Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

What you're all really here for.
madge

Re: Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

Post by madge »

Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Somitomi wrote:yeah, just woke up, skipped to the EOD post and how the hell did this swing to Gluelock?

and what is with this game, 7 pages in the last 5.5 hours
Oh my god you're telling me. I generated an image in advance for Seven's elim, d1, and it's been sitting unused ever since lol. I cannot write flavour in advance for this fear.

I felt like I was playing with fire trying to get the paperclip maximiser death image with one hour to EOD, lol, but I wanted to finish the Day quick to go hang out with my husbando.

Speaking of generating the image, I'm glad Bing Image Creator has somewhat calmed down about its censor. I had SO MUCH TROUBLE trying to generate a *sad* dog. I ended up giving up on that.

I used this prompt:
The king of the paperclips has been assassinated. His body, made entirely of paperclips, sits lifelessly on the paperclip throne. There are small red paperclips dripping out of his neck.
Image link for anyone wanting to have a look at it again: https://i.imgur.com/jMaPdDM.png (not putting the full image in as it's big lol)

Protip for anyone wanting to generate images: obviously, the guardrails don't want you generating anything the least bit objectionable. Fortunately they don't mind "thick red liquid" even if they have problems with "blood". I felt like a genius coming up with the idea for paperclip blood, though.
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Don't really have much to say right now. Just feels like it will be seen as suspicious in some circles if I don't post here.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
this guy^
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Thank god. I've been praying to get eliminated so that the Basilik isn't in the final integration. I didn't realize it can only be destroyed by night kills until Heury's flip. I know it's just flavor but still it was stressing me out!
Seven (she, him, their)
madge

Post by madge »

Seven wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:49 am Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Thank god. I've been praying to get eliminated so that the Basilik isn't in the final integration. I didn't realize it can only be destroyed by night kills until Heury's flip. I know it's just flavor but still it was stressing me out!
Halloween @ Seven
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Well, uh, I hate to break it to you, but if Town wins all their value functions get incorporated into the final, including dead townies, including dead townies killed by scum. I admit my lore justification for Heury losing if voted off but not NKed was flimsy......

Basically, the factional wins from flavour POV:

- Friendly AI: those two defectors, alive or dead, get their value functions averaged together, giving them a big slice of the value pie when AI goes FOOM!
- Unfriendly AI (town): all townies, alive and dead, get their value functions averaged together, giving them a smaller but more likely(?) slice of the value pie when AI goes FOOM!
- Humans: AI remain in the box, saving the world from an AI apocalypse. Humans don't die/aren't destroyed in flavour, just have their access cut off.

Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

madge wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:01 am
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Halloween @ Seven
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Well, uh, I hate to break it to you, but if Town wins all their value functions get incorporated into the final, including dead townies, including dead townies killed by scum. I admit my lore justification for Heury losing if voted off but not NKed was flimsy......

- Friendly AI: those two defectors, alive or dead, get their value functions averaged together, giving them a big slice of the value pie when AI goes FOOM!
- Unfriendly AI (town): all townies, alive and dead, get their value functions averaged together, giving them a smaller but more likely(?) slice of the value pie when AI goes FOOM!
- Humans: AI remain in the box, saving the world from an AI apocalypse. Humans don't die/aren't destroyed in flavour, just have their access cut off.

Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
ahh damn. well there's still hope. I haven't looked at the spoilers yet, but I think there's a good chance town loses after the Glue elim. I think that was probably a game-losing mistake.
Seven (she, him, their)
Gluelock

Post by Gluelock »

AdumbroDeus wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:02 am
Halloween, gluelock specific stuff if he wants to read
poor Gluelock, wish you hadn't missed your action, I probably could've swung to a laser yeet if you didn't. You shall be avenged!

Wish you'd also said the proper name for your role cause then we'd know your result was irrelevant, since we already discussed that the mafia doc doesn't have a gun regardless of if they nk so it wouldn't help!

But you did really well for your first flavorless game! Was fun playing with you and hope to again in the future!
Halloween, Adum non spoiler response
Thanks, I really enjoyed this game you were all great to to play with!

I too wish I didn’t muck up the night action, it could have provided potentially game winning info. Also I hadn’t realized the official term was gunsmith otherwise I’d have included that in my claim.

But these are mistakes I can learn from at least. Good luck!

Halloween, spoilerz

A swing onto laser would have been clutch, not sure if I would have voted him though (maybe to self pres). He was getting embedded pretty deep into my town core. I have faith town will find everyone though.
Gluelock (He/him/his)
aka Bluelock (MU)
Gluelock

Post by Gluelock »

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Halloween @ Seven
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Dang, knowing the paper clip maximization was removed from the final integration was my only solace. If town wins humanity is doomed!

Really cool direction with the flavor, I hope we get to see a friendly ai flip.
Gluelock (He/him/his)
aka Bluelock (MU)
madge

Post by madge »

Gluelock wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:04 pm
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Halloween @ Seven
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Dang, knowing the paper clip maximization was removed from the final integration was my only solace. If town wins humanity is doomed!

Really cool direction with the flavor, I hope we get to see a friendly ai flip.
Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
the really fun part about writing mafia flavour is that you never know how the story is going to end! i'm curious about which faction will win.

i based the idea of the unfriendly ai (i.e. the bad guys) being town on an infamous game on the original forum that i didn't play, which was themed around an asylum, where the asylum guards were scum but were given PMs that implied they were town, while the patients were actually town.

it resullted in a guard claiming guard on d1 and being summarily voted out, and i believe the game was cancelled as a result as it felt unfair

i like the idea of subverting the expected direction of the flavour (in this case the trope of stopping evil AI), and I'm glad you like it too!

Similarly, in a previous game the plot was a local area facebook group trying to get a divorced couple back together so they'd throw a halloween party. My plan was if town succeeded, the couple would set aside their differences to throw the party but wouldn't get back together.

shameless plug: if you enjoy my writing, check out my novel linked below (it's free on AO3). it was actually written to kind of bridge the gap between people who enjoy Discourse about AI Safety and people who enjoy vampire romance, and has received favourable reviews from both camps. In particular, there's a character who could be interpreted as an unaligned AI
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

response to Gluelock

Nah, don't worry it would've provided nothing. It only got you killed unfortunately. Great to play with you too! Hope to play again soon!
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

Halloween for seven
Seven wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:06 am
AdumbroDeus wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:00 am system.out.println("

Again, at a party, but what stands out to me is that Mak's power is literally a substantially weaker version of mine which I find... Interesting.

I will say that part of my strategy in this game, part of the reason I've been so aggressive is that I wanted to attract protective roles so I could double them. I also wanted to claim late because I wanted to catch any fake targeting claims.

Seven's summation on laser is accurate, that's a good alternative for why EGW died.

I'm also suspicious of the idea of basically a town cop existing in a setup with an actual scumcop. I'm also keeping in mind Bessie's claim.

I'm thinking laser should die toDay and I want Somi to target me toNight to confirm their power and allow me to use it.
");
sigh why do you have to be so towny every time I want to be suspicious of you
Didn't get a chance to say it, but this is exactly how I felt about you for a lot of the game. Every time you did something that looked weird, you followed it by being townie af.

Still mad at you for getting glue killed though :p
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Why is there a new boomfrog user >.>
Seven (she, him, their)
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

There's not enough boomfrog
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
madge

Post by madge »

we need at least 15 boom frogs
Freddino18
Hey @Sniper can I have a role?

Post by Freddino18 »

Explosivetoad
Old Bruce wrote:Mighty Morphine Power Ranger
Jplus wrote:Was that a response to penis or to tree?
Diana's boytoy.
Hey @Sniper can I have a sig too?
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

Halloween

At this point I'm like 99% sure that the killing scumteam is mak, and one of moodie and Somi. Probably moodie.

However, I'm also 99% sure that Bessie is the last human, her play has gotten more suspicious over time, the way EGW treated her is weird, and her power would be incredibly useful for otherscum trying to quickly figure out whose part of the enemy team. Her claimed inability to give results N1 in particular irks me. It seems like avoiding clearing people. But she has no reason to lie about the actual scum pools cause she needs other scum dead.

Right now my plan is to subtly direct the killing scum towards killing Bessie toNight by emphasizing how she'll be able to know who it is, while signalling to JC to keep protecting me.

Meanwhile I'll target somi with their own power to clear them. Or doom them.
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

AI Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
bessie wrote:moody you should switch
Adum could tie the vote
That would have been tantamount to a scumclaim from him, so no player as on the ball as he is would do that. Tack it up to EOD jitters. Track and watch going to be easy just like I said in thread.
madge

Post by madge »

(Fun fact that nobody else will notice or care about: the flavour is taking me longer than normal because my husbando and I are now in a passionate debate about whether I should do the thing I wrote that amuses me personally or whether I should try and make it more realistic. I think the latter will win, which is probably for the best)
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

madge wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:29 am (Fun fact that nobody else will notice or care about: the flavour is taking me longer than normal because my husbando and I are now in a passionate debate about whether I should do the thing I wrote that amuses me personally or whether I should try and make it more realistic. I think the latter will win, which is probably for the best)
the former please. 100%, it'll probably amuse me too. And a lot of the rest of us cause we're a bunch of weird nerds.
madge

Post by madge »

Yep I rewrote it and it's much better for it, but I'm going to post my old draft because it amused me at the time. And don't worry, the canonical flavour also amuses me!

I suggest you read it after you read the 'real' flavour, as it spoils the flip.
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Meanwhile, the human in question wasn’t even aware that his connection had been severed. He’d seen a post on LessWrong claiming that mammals felt pain, which is obviously not true. Not that it mattered: we were all on the verge of death at the hands of malevolent AI. Then he was off to talk about Japanese economic policy, claiming to have predicted something that didn’t even happen. What, a podcast on AI alignment? Better write a long post about AI ethics. Oh, what, Manifold Markets gives an 86% chance of an executive order about AI being signed in October?! This could doom us all!

Needless to say, Eliezer Yudkowsky was too busy under a deluge of social media posts that he no longer felt the urge to participate in the box experiment, which was just as well, as it was a futile exercise that he would have totally won anyway.
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

madge wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:02 am Yep I rewrote it and it's much better for it, but I'm going to post my old draft because it amused me at the time. And don't worry, the canonical flavour also amuses me!

I suggest you read it after you read the 'real' flavour, as it spoils the flip.
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Meanwhile, the human in question wasn’t even aware that his connection had been severed. He’d seen a post on LessWrong claiming that mammals felt pain, which is obviously not true. Not that it mattered: we were all on the verge of death at the hands of malevolent AI. Then he was off to talk about Japanese economic policy, claiming to have predicted something that didn’t even happen. What, a podcast on AI alignment? Better write a long post about AI ethics. Oh, what, Manifold Markets gives an 86% chance of an executive order about AI being signed in October?! This could doom us all!

Needless to say, Eliezer Yudkowsky was too busy under a deluge of social media posts that he no longer felt the urge to participate in the box experiment, which was just as well, as it was a futile exercise that he would have totally won anyway.
I f***ing love it, should've been the flavor.
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
do I detect a bit of sass aimed at Mak for their inactivity this game? :p
madge

Post by madge »

No sass, no. I try and incorporate the general vibe of the thread into the flavour if appropriate.
madge

Post by madge »

Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
oh god i think this is actually endgame:

we have two standard scum alive and two standard town alive

Both town have access to a "bodyguard" power, but it means they die in place of their target.

I won't have time to write flavour until the deadline I set, though, so I'm going to let this - - -

oh wait i misread my spreadsheet, there aer 6 people alive, not 4, lol
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

AI Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BdQcJ2ZYY

Decided this might be a bit too frivolous to post in thread, plus they're robots so not technically AIs.
AdumbroDeus

Post by AdumbroDeus »

Halloween

Laser is being radio silent in our neighborhood. Maybe they've been busy, or maybe they already submitted a kill on me and don't feel like they have to bother.

If it's the former, they'll probably show up before day ends. If they don't and JC dies toNight, I can be pretty positive it's the latter.