What are you reading?

Dumping ground for everything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
ratammer
Gatekeeper

What are you reading?

Post by ratammer »

I'm currently halfway through reading John Dies at the End. It's fairly Hitchhiker's-ish if that's what you're looking for.

I've not touched it in a while, but not through any fault of the book - it's just that I habitually read on my commute, which I haven't been doing lately...
Diana, madge's ratwife, any pronouns

I'm watching the first episode of all different cartoons!

---

Ya like my gate?
somitomi

Re: What are you reading?

Post by somitomi »

Ra by Sam Hughes, a science ficton take on "magic" as a branch of physics (i.e. something involving a lot of complicated equations named after people) discovered in the 1970s. I find it entirely fascinating and since I habitually read in bed before going to sleep, precious little could stop me from missing sleep because I can't put it down.
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
pseudoidiot

Post by pseudoidiot »

I've been re-reading Book 3 of Sanderson's Stormlight series. Oathbringer, I think? I don't have it by me at the moment. The fourth book came out recently, but I felt like I needed a refresher.

Previous to that I re-read all of the Earthsea books which was really nice. I bought The Complete Earthsea a few years back and finally got around to opening it. There were a couple stories I never got around to reading my first time reading through the series, so that was nice.
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

Hey I just checked out Oathbringer from the library. Thus far first book is still my favorite in Stormlight series.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
Zarq

Post by Zarq »

somitomi wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:39 pm Ra by Sam Hughes, a science ficton take on "magic" as a branch of physics (i.e. something involving a lot of complicated equations named after people) discovered in the 1970s. I find it entirely fascinating and since I habitually read in bed before going to sleep, precious little could stop me from missing sleep because I can't put it down.
That sounds very interesting. Added it to my (way too long) to-read list

I'm currently (still reading) the first Culture book: Consider Phlebas. I don't really like it. It's too much action description for me.

I also just started Don Quixote, because I'm traveling right now and I didn't want to fill precious luggage space with a half-read book.
You rang?
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

ratammer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:16 pm I'm currently halfway through reading John Dies at the End. It's fairly Hitchhiker's-ish if that's what you're looking for.

I've not touched it in a while, but not through any fault of the book - it's just that I habitually read on my commute, which I haven't been doing lately...
Now that I have my commute back I finally finished it!
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
John does not die at the end.

And now I've started reading Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley.

---

Ya like my gate?
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Seconds is quite nice, I should read it again sometime.
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

And thank you again for recommending it! It's good so far.

---

Ya like my gate?
LingEarth

Post by LingEarth »

Just finished the first book of the Temeraire series. I loved it and will definitely be reading the rest of them. "The Napoleonic Wars, but with dragons" is a fun idea, and Naomi Novik definitely put some thought into what a military branch of dragon-riders might be like.
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Temeraire is a wonderfully independent-thinking dragon and I hope he never changes. <3
I'm an EarthLing. (Formerly on Mars)
she/her
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

ratammer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:21 pm And thank you again for recommending it! It's good so far.
Huh, I did?
LingEarth wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:50 pm Just finished the first book of the Temeraire series. I loved it and will definitely be reading the rest of them. "The Napoleonic Wars, but with dragons" is a fun idea, and Naomi Novik definitely put some thought into what a military branch of dragon-riders might be like.
That sounds like my kind of fun.
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

somitomi wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:24 pm
ratammer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:21 pm And thank you again for recommending it! It's good so far.
Huh, I did?
This isn't even the first time I've reminded you about you doing that. :P

EDIT: And now I've finished it! Nice story.

---

Ya like my gate?
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Catch-22
So I'm a Spider, so What?
Lem's The Truth and Other Stories
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

I'm now reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman! Some pretty bad things happen to a rat in the first chapter.

---

Ya like my gate?
heuristically_alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dj0yimUXVw

Brandon Sanderson's outfit in this livestream is ridiculously amazing.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

Today I finished reading "The Girl Who Could Move Shit with Her Mind". I'd recommend it!

---

Ya like my gate?
heuristically_alone

Sounds like a thriller.
----
he/him/they
LingEarth

Post by LingEarth »

I just read Light from Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki. It's got musicians who make deals with Hell, and aliens who run a donut shop. It's also very queer.

Just a warning--it does deal with some heavy topics at times. I'd recommend it, though!
I'm an EarthLing. (Formerly on Mars)
she/her
heuristically_alone

Just finished the audio version of the Harry Potter series. Had only read them to myself and must say adds a lot to the story having a unique voice for every character.
----
he/him/they
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

I love to read books out loud. I should record some someday.

---

Ya like my gate?
Freddino18
Hey @Sniper can I have a role?

Post by Freddino18 »

Listening to the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. In the middle of A Crown of Swords.
Old Bruce wrote:Mighty Morphine Power Ranger
Jplus wrote:Was that a response to penis or to tree?
Diana's boytoy.
Hey @Sniper can I have a sig too?
riluri

Post by riluri »

i'm making my way through the Dune series, currently at Children of Dune. the first book took me a whole year to read (plus another attempt 7 years earlier, plus watching both movies for extra motivation), but it was so worth it. like speaker for the dead after ender's game
formerly teenidle
Freddino18
Hey @Sniper can I have a role?

Post by Freddino18 »

I was trying to listen to the audiobook before bed at night, but the story is very hard to track when you fall asleep during it, I found it almost impossible to find where I was. Now that I'm mainly listening in the car and at work, I might give it another go when I finish Robogenesis (Robopocalypse book 2).
Old Bruce wrote:Mighty Morphine Power Ranger
Jplus wrote:Was that a response to penis or to tree?
Diana's boytoy.
Hey @Sniper can I have a sig too?
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Some stuff I read recently:
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet was pretty delightful. The focus is on the characters and their relationships so the story is a bit episodic, but I think that makes sense for what is essentially a roadmovie IN SPACE. It also manages to do some nice worldbuilding along the way.
  • The umpteenth installment of Rowling's crime novel thing, The Ink Black Heart is pretty much just more of the same stuff as before. I got it for Christmas and I probably wouldn't have read it otherwise. It's mostly all right and decently exciting, but I was a bit down on the ending of the last one and something like that happens again.
    Spoiler (Show/Hide)
    Which is that the big reveal has to surprise the reader and so the murderer turns out to be a character nobody within the story considered. That's kinda tricky to pull off after 1100 pages of the main characters detectiving the hell out of everyone who had any kind of connection to the victim, so in this one it turns out to be a character that had two rather brief appearances in the entire story.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

somitomi wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:39 pm Ra by Sam Hughes, a science ficton take on "magic" as a branch of physics (i.e. something involving a lot of complicated equations named after people) discovered in the 1970s. I find it entirely fascinating and since I habitually read in bed before going to sleep, precious little could stop me from missing sleep because I can't put it down.
Oh man, I was trying to remember this! I remembered you posting about it but for some reason I thought it was on the old forum. Adding to list.
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Most recently read Ancillary Justice. Was really interesting. Probably up there as one of my fave science-fiction novels I've read. From wiki, apparently it's the only novel to have won the Hugo, Nebula, and Arthur C. Clarke awards.

Back-Cover Summary:
Breq is an ancillary: one of the AIs used by the burgeoning Radch empire to control the bodies of its soldiers. She’s used to commanding a starship, with all its sophisticated machinery and deadly firepower at her fingertips. But someone has ripped her away from the systems that are hers by right: now she’s left with nothing at her disposal except fallible flesh.
I'm currently reading Axiom's End by Lindsay Ellis and The Peripheral by William Gibson.

Next on the list is Circe and/or The Name of the Wind.

(apologies if double posting isn't allowed)
Last edited by Seven on Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina