2852: "Parameterball"

This is, technically, an xkcd forum.
somitomi

2852: "Parameterball"

Post by somitomi »

Title text: The ball's density also varies, but players don't learn the value until after choosing their raquets. The infamous 'bowling ball table tennis' region of the parameter space often leads to equipment damage.

Still not as weird as real tennis
Old Bruce

Re: 2852: "Parameterball"

Post by Old Bruce »

At first glance I thought the court, ball etc changed each time the ball went over the net.
chridd
Scorekeeper-Keeper

Post by chridd »

I've seen randomizers for Zelda games, Metroid games, etc., but not for sports games until now.
Old Bruce wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:59 pm At first glance I thought the court, ball etc changed each time the ball went over the net.
My first interpretation was that the field was divided into four quadrants and the parameters changed depending on which quadrant the ball was in (I saw the word "quarters" and assumed that this was a division of space, rather than time).
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ · she · Forum game scores · My website
ratammer wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:56 pm Hoping to find something quotable on this new forum!
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

I wonder what the limits of the parameters would be. Could you have moon-sized ball? How about one consisting of a single molecule? Could the game turn into a 17776-tye situation with a court spanning most of the continental US?
i am doing a computers on the inters webses