Songs of Our Times Mafia Game Thread - Game Over

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
madge

Re: Songs of Our Times Mafia Game Thread - Day 1

Post by madge »

Who is Xivii? They aren't in the player list.
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
xX_WakeMeUp1337_Xx

Post by xX_WakeMeUp1337_Xx »

I hate when i wake up overnight :(
The sorting posts at the bottom is really useful

Is this your 'slip' Wisp?
Seven wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:40 amMichelle!
I registered, posted in a general thread and came here to read.
Use your mind and think a little.
Seven wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:48 am Wrong thread. I meant to post that in scum chat.

Town reading me isn't going to make me change my read btw.

Also @Sabrar fair enough @everything honestly. My suspicions are more or less allayed.
The bolded is never a slip, if Seven is town it's a joke, if Seven is scum is an attempt to burry me.
Logic says a wolf wouldn't trade their life for just one villager like that, it's a nonsense
Seven wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:49 pm The wisp case for reference.
The case shows that meta wise Wisp is not towny, and indeed his tone is rather irritated which is a thing I saw at scum!Wisp and he took the so called slip in an opportunistic way, instead saying something like 'i was never wrong on Michelle, let's see what she' ll post'

But I need to read more, and I know I would rather let himself resolve by that claim or by the fact town Wisp is dangerous for the wolves, so i have no intention to vote Wisp toDay (caveat i have to catch up) .

Btw @Seven why did you say the bolded? It made me laugh, ftr ^^

Because i have posts limitations i will insert few quotes i saved in my notepad
the worst wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:22 pm vote: Wisp

My excitement to be here is matched only by my sadness that Wisp has rolled mafia :<
At the first glance this looks like a test vote
Wisp wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:13 pm
the worst wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:22 pm vote: Wisp

My excitement to be here is matched only by my sadness that Wisp has rolled mafia :<
well its a good thing I'm not :), so be happy
I don't see here an attempt to understand The worst's alignment, but the mention :be happy' means he could be villager? Am I wrong @Wisp?
If i am right how did you make a read?
the worst wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:19 pm Oh you're not mafia?? Thank goodness, had me scared for a hot minute.

Would love a vibe check but my reading of the atmospheric energy of the thread tells me that Sabrar, Wam and Morgan are town, and

vote: SuperJedi224
The worst is taking what Wisp said at face value in a game of lies. How come @the worst?
I presume the vibe check you had back then turned into a real read, which is it?
SuperJedi224 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:54 pmHello wake
Hello Jedi, if you are villager, what's your opinion about your wagon, and what's your read on the players voting you?

Also back to sleep
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

madge wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:59 pm Who is Xivii? They aren't in the player list.
That's another alias for Seven.

Also I'm pretty sure Vaimes=Morgan.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

@Michelle
Possibly, though I won't rescend my Seven wolf read
I'm going to ignore the slip, I don't even think it needs to be pushed to point out that Sevens handling of me doesn't come from a villager imo.

Though I don't believe in coincidences, I believe in Occam's razor

Though I appreciate your handling of my slot
Idk how that would be an attempt to bury ur slot though
I probably won't even be alive to re-evaluate your slot
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

Ok fair I'll accept that mistake, I'm still calling seven a wolf
Tonally you are town, anyways
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

Honestly wouldn't be the first time i called out stuff like that, probably won't be the last

Anyways this very likely to be town!Michelle
Kekw
I might re-evaluate seven if I'm alive tomorrow, doubtful
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

God this is exactly why I prefer to vibe...
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

madge wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:39 am bessie is my favourite player right now. very analytical. i trust her more than i trust myself. this trust will be re-eval d2

i also more generally trust seven who basically had scum immediately on starting Halloween

and wisp seems to know what they're doing.

i think those 3 are my main sheep candidates for the future, but i also don't think i will need to sheep today / have time to sheep today.
How do you reconcile that two of us are dead-set on one another?
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

1. Suzaku
3. madge
5. Wam
10. Morgan
12. Sabrar
13. MathBlade

Town
Wisp

bessie
Wake

Null: Zeniba Seven, the worst

SuperJedi224
moody7277
Wolf

i am moving Seven to null, until I can re-evaluate that slot, if I ever can now
I will think about the others in a bit, I just got home after a crazy day

vote: Moody
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Sabrar wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:00 pm Reason 1: could be coming from scum for reasons stated. have seen it from town as well more than a few times.
Yeah, but it doesn't matter what other people have done, it matters what wisp does. And I've not seen town!Wisp this self-conscious. Also for the record, this was just a sample, the post I found most egregious, but it's been a pattern this game. Especially with regard to his play style which, if I recall correctly, is something he came up with after he was called out for seeming off.
Reason 2: disagree entirely that it is lurking. I have also done line-by-line analysis in the past to illustrate a point.
To be clear, I believe it is active-lurking, which is doing unnecessary busy-work to look productive. Doing a line-by-line analysis is very different from going through an entire recall post as if they were points moody was making and not simply recall. It is also different from saying "calling out bessie is good, kinda wish he voted there". It's very hard for me to put into words why that is obvscum, but it is. People just don't talk like that.
Reason 3: I agree that it is not a good idea to tell scum how you will find them though.
And what do you make of it in terms of his alignment?
Reason 4: this is bs. People are allowed to change their minds without being wishy-washy.
People can change their minds, but I don't see how anyone could believe Wisp was joking about the town-core post. He qualified his town read by providing reasoning for it in the very post. And then further qualified it in a following post.

"If you don't want to lock me as town, then that's fine, I'm still putting you in my towncore, I think from a meta standpoint, you aren't a wolf"
" I just think I can pull things out that I like, based on my many many experiences with him. And I think he is focusing on a lot of things, which doesn't really fall under what I typically expect wolf!vaimes to do"
Seven (she, him, their)
bessie

Post by bessie »

Daily catch up post.
Sabrar wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:16 am I'll take a look at Apex later. As I already explained I think scum!bessie would have directed a snark at a different target.
I object. I am not selective. I snark wherever the path leads me.

Sabrar wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:21 am
bessie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:57 am Interesting. SuperJedi is unhelpful, but in your opinion, is it in a malicious way, and does that make SuperJedi scum? Why not vote MathBlade, who is the only other player on whom you actually have firm scum lean?
I can't determine maliciousness and it doesn't make them scum necessarily. But they have a wagon, MathBlade does not and it's better for my power to vote them here.
So is it more important to you to catch scum or to use your power?

MathBlade wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:21 am The entirety of page 8 feels wrong like either multiple scum posting or a wrong assumption it just feels bad juju and I can’t put my finger on exactly what.
skeptical bessie.PNG
skeptical bessie.PNG (77.77 KiB) Viewed 1239 times

Wisp wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:02 pm Lmao a wolf slip, haven't seen one of those in ages
Rip
Wisp, I see what you see, but I believe it is inconclusive in itself. I was online and posting at the same time Osie made the replacement announcement here (as you can see I have the posts immediately before and after), and WakeMeUp was also online browsing the forum, so it was apparent that Michelle was the replacement.

However, it has been in my mind for a while that the mafia team was SuperJedi, Zeniba, and patzer, at least since I made this post on Page 6 (where I hinted at my suspicions):
bessie wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:47 am I asked about the opening post in particular because it was regarding opening posts that started this line of questioning. SuperJedi’s opening post appeared me as someone looking for a real wagon to jump on (as opposed to RVS). But I agree the last post you quoted was the most suspicious, and reinforces my thoughts that he’s just looking for an elimination, any elimination. I would normally be all over this, but the reason I am still pondering it and not voting is because of day chat. Either his partner(s) (1) aren’t coaching him, (2) are also inexperienced, (3) are absent, or (4) he doesn’t have any.
See also this, from one of patzer's two game-content posts:
patzer wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:56 am question is which yeet would give the most info. Jedi wagon doesn’t make sense to me. Any other ideas?
Note also that WakeMeUp bolded that same line when she quoted patzer here .

Seven wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:48 pm Could everyone state their opinion of wisp and my wisp case in their next post. Especially @Sabrar @theworst @morgan and @mathblade.
It’s a good case, but I think you could make a compelling case regardless of your respective alignments.

Wisp wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:58 pm I'm not surviving tonight anyways
I hard claim Town Home

I'm a both ways kill stopper
I stop outgoing and ingoing attacks on my target
And if I successfully stop a kill this way, I become immune to being vote the next day phase

I asked many questions, one which includes the thread being notified in the day opening, of the fact I couldn't be voted if I ever was successful.
Hmmm. I am always suspicious of Day 1 claims.

Morgan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:20 pm
Sabrar wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:17 pm
It was a tradition on the old xkcd site to have a forum where spectators could speculate about the game, also where players could post their true thoughts/vent their frustrations/etc. It is a gentlemen's agreement not to read those spoilers, the xkcd crowd takes mafia less seriously than you might be used to.
That's still a pretty bad idea, *especially* if it's possible for active players to unintentionally access those posts.
This is one of our most-beloved traditions and after the game I hope you find it fun to read through the spoilers. I found the mafia forum on xkcd, and reading the spoilers in the Gojoe thread is what made me want to start playing mafia!

moody7277 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:23 pm On Seven's case re Wisp.

There being just four points considering the volume he's put up seems a bit thin, but one of the points was about active lurking. His wanting to elim bessie regardless of evidence is definitely, to borrow his word, gross. Also Seven's point about him trying to get a town read on him without it looking like he wants to recruit a town read could be interpreted as building up a buffer against a just elim.
Re the bolded, interesting that you said pretty much the same thing here:
moody7277 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:26 am I wouldn't call it complete filler. Madge being Madge implies a level of confusion that is more likely to be townie. And I've already said that if I don't think bessie looks solidly town I'd policy elim her.
Pre-post edit, see also this post .

SuperJedi224 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:54 pmHello wake
Hi SuperJedi. You’re here and following the thread; do you have any reads?

madge wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:59 pm Who is Xivii? They aren't in the player list.
Seven is Xivii on Smashboards, and Zenii on the old xkcd forum.

Back in a bit. I will definitely not be online at deadline, so if anyone has any questions for me please post them within the next couple hours.

Ninja'd by Seven. Back later.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

@Bessie
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
we won't talk about that any more lol
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

@bessie:

The difference between how I handle reading you versus what Wisp seemed to say is that I actually try to read you and have what some may consider an unusually high bar for considering you townie, while Wisp is saying he can't tell if you're scum so he'll vote to eliminate you D3 or so regardless.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Wisp wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:00 am @Bessie
I just got home and haven't been talking about it all day like the rest of you. These are my thoughts as I read through the thread.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

bessie wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:17 am
I just got home and haven't been talking about it all day like the rest of you. These are my thoughts as I read through the thread.
idk why u took this post so seriously lol
I was only trying to make a joke out of my embarrassing mistake in terms of Seven/Wake
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

bessie wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:46 am However, it has been in my mind for a while that the mafia team was SuperJedi, Zeniba, and patzer, at least since I made this post on Page 6 (where I hinted at my suspicions):
bessie wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:47 am I asked about the opening post in particular because it was regarding opening posts that started this line of questioning. SuperJedi’s opening post appeared me as someone looking for a real wagon to jump on (as opposed to RVS). But I agree the last post you quoted was the most suspicious, and reinforces my thoughts that he’s just looking for an elimination, any elimination. I would normally be all over this, but the reason I am still pondering it and not voting is because of day chat. Either his partner(s) (1) aren’t coaching him, (2) are also inexperienced, (3) are absent, or (4) he doesn’t have any.
See also this, from one of patzer's two game-content posts:
patzer wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:56 am question is which yeet would give the most info. Jedi wagon doesn’t make sense to me. Any other ideas?
Note also that WakeMeUp bolded that same line when she quoted patzer here .
One, two, and three are crossed off for your proposed team because I am here, experienced, and coached Peaceful Whale into being townread despite the initial flack against him. Would do the same for Jedi here. The Patzer line is NAI. She said the same thing about Sniper in Halloween here:
patzer wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:36 pm Really struggling to see the argument for a Snide Sniper yeet when he’s barely got any strong signs against him, whilst Seven does have quite a few suspicious signs and would give us an actual flip.
Not quite sure how the Wake bold is relevant.
Seven (she, him, their)
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

moody7277 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:09 am @bessie:

The difference between how I handle reading you versus what Wisp seemed to say is that I actually try to read you and have what some may consider an unusually high bar for considering you townie, while Wisp is saying he can't tell if you're scum so he'll vote to eliminate you D3 or so regardless.
I would say under most circumstances that is correct
but I also don't live in black and white worlds, where I follow strict plans for everything
so no, I wouldn't just wake up day 3, and off Bessie
bessie

Post by bessie »

Wisp wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 am
bessie wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:17 am
idk why u took this post so seriously lol
I was only trying to make a joke out of my embarrassing mistake in terms of Seven/Wake
Interesting that WakeMeUp talked herself into a town lean, but you do tend to change your mind a lot, from what I have observed.

Interesting too that I had that thought when patzer was still in the game, and unrealated to Seven's "slip", yet you now wont even consider my theory.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Seven wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:24 am One, two, and three are crossed off for your proposed team because I am here, experienced, and coached Peaceful Whale into being townread despite the initial flack against him. Would do the same for Jedi here. The Patzer line is NAI. She said the same thing about Sniper in Halloween here:
patzer wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:36 pm Really struggling to see the argument for a Snide Sniper yeet when he’s barely got any strong signs against him, whilst Seven does have quite a few suspicious signs and would give us an actual flip.
Correction: You are here now. I was actually wondering if SuperJedi's content would improve after you joined, but that would be suspicious too, wouldn't it?

Both patzer's quote and WakeMeUp bolding it is relevant, because they may be trying to move the elimination away from SuperJedi.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

what theory? that the team is Seven/Wake/Jedi?
I'd like to think my ability to read Wake is really good, but sure if u want to add more points against me, do your thing I guess
doesn't somehow make me a wolf though

I would say Wake has a very strong wolf game, as well as a town game, but I think the biggest difference is in terms of her energy, she tends to give how this, "I actually enjoy the game I am playing in" vibe, as a town, while as a wolf it just feels like she is going through motions to win the game

I tend to change my mind a lot, which is exactly why I don't like trying to read people as early as possible
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

bessie wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:32 am
Seven wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:24 am One, two, and three are crossed off for your proposed team because I am here, experienced, and coached Peaceful Whale into being townread despite the initial flack against him. Would do the same for Jedi here. The Patzer line is NAI. She said the same thing about Sniper in Halloween here:
Correction: You are here now. I was actually wondering if SuperJedi's content would improve after you joined, but that would be suspicious too, wouldn't it?

Both patzer's quote and WakeMeUp bolding it is relevant, because they may be trying to move the elimination away from SuperJedi.
Again though, Pat said the same thing about newbie Sniper who was also newbieing it up. The bolding for Wake is confbi as she bolded every read Pat had and Jedi just happens to be the wagon. If Carlton Banks was the wagon she would have bolded a line about Carlton Banks.
Seven (she, him, their)
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Wisp wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:25 am
moody7277 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:09 am @bessie:

I would say under most circumstances that is correct
but I also don't live in black and white worlds, where I follow strict plans for everything
so no, I wouldn't just wake up day 3, and off Bessie
Of course there are several things that could happen between now and then. This just seems like your default position should you and her still be alive and no other more secure facts be available to you.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

I have nothing good to say about Jedi
and my read of Seven is conflicted, I have reasons for why he could go either way, so /shrug
bessie

Post by bessie »

Wisp wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:33 am what theory? that the team is Seven/Wake/Jedi?
I'd like to think my ability to read Wake is really good, but sure if u want to add more points against me, do your thing I guess
Interesting.

You know how you said that I beat you twice as mafia? In one of those games, I replaced WakeMeUp.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

bessie wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:46 am
Wisp wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:33 am what theory? that the team is Seven/Wake/Jedi?
Interesting.

You know how you said that I beat you twice as mafia? In one of those games, I replaced WakeMeUp.
ya that game was way back in the day before I had lots of experience with Wake, my handling of Wake was different, I assumed her low posting was NAI, which it still is, but honestly I don't even remember he content in that game, so its hard to say what happened there

but then you replaced that slot, and I immediately called you out