Songs of Our Times Mafia Game Thread - Game Over

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
bessie

Re: Songs of Our Times Mafia Game Thread - Day 1

Post by bessie »

Morning catch up.
Wisp wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:02 am I mean I am a pretty selective player, I think trying to focus on everything will only hurt you, macro and real time, are the easiest ways to slide into false town leans. Also I dont understand what you are arguing here, am I not suppose to attack the things I wish to pick apart?
I understand this comment, as I am often attacked for focusing on a few players, but those that know me also know that I am a reactive player, and tend to interact mostly with those that interact with me, and use my remaining time focused on my scum reads.

I am poking at you because I am trying to figure out if you have an agenda.

Wisp wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:02 am I am not asking one to solve the game on day 1, I'm not, that's for sure. I ask that if you are going to waste my time, and everyone else's time, writing rehashes of the thread, very little or no conclusion at all, is as you like to call it, "filler", because it fills the thread with nothing new
This is kinda the meta here. But unlike others, I believe that everything or anything posted in the thread (with some exceptions including the RL chit chat that xkcders are apt to engage in, like Madge and her nails) is useful information and open to analysis. The long read lists that include post summaries give me an idea of what a player is focusing on and has felt important enough to note, and especially in late game, those D1 lists can be very enlightening after a few flips. And you yourself are making reads based on what other players have decided to post. The reverse also holds, that I often find omissions as interesting as content, and what a player has not noted is also open to analysis (like SuperJedi’s total lack of reasons for his scum leans).

Wam wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:42 pm Just poking you as town bessie responds as above acum bessie is diffwrnet.
Nonsense. I’m indignant as any alignment.

SuperJedi224 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:06 pm I mean we can't really discount anyone yet but

vote Suzaku
SuperJedi, please provide a list of every player in the game, with your towniest read at the top and your scummiest read at the bottom, with no groupings and no omissions. Here is an example (for illustration purposes only):

Town
Suzaku
moody7277
madge
Zeniba
Wam
bessie
patzer
SuperJedi224
the worst
Morgan
Wisp
Sabrar
MathBlade
Scum

It would also be nice if you would provide a one sentence summary for each player as to why they are where they are on the list, but at a very minimum please provide the list in you next post.

MathBlade wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:49 pm Everyone here townreads me.
Yet no one is willing to vote Suzaku.
And no one is willing to explain why Suzaku is townread to them.
What is your basis for this observation?

Nice, Sabrar is finally here!

Ninja'd by MathBlade while I was typing this out.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

MathBlade wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:16 pm
Wisp wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:15 pm
MathBlade wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:49 pm Hmmmm thought experiment.

Everyone here townreads me.
Yet no one is willing to vote Suzaku.
And no one is willing to explain why Suzaku is townread to them.

So short answer Suzaku is scum?
Who is town reading Suzaku?
People starting counter wagons instead of having hopped on.
There was a lot of suspicion yet the wagon didn’t fly.
That's not how this works at all lol

Anyways, That was a good read list from Sabrar
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

I'd be pretty mind blown if this turns out to be wolf!Bessie
MathBlade

Post by MathBlade »

Wisp wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:24 pm
MathBlade wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:16 pm
Wisp wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:15 pm

Who is town reading Suzaku?
People starting counter wagons instead of having hopped on.
There was a lot of suspicion yet the wagon didn’t fly.
That's not how this works at all lol

Anyways, That was a good read list from Sabrar
That is indeed how this works. If you townread someone and agree with their reads there is a tendency for a certain number of players to sheep. The fact this has not happened indicates either scum, a stronger scumread, or arrogance.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

No, because in the real world, trains just don't congo line, it's completely irrelevant regardless of even if Suzaku is a wolf, which they are still one of the people at the bottom of my list.

Trying to use wagon growth or lack thereof is just not accurate, and it just feels like shade on Suzaku
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

And who is even being town read to a degree, that people should sheep them? Bessie, who isn't even voting yet? Which I won't deny I think they are super likely to be town, but again they aren't voting. I can't think of anyone else.
MathBlade

Post by MathBlade »

Wisp wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:01 pm No, because in the real world, trains just don't congo line, it's completely irrelevant regardless of even if Suzaku is a wolf, which they are still one of the people at the bottom of my list.

Trying to use wagon growth or lack thereof is just not accurate, and it just feels like shade on Suzaku
Yes it’s not absolute. However it’s very odd the number of wagons that game up which feels like anyone but Sukazu. It’s a spectrum. Trains don’t just conga line for some of the reasons I have mentioned, but the fact that I am a universal TR but not sheeped and not explained why I am not sheeped is suspicious.
MathBlade

Post by MathBlade »

Wisp wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:07 pm And who is even being town read to a degree, that people should sheep them? Bessie, who isn't even voting yet? Which I won't deny I think they are super likely to be town, but again they aren't voting. I can't think of anyone else.
Myself. No one has expressed a scumread on me except just recently when I asked why not which is hella sus.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

No, no one has expressed scum reads on you, you don't become a town lean just because the prior isn't a thing

You aren't living in any real world if you think that's how this works.

And Sabrar has recently expressed a scum read on you, and I'm quite sure that isn't dependent on your post
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Re bessie's list:

Sees name second from top: yay :D
"For illustration purposes only": awww :(

Non-votables for D1:
Madge, bessie, MathBlade, the worst, Sabrar

Unsure:
wam, patzer, Morgan, Zeniba

Votables:
Wisp*, SuperJedi, Suzaku

*current vote

Given the lack of interest in a Wisp wagon, I am likely to switch to voting SuperJedi about 12 hours before deadline.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

Again everyone but Suzaku is just a false narrative, since you are living in a world where you think people should sheep you, and you are using that to throw shade on a wagon, when other people have expressed why they are voting where they are. Bessie has been the only wagon that people have expressed anything against, but that doesn't fit your narrative because u are one of the people that were against it, and I don't even know why
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

I never expect people to sheep me, based on my meta alone. Nobody else seems to think you're scum; I can live with that. The reason I am voting you is that when I did my first snap reads post, you ended up as the scummiest looking slot. The reason I oppose the bessie wagon is I am reading her as town.
madge

Post by madge »

Sabrar wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:21 pmHer being very independent is nothing new but I don't remember her being so aggressive about it.
The reason I'm so aggressive about it is because t here's new oeople here and what I always disliked about past games years ago was feeling pressured to attempt to do reads lists for the good of town. I am now convinced that reads lists are just not something I'm capable of.

But yeah basically I want to ensure that th e new meta of xkcdia has me FIRMLY ENTRENCHED as someone who will not do reads, because I have unfond memories of spending an hour or more going through posts looking for the mysterious scumtells that everyone else was capable of finding but that eluded me. So I don't want thaat to happen again. I'm probably overcompensating. and I also know that if we end up with 2v1 with me in kingmaker position I will begrudgingly go comb through everything. But let's not let me get there. (that is the other problem, becaause I'm so bad at mafia the mafi won't kill me! don't worry i will softclaim some awesome PR... or will I?)
@Madge: Could you explain what the other reasons for giving me minuses were that weren't negated? Clearly you haven't forgotten those.
you have too much faith in me. I know i made them and i know they seemed important at the time but I'm not going back through, soz

my vote was symbolic, i will probably move to a wagon. i strongly believe bessie is town so suzaku would be the logical choice of those two, but i also don't think that suzaku is scummy as wisp. wam and patzer have been very quiet, too, not sure if that's true or if i'm just missing them

my votables are suzaku.wisp,wam,patzer,sabrar,superjedi - i am inclined to join the jedi wagon because i trust that the majority of voters are probably better at mafia than i am, but there was also a wagon on suzaku that evaporated so maybe everyone is as confused as i am lol

regardless i feel like i overreacted to sabrar's joke about sheeping bessie (says I, who will no doubt sheep bessie d2 for whatever mysterius reasons i may have)

unvote

vote superjedi

unofficial votals:

Suzaku (3) - MathBlade, the worst, jedi
Wisp (1) - moody7277
moody7277 (1) - Suzaku
jedi (3) Morgan Wam madge
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

moody7277 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:08 pm I never expect people to sheep me, based on my meta alone. Nobody else seems to think you're scum; I can live with that. The reason I am voting you is that when I did my first snap reads post, you ended up as the scummiest looking slot. The reason I oppose the bessie wagon is I am reading her as town.
Sorry you kinda just sniped a post in the middle of mine, I was talking to the other guy, not you
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

On another note, I refuse to believe you've actively tried to read any of my new posts, cause I can't fathom how anyone thinks I'm trying to push some narrative here, honestly the only thing that might still mean anything in regards to me still being in my wolf meta, is the fact that I haven't voted yet, but that's mostly out of pride, since I want to make sure I vote a wolf
Wam

Post by Wam »

Morgan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:10 pm Wam, what is my alignment?
Busy but wanted to answer, neutral leaning Town. Not seen anything strongly either way but asking this gives some weak town points
SuperJedi224

Post by SuperJedi224 »

Not sure how much this will help, but because it was requested:

MathBlade
moody7277
patzer
madge
Wam
Zeniba
the worst
Morgan
bessie
Sabrar
Suzaku
Wisp
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

@superjedi
Do u have a town and a wolf game I can read?
bessie

Post by bessie »

Wisp wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:28 pm I'd be pretty mind blown if this turns out to be wolf!Bessie
Boo.

SuperJedi224 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:20 am Not sure how much this will help, but because it was requested:
Do you really not see how participating in the game helps? Did you really only post because it was requested and not because you want to help your team?
bessie

Post by bessie »

And SuperJedi, your town-scum list helps immensely, because if you flip scum it gives me a pretty good idea of whom with you are not partners.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

SuperJedi224 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:20 am Not sure how much this will help, but because it was requested:

MathBlade
moody7277
patzer
madge
Wam
Zeniba
the worst
Morgan
bessie
Sabrar
Suzaku
Wisp
can u give me a town and wolf game, and give one sentence on everyone? at least?
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Seven replaces Zeniba, effective immediately.

Do not discuss circumstances surrounding replacements.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

I'm sleepy and probably won't be around at the deadline, but I think we can safely off Wisp.

Vote: Wisp
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
Sabrar

Post by Sabrar »

Welcome Seven!

So ideally these next few players should have posted more...

patzer: nothing to report here, a single post with 'content' but it only contains a neutral read and some 'more later'-s. At least she's aware that she should be contributing more, but this is still lurking.

SuperJedi: first 4 posts have no content. 5th is terrible as already expressed by others. 6th at least has some opinions and there is a vote (and a t-s list after prodding) but we do not know any of the reasons behind. There seems to be no motivation to interact or drive the game forward. Active lurker and scum-lean.

Suzaku: I have no issues with his recap/read-list, that's a personal preference that a few players like to do. His explanation to Wisp looks natural. Unfortunately he hasn't posted ever since, can't even call him a lurker at this point. On the townier side of neutral if I'm forced to choose.

the worst: they are jumping around with their notes without any explanation, which I feel is coming from town more often then not as scum is usually self-aware of needing to provide justifications. I like their questions to others though they don't seem to have any follow-ups. Overall impression is good but they might be trying to replicate a known townie-meta.

@Wisp, MathBlade: what are your takes on the worst?

wam: I believe there was only a single game ever when I've read wam correctly, to disastrous results (WoT3). His content is subdued which actually makes me think he's town as he usually puts in more effort as scum.

@wam: why did you answer a question that was not addressed to you?