Asks me how likely anyone would bus a teammate in this setup. Encourages TSS, suggesting they just give thoughts as they have them.
Post 6: don't change spoiler tags, please.
Post 7: Answers flavour question, matching my setup thoughts.
Post 8: Suzaku can ask her questions if they would help. Disagrees with Suzaku re. we. Not around for deadline, asks for questions to come earlier. Asks somitomi re. reconciling remarks with having TSS/heury at bottom of list. Posts ordered list without further explanation (heuristically_alone, Suzaku, patzer bottom, me LG, BF top).
Post 9: Had flavour thoughts for a while.
Post 10: Asks people to post about deadline. Leaning on voting heury, but doesn't want to make L-2.
Post 11: Not asking somi what thinks of HA and TSS as team, but rather why if HA is bussing not reflected in reads. Interesting trying to link HA and TSS. Votes HA: early townread of me didn't agree with, did not answer her question re. not mafia tell; never acknowledged response for BF meta request, and similar feeling about wam request.
@bessie, sorry I think I missed the question re. bussing a teammate likelihood. Under the assumption that there is only one mafia faction with 2 players in at game start, I'd think it fairly unlikely, but not impossible, but it would depend on the player (I could see it from BoomFrog or LaserGuy for example, but not so much from one of the less experienced players like patzer), and I don't think they'd push hard on it from the get-go, without a get-out option.

As others have noted, and I think I said earlier, I find bessie hard to read. I'm not getting any strong town or scum pings off of her. I find her positioning of Suzaku in her woof-grr list odd, and look forward to any explanations she may have for why he's down there (plus others, like why am I at the top? Why is patzer low?). I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt for now that a combination of tiredness and the premature hammer denied her the chance to explain it.

Ran out of time for BoomFrog. Will try to do that in the next few days.

Revised list:

Town
Suzaku
somitomi
wam
The Snide Sniper
moody
BoomFrog*
bessie
LaserGuy
patzer
heuristically_alone
Scum

<End of overnight post content>
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

I'm not really sure the best way to proceed without any flip info. Will need to think about it.

@Madge: Will we be informed if a faction is eliminated entirely (even if there is a chance their member(s) could be resurrected)?
jimbobmacdoodle

Not getting flips upfront is going to drag the early part of each day out... I'm really hoping we'll get them at Noon, if they aren't resurrected. If we don't (possibly because resurrection can happen on a later Day), we're going to be heavily relying on investigative roles, I feel.

If a cult member is dead, but potentially pending resurrection, do they show up in the "There are N Cult members" mod comment?

I'd love to be able to rule out cult!Suzaku/cult!heuristically_alone, but what we can do may depend in part on the mod answer to the above question. There may be other possible conclusions to draw too.

Suzaku is/was probably not Mafia, although a lucky redirection or power roles is not out of the question. If someone vigilante-eliminated Suzaku, I'd love to know, although whether they should claim or not will probably depend on whether it is limited etc.

@The Snide Sniper, in case the Town of Salem meta is different, I'd recommend against claiming any N1 results you may have unless they point towards something suspicious (e.g. say you saw someone visit Suzaku/roleblocked a likely cult leader/got a scum cop result etc). Even then, upfront claiming is probably not the way to go.

@BoomFrog - don't forget the possibility that cult targeted mafia and mafia are cult immune (since nothing else is practical).
Wam

Post by Wam »

Morning all.

@bessie you now have an example for the discssuikn we had on smashboards about accidental hammers.

For the record I do believe it was an accident by patzar. Also it's not like we lost much of the day so I can't see any real advantage to scum patzar doing a fake accidental hammer.

Not getting flips until noon or even later is going to be annoying. Based on the 2 (hazy memories) lights out games I have played, which are probably closest to this, jimbob is right you really do rely on investigative roles.

It does mean we should refrain from voting until noon as gone, to ensure we are making decisions with the most information possible.

will we get confirmation that noon has passed even if nothing happens then?
madge

Post by madge »

A faction's loss will be announced when there is no possibility of them coming back. If all members of a faction are dead, but it is possible for them to be resurrected (even by town roles, if any), the loss will not be announced.

However, the game will end if all anti-town members are dead, even if town is able to resurrect them. The game will not end if they are capable of being resurrected by non-town means, or steps to resurrect them have already taken place.

Dead cult members do not appear in the total.

Yes: yesterday one of my votals posts announced noon. Later votals posts declared it was the afternoon. I plan on all votals posts stating whether it is morning, noon, or the afternoon (I didn't declare it was morning during early votals posts yesterday). Noon has no set schedule but will happen about halfway through the day.
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

Hmmm.... I appear to be dead. Bah!
Pronouns: he/him/his
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept. 1982
jimbobmacdoodle

FWIW, I suspect there's at least one player with a "Morning" day action to resurrect a player who died that night.

Dead cult members not appearing in the total means a) Heuristically_alone was not the Cult Leader and b) Suzaku is only Cult if he was recruited last night before being killed or successfully recruited someone before being kiled.
Wam

Post by Wam »

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:28 am FWIW, I suspect there's at least one player with a "Morning" day action to resurrect a player who died that night.

Dead cult members not appearing in the total means a) Heuristically_alone was not the Cult Leader and b) Suzaku is only Cult if he was recruited last night before being killed or successfully recruited someone before being kiled.

I agree a morning day action is the only way this set of rules makes sense but it could be a massive piece of redirection.

Going back to your earlier point about mafia not being able to be recruited that is my working assumption. However, I did play a game years ago on the old xkcd site where mafia could be recruited. It was a 20 person game and cult steam rolled everything....
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Well, I suppose no flips was predictable, but it's still annoying. The one game I remember that didn't have flips all game got really frustrating and was a triumph for scum. Waiting to vote seems a good option.
bessie

Post by bessie »

I have nothing I feel like claiming.

I'm going to work back tonight.
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:51 am Public service comment to The Snide Sniper and patzer: do not put someone at L-1 (i.e. 1 vote off hammer), unless there's a risk of a tie, as it a) risks mistakes like patzer's apparent mistaken hammer, and b) reduces the risk of scum deliberately hammering to cut short the day. If you wish to express internet without placing a vote, and there's no strong need for the vote, just state who you'd vote for explicitly.
Okay, understood.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:28 am FWIW, I suspect there's at least one player with a "Morning" day action to resurrect a player who died that night.
I suspect this too, although I thought it would be a night action.

And yeah, mafia would have to be cult immune, otherwise the entire mafia would be screwed as soon as one of their members got recruited.
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
jimbobmacdoodle

The Snide Sniper wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:38 pm
I suspect this too, although I thought it would be a night action.
How would you imagine a night resurrection action might work? Say someone wanted to resurrect Suzaku, when do you think they'd do that?
And yeah, mafia would have to be cult immune, otherwise the entire mafia would be screwed as soon as one of their members got recruited.
When did this thought occur to you? What about if the cult "recruited" the mafia member, but the recruit's win condition didn't change?
Wam

Post by Wam »

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:47 pm
When did this thought occur to you? What about if the cult "recruited" the mafia member, but the recruit's win condition didn't change?
Can I answer ;)
jimbobmacdoodle

Wam wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:33 pm
Can I answer ;)
In a bit, but I want The Snide Sniper's response specifically (I'll explain later, if I can remember my reasoning).
Wam

Post by Wam »

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:36 pm
Wam wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:33 pm
Can I answer ;)
In a bit, but I want The Snide Sniper's response specifically (I'll explain later, if I can remember my reasoning).
I have a vague idea of where your going so that was a sarcastic can I answer! Should have marked it sorry.
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Just some idle speculation I've been doing about how the cult might be balanced, since I've never played with this kind of mechanic before. The alternative option didn't occur to me; would the "recruited" mafia member then be trying to destroy the cult from the inside?
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

EBWOP for the night action rez question, they would choose an already-dead player during the night and that player would be ressurrected the following day. That's how the Retributionist worked in Town of Salem.