What you're all really here for.
boomfrog

Re: Secret Santa Game Thread

Post by boomfrog »

@wmu: what do you think of Bessie?
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

@osie: jfc, what did you expect to accomplish with your mega wall? Because the result is no one but Bessie will read it.
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

The Snide Sniper wrote:Vote: no elim
*twitch twitch*

You have no idea how much I am an anti-fan of this, like mid-oughts Tom Brady in NE hatred levels.

*twitch twitch*
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

bessie wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:15 pm Confirm.
Read this first.

Hopefully you haven't gotten sucked into Osie's mega wall yet. I recommend you completely skip it for D1. We're not eliminating Osie D1*, and you spending time on refuting him will only weaken our ability to judge you and get useful judgement out of you. If we want to get a real vote to eliminate before deadline we need to coalesce now.

*If he's town he's valuable to eliminate later so he has time to contribute more.. If he's scum, he's by far the highest volume, and will generate so many clues to scum mates it's worth waiting to D2. Also, not enough people are convinced and you won't convince them D1.
bessie

Post by bessie »

I’m here but very late! Tonight’s posting might be a little light let’s see how it goes.

Oh boy Osie made a post about me me me!
osieorb18 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:11 am I called out bessie for not thinking about other players so she made a post mostly thinking about other players lol. Self-conscious, much?
Nope. This game is not all about you you you. I made that post because WakeMeUp requested my reads on everyone, and I told her I would do my best to have them the same night. See here:
bessie wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:19 am
xX_WakeMeUp1337_Xx wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:35 am Bessie can you share reads for everyone else?
Yes. Reminder for everyone that doesn’t know me well, I have a very consistent style as either alignment so my style is NAI. I usually make one post a day (on weeknights; on weekends I have more time), where I review all the content since my previous post, and reply to any questions directed toward me, and to things I find interesting. I usually don’t do reads lists until after the game has been running for a few days and everyone has some content, so that I can consider the game content as a whole while I think about it. I’ll try to share some reads tonight in addition to my daily catch up post.

Hmmmm, now there's more stuff in this Osie post to which I already responded. Anything new?

osieorb18 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:11 am - "Hahaha my question to moody was not a throwaway question, it was completely serious, and I received a response," And then didn't follow up or publicly note anything. So any "I have noted" comment is, as far as the rest of us are concerned, rather suspect.
I’m puzzled as to your meaning. I asked moody for his snap reads, he provided snap reads publicly for all to see, I noted he complied with my request. What do you have to do with this? Not everything is about you.

osieorb18 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:11 am I found Madge to be a very competent player in the game I hosted and while I guess she hosted the other game I thought she was in, I have gotten more than enough direct interaction to feel comfortable in making a hot meta analysis rather than whatever cold meta standard you were holding me towards.
Not what you said. You said as either alignment, but you have no knowledge of her town game. Your words:
osieorb18 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:33 am The worst, WakeMeUp, and Madge are way better players than me as either alignment.

What, two more Osie posts about me??? I’ll go through these later and respond to anything new, a very quick skim shows a lot of stuff to which I have already responded.
viewtopic.php?p=16516#p16516
viewtopic.php?p=16517#p16517

the worst wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:01 am
bessie wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:19 am Well I would like to see you post some analysis today, so how about expanding on a null read?
My nullreads are like, sniper and heury. I don't really feel motivated to into them.

What is with "you want to see me post some analysis"? Literally all I've been doing is posting my takes on the game as it moves along lol
Just trying to nail down some solid reads from you. How about a town-scum list?

the worst wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:10 am I kind of have a backwards opinion on this?; i think scum are p likely to feel jarred by being called out on being scum (reactionary guilty conscience mindset) where I think town are generally more motivated to just ignore stuff that doesn't really help them?

This is probably backwards for newer players who err towards the whole "how dare u scumread me" vibe but as soon as someone has enough experience playing scum, I think they're significantly more likely to 1) be drawn to react to someone calling them scum due to subconscious guilt + 2) see a way to try pick someone apart - scum looove feeling like they're right.

I guess I'm wondering if there's anything else to what you were getting at? I dont think we agree at all about the way osie is ramping up. I think he's gotten more and more perplexed without showing any real sign of guilt which I'd associste with a town mindset before a scum one :/
I guess we do have completely opposite views on this then, because I gave you the reason I was pinged (scum not wanting to discuss what a player finds scummy about them). I also thing the ramping up is scummy, in that I think Osie is now trying to monopolize my time so I don’t have an opportunity to interact with anyone else, and also flood the thread to appear like he is contributing more unique and useful content than he is. I’m not sure why you think mafia should display signs of guilt, and what that would be. Can you give me an example?

the worst wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:19 am Some out of game stuff I won't elaborate on here.
You’re good. all We’re pretty accommodating on RL issues here.

the worst wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:22 am good lawd
if someone gets through the osie wall I'd appreciate cliffnotes

I'm gonna politely suggest osie & bessie take a lil break from each other
I’m trying! But if I don’t reply to everything Osie posts he calls me scum for it!

madge wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:44 am what the fuck, i wrote a whole post at work today and it didn't post??? i thought it did. ffs

i am really drained and not up to writing a post and just COMPLETELY DISHEARTENED becaus i worked hard on it

tl;dr i trust boomfrog the most out of everyone

i m SO MAD
Sorry Madge here’s a Hoku pic to cheer you up.
hoku.PNG
hoku.PNG (175.23 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

madge wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:44 am that said i am so ready to yeet osie so i don't have to read those long osts T_T
Don’t worry about it, you can read the cliff notes that I prepare for the Worst!

madge wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:00 pm Are topic reply noti not working?
Did you subscribe? By default the box looks like it is checked but you need to actually go and check it.
Pre-post edit: solved.

The Snide Sniper wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:49 am Okay, with this and osie's posts in mind I think I'm leaning towards bessie being the scum but I still don't think there's really enough for a solid elim yet. Not without actual evidence from investigative roles.

Vote: no elim
Oh somebody’s not going to like this… :shock:

@Snide Sniper, BoomFrog’s right, you really should vote, I would strongly urge you to vote, even if it’s for me.

boomfrog wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:39 am Read this first.
It’s not really how I wanted to spend my precious one hour of game time on weeknights. The thing is, Osie calls me scum for not replying to everything he writes, in the way he wants, even the second or third time he quotes my same content. I remember Vicarin as mafia did the same thing to me in a game, and he was doing it to totally monopolize my time under the pretense of “scumhunting” me.

I really believe Osie is mafia in this game, and he is doing the same thing.

@BoomFrog how about if anyone else wants me to respond to anything in particular in Osie’s walls, they let me know and I will comply? Will this be acceptable to you?

WakeMeUp, this is still unanswered. Can you reply?
bessie wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:19 am @WakeMeUp, can you answer this question:
bessie wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:07 am
xX_WakeMeUp1337_Xx wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:28 pm Ftr NUF is a site where cool people are playing mafia :)
Can you give me more information, like the full name of the site? I don’t know what the abbreviation NUF stands for.

Peace and puppies.
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

"@BoomFrog how about if anyone else wants me to respond to anything in particular in Osie’s walls, they let me know and I will comply? Will this be acceptable to you?"

That sounds ideal. I have zero things in Osie's posts that I'm interested in you responding to. I'll let you know if that changes.
the worst

Post by the worst »

xX_WakeMeUp1337_Xx wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:06 pm Where on earth you see bad faith in the fact I asked you a question and in the fact i was showing how you avoided the answer?

I asked for your view over the game. You react like I ofended you.
Why don't you answer at any of my questions?

You know what? This is boring.
This is where I'm at too. I feel like I've tried to answer in good faith and keep being met by a wall lol. I'm gonna keep doing my thing.
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

I remember Vicarin as mafia did the same thing to me in a game, and he was doing it to totally monopolize my time under the pretense of “scumhunting” me.

I'm fairly confident that this is a tactic Osie would find distasteful. He's a fairly principled player and that is an unfun way to win. Note how he criticized you for what he thought was you ruining a "casual game". He wouldn't use that kind of tactic. Vicatrian was much more of a "anything not against the rules is fair play" and "victory at any cost" type of player.

But I am awaiting my answer as to what he actually did want to achieve.
the worst

Post by the worst »

The Snide Sniper wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:49 am
the worst wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:54 am
The Snide Sniper wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:58 pm So I have hardly anything to go off of thus far, but this in particular stuck out to me:

Is anyone actually able to verify this? I think it might help in untangling the whole bessie/osie deal?
Osie and I have been scum together, and ive played against scum!Osie before.

Hes p capable of like, posting and keeping up momentum, and I think his tactical game should be pretty respectable as scum. But his towngame is sharper and has a lot more nuance.
Okay, with this and osie's posts in mind I think I'm leaning towards bessie being the scum but I still don't think there's really enough for a solid elim yet. Not without actual evidence from investigative roles.

As a general rule, I'd discourage no elim d1. Eliminating is town's way of removing players and nightkills are scum's way - ceding eliminations means we give scum a higher % of deaths.

Two super generic scenarios:
7v2 - elim town d1, scum kill n1;
5v2 - elim town d2, scum kill n2;
3v2 - day 3 ELo with 2 elims & 2 NKs

7v2 - no elim d1, scum kill n1;
6v2 - elim town d2, scum kill n2;
4v2 - day 3 ELo with 1 miselm & 2 NKs

Gonna reiterate that nobody should react directly to this for risk of spewing power roles but just have a read and digest and reconsider that voting stance.

What are your other reads?
the worst

Post by the worst »

boomfrog wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 am
The Snide Sniper wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:49 am Okay, with this and osie's posts in mind I think I'm leaning towards bessie being the scum but I still don't think there's really enough for a solid elim yet. Not without actual evidence from investigative roles.

I understand where you are coming from, it's tempting to rely on (mostly) reliable results from investigative roles. But even with the high power levels of this game, the game balance is set so that we will lose if we don't take calculated risks.

Also, there is an incredibly high amount of information to gain from looking at how people shape up for the serious votes. We will never figure out who is working together if we don't vote to eliminate people every game day.

You should vote for someone. Even just a random vote from a townie dilutes scum's ability to manipulate the vote. Trust your gut and vote. You learn more by doing.
Yeah this one.
the worst

Post by the worst »

moody7277 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:15 am
*twitch twitch*

You have no idea how much I am an anti-fan of this, like mid-oughts Tom Brady in NE hatred levels.

*twitch twitch*
Why do u think Snide is scum for it?
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

@Bessie: vote Moody? I know he's your second choice scum pick.
the worst

Post by the worst »

Just trying to nail down some solid reads from you. How about a town-scum list?
Something like;
{tw}
{boom}
{madge}
{osie}
{wmu} i think is getting a d1 pass.
{who-eury, snide}
{bessie}
{moody}

I'll have a read on Snide before EoD I think. Heury i literally dont think has posted.
the worst

Post by the worst »

madge/osie can probably swap positions I just don't think osie has made my soul go "ooohhhhhhh" yet but I'm also more abjectly terrified of madge
the worst

Post by the worst »

boomfrog wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:21 am "@BoomFrog how about if anyone else wants me to respond to anything in particular in Osie’s walls, they let me know and I will comply? Will this be acceptable to you?"

That sounds ideal. I have zero things in Osie's posts that I'm interested in you responding to. I'll let you know if that changes.
cosigned
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

the worst wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:34 am
*twitch twitch*

*twitch twitch*
That is not evidence of being scum since he's a newer player. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine, and you've already given a short blurb as to why it's not a good idea.
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

Didn't realize this started and got prodded during work. I'll be on for a couple hours in about 10 hours. Feel free to @ me with any questions until then!

Wordle 229 3/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩⬛🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Anyone that can figure out my first guess I will tell my role to.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
the worst

Post by the worst »

Not all that interested in ur role but solved in 3 is nice, grats! I think id be keen to see what you think of madge, snide and moody, first

if you can get a confident read on wmu I'd welcome that and if you can sort osie/bessie outside of their interactions with each other do it, otherwise you can probably scroll thru a lot of their lengthier back-and-forths
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

boomfrog wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:37 am @osie: jfc, what did you expect to accomplish with your mega wall? Because the result is no one but Bessie will read it.
I mean, I'm figuring that at best the back-and-forth with Bessie might just be a playstyle clash and her just not understanding my posts, even if more likely, her repeated misreps are just scummy rather than innocent misinterpretations. So the quote wall is me stepping into Bessie's playstyle as a good faith attempt to communicate with her on her terms.

If she continues to refuse to communicate in good faith, I'll just ignore her and focus elsewhere and leave my vote on her for the rest of the game until she's eliminated.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

boomfrog wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:30 am
I remember Vicarin as mafia did the same thing to me in a game, and he was doing it to totally monopolize my time under the pretense of “scumhunting” me.

I'm fairly confident that this is a tactic Osie would find distasteful. He's a fairly principled player and that is an unfun way to win. Note how he criticized you for what he thought was you ruining a "casual game". He wouldn't use that kind of tactic. Vicatrian was much more of a "anything not against the rules is fair play" and "victory at any cost" type of player.

But I am awaiting my answer as to what he actually did want to achieve.
Oh gross, she really suggested that? Yeah, she's just not engaging in good faith with the thread, and she'd have to seriously change course and present good faith communication for me to believe otherwise.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

I like most of the worst's recent posts but I don't like the way they seem to be stealing my wording. Feels like a pocket attempt.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

moody7277 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:35 pm
the worst wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:34 am

*twitch twitch*

*twitch twitch*
That is not evidence of being scum since he's a newer player. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine, and you've already given a short blurb as to why it's not a good idea.
This post is bugging me but I'm not sure why.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

WMU+worst doesn't feel like theatre. I find them both town individually, but I could see teams with either one of them working just not the both of them.

Moody and Bessie both seem like scum individually and as a team. The way Bessie has had a pretense of sorting Moody while keeping their read on Moody hidden or flipping between potential reads just seems really buddy flavored.

I'mma do a world listing when I get a sec. The misreps + gishgallops + OGI + Bad-Faith-non-follow-ups really got to me, hence why I took a break from the thread.
xX_WakeMeUp1337_Xx

Post by xX_WakeMeUp1337_Xx »

Eod is in 17 hours from now on, i feel i need more time (i am still sick) but i will try to make the best vote until then

The worst came to a conclusion who is positive in the sense he stopped the convo and that is giving him a townie point because scum likes to fill the thread with such banter endlessly.
We didn't get along well in the previous game where i wasn't MLed only because Seven read me correctly and shielded me. Maybe we just need to know each other better.

Osie wanting to answer at Bessie's posts in the same way while making such an effort looks good.
I am used with people misreading Osie and for that i don't know what to do with Bessie's push.

Heury is hard to sort, but probably scum would try more? Idk...

I need to read.

Who town reads Madge please tell me why
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Oh jeez less than 24 hours left. Bessie actually wasted the entire day phase, damn.

Okay. Starting work on a teamsolve PoE based on Day 1 interactions.