Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
osieorb18

Re: Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

Post by osieorb18 »

Yes, but only in direct private communication with the host. I think (and at least officially, most communities agree on this) that discussion of modkills and discussion of replacements do not belong in the game threads/chats.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Regarding the full list of stuff that Seven alleges I "micromod" (whatever that means), here are my opinions on them:
  • self-voting - I generally find that the vast majority of self-votes (read: over dozens of games) are in the context of game-throwing and/or temper tantrums that make the game thread unpleasant for the players. As such, I explicitly specify in the rules for some of my games that I will not allow self-voting in that game.
  • OGI/Angleshooting - MU has a great post about this here. Essentially, a mafia game follows a social contract and players who sign up agree to follow that contract as outlined by known rules of the site, community, and host. Whether intended for advantage or not, out-of-game and in-game need to stay separate to preserve the sanctity of the game experience. I am extremely lenient about this if it doesn't seem to be knowing/intentional and it doesn't seem to be an egregious or major damage to the game.
  • in-thread prod requests - As mentioned in the MU thread, I generally feel like this falls under (relatively mild) OGI. Most of the time, I'll just request in DM/PM that players message me privately rather than posting in the thread about possible moderation.
  • modkill speculation - Same as with prod requests, but even more so. On the spectrum from "This player hasn't posted in a while" to aggressively trying to break the game, I consider this to be something that gets 1-2 gentle warning(s) to not discuss possible moderation, then a forced replacement or modkill as the player is openly not following the social contract.
  • mod question in thread - I prefer that questions be asked privately, but I will occasionally provide public answers depending on the question. The more casual/social the playgroup, the more likely that grey cases, in which the answers might be more game-specific, may be answered in the thread. Unless I'm very explicit about moderating for this (i.e. in one of the 1-2 game(s) I've run with strict moderation), or a player is using a mod question in a way that damages the game, I do not moderate for this.
In general, as mentioned, I'm explicit about what rules players should follow. I step in with the occasional warning when I feel that a player is risking the sanctity of the game. I step in with replacements and modkills if and only if:
  • A player is egregiously breaking the contract of the game. (E.g. posting only 1 content post in 48 hours, throwing around racial/sexist/LGBTQphobic/ableist/etc. slurs, posting their role PM in the thread, using another player's IRL circumstances against them, discussing their role PM in a public chat outside the game, using their own IRL circumstances to defend/argue their point, etc...)
  • A player has been warned multiple times for a more minor breach of the social contract. (E.g. without prior arrangement repeatedly posting 2 posts per 48 hours when 3 are required, repeatedly bringing up topics which are considered to be off-limits, etc...)
In general, the more a player communicates with me in any concerning situation, the more lenient I am likely to be. The vast majority of replacements I've made have come from players posting little to no content multiple times without communicating to me that they were not able to post, even afterwards. The handful of modkills I have made have mostly come from players who have repeatedly been offensively aggressive towards others or repeatedly strayed into OGI/Angleshooting, usually in the vein of copy-pasting or abusing private communications (e.g. a player who, to clear themself, faked that the host made a mistake with their role PM after they had already been told not to do so).

My rough baseline of rules for long phase games are as follows:
1. Activity - Players are expected to post 3 content posts per 48 hours and at least 1 content post in the final 24 hours of the Day phase or communicate to me (ideally in private, and ideally beforehand) that they cannot do so. They need not give a reason; if they tell me that they cannot make posts in a certain time period, I consider that to be sufficient. If it's a long enough time period, I will discuss with that player a possible compromise number of posts or potential for replacement. Not communicating until after the fact is handled on a case by case basis, but I am more than understanding that people are human and situations come up. If a player makes 0-1 content posts over 48 hours without communicating to me that they won't be able to post, I am likely to consider them to have abandoned the game thread and therefore seek replacement.

2. OGI/Angleshooting - Players will usually receive one friendly warning for OGI/Angleshooting. If it's more mild and/or clearly unknowing/unintentional, they may receive an additional warning before further moderation is considered. If it's more egregious, or they've already been warned, they will be considered for replacement or modkill. Intentional OGI/Angleshooting is cheating and will be quashed with great prejudice.

2b. No Funny Business - No editing or deleting posts without explicit host permission. No cryptography, trust tells, or the like. If you're not sure if a post is okay, ask the host privately.

3. Toxicity - Bigotry and personal attacks do not belong in the game. Similarly to OGI/Angleshooting, if it's more mild and/or clearly unknowing/unintentional, they may receive an additional warning before further moderation is considered. If it's more egregious, or they've already been warned, they will be considered for replacement or modkill. Intentional toxicity is disgusting and will be quashed with great prejudice. Bigotry and direct attacks will usually be handled much more harshly than if a situation just escalates into a nasty argument. Again, we're all human. It happens.

4. Subbing Out - If a player no longer wishes to play, for any reason, I ask only that they please message me privately, rather than trying to get themself removed from the game via any other means. I have always honored such a request and never require reasons. No matter what the reason is for the request, I expect players to stop posting in game threads and chats once they have requested to be removed from the game. Requesting removal is saying "I no longer wish to participate." Participating at that point is trying to eat your cake and own it whole too. It's disrespectful to everyone involved.
Last edited by osieorb18 on Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

TL;DR - 3 posts per 48 hours, keep the in-game and out-of-game separate, don't be a jerk, and communicate to me if you cannot play or do not desire to play.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Personally, I think this is a reasonable set of rules for most games. Sometimes I have additional rules depending on specific games.

Common additional rules:
  • No self-voting - This falls under game-throwing via trying to remove yourself from the game.
  • Post Maximum - To avoid culture clashes, I will sometimes include a maximum number of posts that a player can make per 24 hours. If a player goes over this, they usually get a warning, sometimes followed by a temporary in-game punishment such as being roleblocked or temporarily becoming vanilla, then followed by a modkill or forced replacement.
  • Voting - In order to make collection of votes easier, I may decide that votes that are not formatted within a certain simple set of requirements (on their own line, bold, possibly tagging the host or worded in a certain manner) will not be counted. If a vote is not counted, that player can always revote using the correct formatting.
  • Resolving MyLO - Factional Nightkills are not mandatory. Eliminations are not mandatory. If Town choose for no elimination to occur twice and Non-Town choose for no kill to occur in between those two no-eliminations, a random Town player will be eliminated during that second Day phase instead of no elimination occurring. In most cases, this means that whether or not an elimination occurs, if it becomes MyLO and then another day phase occurs, that following Day phase is not still MyLO, or at least not with the same number of players.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

All that said, if I'm the cohost, I leave all of those decisions to the host.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

SoOT Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I wonder how long it will take for the game to get a bit chaotic...
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

SOT
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Wisp scummy.
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Songs of our Time
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Wow, it is strange being on the other side, I carefully avoided clicking on any of the spoilers above before realising I don't have to do that.
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Song of our Time
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I wouldn't exactly call the Beatles "of our time", but that's what I got. The actual mechanics are a neighborizer with interesting side effects.
Tactics with the power are going to be a struggle as there's a random element of death involved, and I don't want to inflict that on two townies.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

SOT @osie
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
let me know if you end up needing a replacement btw
Seven (she, him, their)
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

SoOT
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
maybe both, but that'd wouldn't be very kawaii though
I see no difference between writing incorrect/premature evaluations, that don't have any real thought behind them, and writing no conclusions at all.
I love you, Wisp.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Seven wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:15 pm SOT @osie
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
let me know if you end up needing a replacement btw
SOT @Seven
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Will do. Possibly in about 36 hours.
madge

Post by madge »

SoOT
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I'm just fully committing to the fact I don't do reads. Let's hope nobody minds, lol.

So I rolled mafia for the first time in like 5 years. Which makes not doing reads better, but also will make people assume that i'm scummy for the next 5 years for not doing reads.

my role is perfectly usable for a townie so I'll just use it as if I'm a townie.
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
madge

Post by madge »

Also I asked my nail salon for the tackiest christmas nails they could do in the time available for my appointment. let's just say that anyone who said my last set was incredible is going to eat their words because these are my favourite ones I've ever had:

https://i.imgur.com/mXlRN1p.png
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

Song of our time
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Haven't been following this very closely, but is Madge voting on D1????

Oh, I see above that Madge is mafia. Noted.
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

madge wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:19 pm Also I asked my nail salon for the tackiest christmas nails they could do in the time available for my appointment. let's just say that anyone who said my last set was incredible is going to eat their words because these are my favourite ones I've ever had:

https://i.imgur.com/mXlRN1p.png
Holly jolly indeed. :D
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Based on her avatar, I want WakeMeUp in a game with BoomFrog. :lol:

edited due to her post in the SoOT game.
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

SoOT
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
First off, immediate flips seem very useful to town power roles so cops can better guess who to target and such. It also makes this question available sooner: how the hell did town catch scum!Sabrar D1? Was a lot of the other boards players who were going after him, but then so were bessie and wam so they must have learned something at the other places.

Going to do a full read through of D1 to generate reads to add data to for the start of D2, as the ones I did earlier are hopelessly stale. The activity level is not quite as bad as the Crossover mafia game, that one had 23 pages after D1, and these are shorter pages than on the old site. Fortunately wasn't a threat to Sabrartine this time, so I get to see another day (pretty sure I'm not going to be the NK). Somehow I feel a lot of my day was wasted in the endless war with Wisp.
Wam

Post by Wam »

Soot
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
so havent posted yet. I'm town, and we got very lucky there! Sorry sabrar!
madge

Post by madge »

SoOT
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
So, I've got an investigative role, yay!~

And I'm mafia, which is much less of a yay. Like, mafia is much less frustrating than town because I have some idea of what's going on, but I haven't played in like 2 years and I wanted to set up a new meta and now everyone is going to say my new meta is what I did as mafia.

But yeah, my strategy will involve sheeping the most trustworthy looking players D1, and sheeping dead townies D2 onwards, with power analysis and rolespec being an important part of the recipe.

I won't do reads, my +/- list was a compromise so I'd have content on d1 and i don't intend to do it d2

ALSO BESSIE HAS ME AS HER STRONGEST TOWNREAD??? Bessie is that just because i kissed your furry butt??

dw I will be kissing your furry butt in future games let me assure you. twasn't a scum thing

also what the heck how did Sabrar get voted off in 4 hours. fark.

SuperJedi224

Post by SuperJedi224 »

SOOT
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Apparently I made a mistake in describing how my role works during my claim in the previous day phase so that'll be fun - the "season" changes every second elimination, not every second day phase
bessie

Post by bessie »

Songs of Our Times
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Oops, that was unexpected. I wasn’t trying to swing the elimination; SuperJedi had been browsing the forum and logged off so when I left for work and I wasn’t going to defend someone that didn’t seem that interested in playing. So I wanted to leave a vote to signal my intent for Day 2. I almost went for MathBlade but I don’t know him so I don’t know if this is how he plays as town. I do know Sabrar, and I know this is not how he plays as town. I’m sorry Sabrar but I knew it was you. It wasn’t so much what you said which is why I wasn’t able to attack you I could only snark at you. It was what you didn’t say, and your omissions were what I suspected.

So is it MathBlade, and am I dead tonight? I’ll be totally disappointed if I get night killed and robbed of my opportunity to gloat at Zen in thread. 8-)
madge

Post by madge »

Songs
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Okay so I have a result that bessie and wisp are coalinged which means they're both town barring weirdness.

this means i can trust one or both of their reads.

Bessie has an investigative power so she'll have some info that I can trust.

If Wisp lives , wisp isn't investigative, so I can't trust them as much because they won't have access to the sort of info Bessie has access to.

town!Madge trusts bessie unquestioningly but knows she can be wrong. she will refuse to vote for bessie under any circumstances.
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

Songs
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Wow, two scum hits in a row. Nice work Town. Will be interesting to see if they can dig Madge out of the towncore. Does no one remember how she plays?

pedit: Oh, nevermind, that was the modkill that flipped. Did the dayvig end the day? Or was it no elim?
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

SooT
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
What the heck, I've fallen asleep and slept through both deadlines! And both times I meant to switch to the worst near the end for my ability.

What's with this deadline time anyway?
Seven (she, him, their)