2888: "US Survey Foot"

This is, technically, an xkcd forum.
somitomi

2888: "US Survey Foot"

Post by somitomi »

Title text: Subway refuses to answer my questions about whether it's an International Footlong or a US Survey Footlong. A milligram of sandwich is at stake!
Randall should contact Tom Scott, he already checked the length of a Subway sandwich
Old Bruce

Re: 2888: "US Survey Foot"

Post by Old Bruce »

When is he going to address the fluid ounce? 1 US fluid ounce ≈ 1.040843 imperial fluid ounces. Not to mention the difference number of fluid ounces in a US Gallon vs the Imperial Gallon.
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

When I ran long distance is high school, once a 5k race they accidentally routed as a 5 mile then quickly the day the mistake was discovered so a quick reroute was out in place but it still ended up being closer to just over 5.5k leaving us tired, unhappy and confused during the last leg.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
chridd
Scorekeeper-Keeper

Post by chridd »

heuristically_alone wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:23 pm When I ran long distance is high school, once a 5k race they accidentally routed as a 5 mile then quickly the day the mistake was discovered so a quick reroute was out in place but it still ended up being closer to just over 5.5k leaving us tired, unhappy and confused during the last leg.
*looks up 5K run on Wikipedia*
It is usually distinguished from the 5000 metres track running event by stating the distance in kilometres, rather than metres.
Is that like saying "soda is distinguished from pop by being called soda"?

Also, fourth panel here is how I feel about doing a 5k or 5 mile race.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ · she · Forum game scores · My website
ratammer wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:56 pm Hoping to find something quotable on this new forum!
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

chridd wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:22 amIs that like saying "soda is distinguished from pop by being called soda"?
It's saying that the road running event "5K run" is distinguished from the track running event "5000 metres", like the disambiguation at the top of the page. It makes sense to use a naming convention like that, because there are track races for much smaller numbers of metres but road races would generally be longer.
Diana, madge's ratwife, any pronouns

I'm watching the first episode of all different cartoons!

---

Ya like my gate?