Halloween Mafia 2021 - The Party Trap - Day 7

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
heuristically_alone

Re: Halloween Mafia 2021 - The Party Trap

Post by heuristically_alone »

I like laserguy's pressure one me. Town lean.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Post by The Snide Sniper »

So wait, does the cult do something different from the mafia? I'm a bit confused here.
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

The Snide Sniper wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:33 pm So does the cult do something different from the mafia? I'm a bit confused here.
The cult starts at one member but recruits at night instead of eliminating someone. If the original member dies the cult usually loses the ability to recruit, although that can vary. If you are recruited your win condition changes to align with the cult, so a D1 townie might be a D2 cultist.

heuristically_alone is scum, although I do thank you for answering for me, the more reactions we get going the better.
wam is a teesy bit scummy but with the wam discount is still probably town. Wait, wam voted for the mod. Hmm, no read on him yet then. For a wacky game that actually might be a relevant action... :roll:
heuristically_alone

Has Boomfrog ever done a gambit as mafia? I've only ever seen them do it as town. Why is it that my joke vote almost always becomes my end day d1 vote?
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
heuristically_alone

@bessie Can you answer the question to my previous post for me please? You'd be the most likely to know.
----
he/him/they
bessie

Post by bessie »

I’m here. Like usual, I don’t play during work hours (California).

@jimbobmacdoodle and @heuristically_alone, please get avatars.

@The Snide Sniper, welcome to the mafia group!
@patzer, I remember you playing mafia but not of playing with you. Very happy to have you sign up!

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:25 pm Anyway, enough of this messing about:

Vote bessie

As apparently she's the only one who got to comment in the Facebook group, who isn't actually running a party. Obviously suspicious.
You’re welcome to post in the Facebook group any time you want, and keep it from becoming a bessie and Madge vanity page. As if.

boomfrog wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:02 pm Laserguy was equally as blah about the amazing obviously note-worthy flavor and epicness of this triumphant return of the xkcd mafia forum. Why pick on moody who is never hyped for anything?
Madge already has the second biggest ego in this group, why do you feel the need to feed it? And why haven’t you sad anything about me me me?

heuristically_alone wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:23 pm
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:25 pm
If they survive to the end, everyone else loses.
Just trying to wrap my head around this: does this imply that if the game would otherwise end with e.g. a Town victory, the Survivor wins instead? I.e. we ignore the role for game end trigger, but it impacts who wins/loses?

If so, I could see an amusing situation where we have confirmed scum, but need to hold off voting them off due to the Survivor still being around!
This question is coming from a town mindset..
Please explain your reasoning because I do not agree.

moody7277 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:25 pm This is pretty much true IRL. I had to fake a "looking thrilled" picture when I was a conference in Santorini.
This alone deserves a vote, but I still don’t do RVS.

Ninja'd by all of Page 2 while I was typing this out. Back in a bit.
heuristically_alone

bessie wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:31 am Please explain your reasoning because I do not agree.
Notice I haven't made a read on Jimbob. But it does have a lot of we we we in it, referring to town. At the very least Jimbob is attempting to appear as having a town mindset as this is what the town mindset should be, is it not?
----
he/him/they
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Dangit, I got used to the luxuriously simple multi-quoting on Xenforo-based forums...
boomfrog wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:02 pm Laserguy was equally as blah about the amazing obviously note-worthy flavor and epicness of this triumphant return of the xkcd mafia forum. Why pick on moody who is never hyped for anything?
because it's RVS and I didn't actually put enough effort into it to recall moody's
heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:48 am Notice I haven't made a read on Jimbob. But it does have a lot of we we we in it, referring to town. At the very least Jimbob is attempting to appear as having a town mindset as this is what the town mindset should be, is it not?
"attempting to appear as having a town mindset" it just about the scummiest anyone could possibly be though, so I'm not sure how you wound up assigning town-points for that. More importantly though, if you don't have a read on Jimbob, why did you answer that question with a reason for townreading him?
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
patzer

Post by patzer »

LaserGuy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:33 pm It feels so weird to be back on this forum.

@The Snide Sniper and @patzer: Welcome! I don't recall playing with either of you before. Could you tell us a bit about your mafia experience?
I have to admit I'm very rusty; I last played...
[checks]
six years ago.
Whoa. Let's hope I remember how to do this.

Here's a list of the games I've played. https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Patzer

Let's start things off with a
Vote: Suzaku

for being the only player who hasn't posted yet.
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:48 am
bessie wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:31 am Please explain your reasoning because I do not agree.
Notice I haven't made a read on Jimbob. But it does have a lot of we we we in it, referring to town. At the very least Jimbob is attempting to appear as having a town mindset as this is what the town mindset should be, is it not?
I think if I were BoomFrog I would probably be offended that you thought I was basing a read off of something so superficial.
bessie

Post by bessie »

heuristically_alone wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:57 pm Has Boomfrog ever done a gambit as mafia? I've only ever seen them do it as town. Why is it that my joke vote almost always becomes my end day d1 vote?
I seem to remember Boomfrog has pulled a gambit as mafia, let me close my helicopter record and check my mafia notes...

I checked my game spreadsheets, and BoomFrog was mafia in Unlikely Superheroes and was eliminated on D2. I can’t remember if it was part of a gambit, but I have in my spreadsheet that he opened with a self vote. Unfortunately, I have very little archived of this game and almost nothing of the early game (pages 1, 6, 11, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21).

I also remember that Boomfrog often decides on a gambit before the game starts. I’m pretty sure he said this about Newbie New Year, but it would be in the Gojoe thread so finding it would be difficult.

Now that I have answered your question, how does this affect your impression of Boomfrog in this game thus far?

heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:48 am
Jimbob says “we” two times in that entire post. And why do you not think this could be a mafia mindset, since the “they” is a third party role?

And...why would a player need to attempt to appear townie? I find your mindset interesting.

patzer wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:26 am Here's a list of the games I've played. https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Patzer
I remembered correctly; we didn’t play any games together. I think I may have been your replacement in Secret Santa.
heuristically_alone

I'm currently undecided of Boomfrog is scum taking advantage of my slightly scummy appearance right now, or if this is Boomfrog who thinks they laid a trap and actually caught a scum. Thinking more about it, the latter seems more likely.

Somi, what is your opinion of me right now?
----
he/him/they
jimbobmacdoodle

Post by jimbobmacdoodle »

(Note to self: the quick reply panel doesn't keep its text if you change pages)

@heuristically_alone, do you remember which games you played in in the old forum? In particular, did you play in any of the past Halloween games?

@bessie, I'll sort out my avatar when I'm next posting from my personal laptop. Hopefully this evening.

I like somitomi's way of thinking. Town lean there. LaserGuy is acting very similarly to usual LaserGuy, from what I remember, although I don't know if he acted like this both as town and scum, or just town. Still, town lean there too.

Snide Sniper is obviously scum.

Unvote
Vote The Snide Sniper

@Snide Sniper, what do you think of that vote? Also, what do you think of bessie.

@BoomFrog, you never answered @Snide Sniper's question re. why you think I'm Town. Please do.

No other particular reads or questions at the moment.
Wam

Post by Wam »

heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:36 am I'm currently undecided of Boomfrog is scum taking advantage of my slightly scummy appearance right now, or if this is Boomfrog who thinks they laid a trap and actually caught a scum. Thinking more about it, the latter seems more likely.

Why Somi?

+1 townie point to boom for noticing my vote was on the mod. -1 for everyone else.

I would love to be a militant atheist trying to get sabrar the mod eliminated but sadly I'm not.

I'm one for madge instead

vote madge

unvote

Actual thoughts:

I think boomfrog pulling/not pulling a gambit is NAI.

Laser seems like usual day 1 laser, if jumping to reads faster than I remember but given how much some of the players have played together I think that's NAI.

Huery is interesting more involved that I normally remember but I think that's a town indication for them on meta.
madge

Post by madge »

Votals:

boomfrog (1) - heuri
moody (1) - somitomi
somitomi (1) - boomfrog
suzaku (1) - Patzer
the snide sniper (1) - jimbob

11 players alive, 6 to eliminate.

Dusk starts in 5 days, 15 minutes.

madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
heuristically_alone

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:06 am @heuristically_alone, do you remember which games you played in in the old forum? In particular, did you play in any of the past Halloween games?

Snide Sniper is obviously scum.

Unvote
Vote The Snide Sniper
I played at least one Halloween game on this forum, pretty sure I played the last one Madge and Sabrar hosted together.

I actually read snide sniper as town based on his response to Boomfrog.
----
he/him/they
heuristically_alone

Wam wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:22 am Huery is interesting more involved that I normally remember but I think that's a town indication for them on meta.
Don't worry. I'm sure I'll devolve back to my normal self as the game goes on.
Wam wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:22 am
heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:36 am I'm currently undecided of Boomfrog is scum taking advantage of my slightly scummy appearance right now, or if this is Boomfrog who thinks they laid a trap and actually caught a scum. Thinking more about it, the latter seems more likely.

Why Somi?
I would think the answer to your question would be quite apparent. I can divulge more info after Somi answers.
----
he/him/they
Wam

Post by Wam »

heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:23 am
Wam wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:22 am Huery is interesting more involved that I normally remember but I think that's a town indication for them on meta.
Why because the effort of pretending to play to your town meta will be too hard?
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Why do you think the latter is more likely and in which post do you think BoomFrog set the trap?
Also, I concur with wam, why me?
I actually feel like his reads so far are a bit superficial, but it's kinda early
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:06 am Snide Sniper is obviously scum.
I assume this is serious, so could you explain why?
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Oh, and before I forget
somitomi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:24 am "attempting to appear as having a town mindset" it just about the scummiest anyone could possibly be though, so I'm not sure how you wound up assigning town-points for that. More importantly though, if you don't have a read on Jimbob, why did you answer that question with a reason for townreading him?
@Heury: could you answer this?
heuristically_alone

Wam wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:13 pm
heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:23 am
Why because the effort of pretending to play to your town meta will be too hard?
Maybe ;)
----
he/him/they
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

@JimBob: I'll explain after suzaku has given an opinion on my read.

Modprod suzaku please. They may need a cross site prod if they haven't read their PM yet.
madge

Post by madge »

prodded on discord and Facebook
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Post by The Snide Sniper »

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:06 am Snide Sniper is obviously scum.

Unvote
Vote The Snide Sniper

@Snide Sniper, what do you think of that vote?
Um, why?
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
heuristically_alone

Yeah snide sniper is not gonna be my vote today.
----
he/him/they