Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
osieorb18

Re: Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

Post by osieorb18 »

boomfrog wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:18 pm
osieorb18 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:11 pm
boomfrog wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:18 pm
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I really want to know what Osie's "oof" at EoD1 meant...
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Pre-flip association in the way you did can be used to set up a dichotomy.
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I feel like you are implying more with "A dichotomy" then I'm understanding. Do you mean it's potential that I as scum would use it to pin up two townies for D2? Or that scum would kill me and use it and I'm basically giving scum too much info on how to manipulate the consensus?
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
When Moody flips town, then scum does what I at least did to some degree and uses your "If moody flips town" bit to go after bessie. If you're still alive and are scum, you can just lean back on it and try to direct people with it.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

You guys done have to use spoilers anymore
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Seven wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:34 pm You guys done have to use spoilers anymore
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
True.
;)
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

boomfrog wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:33 am Secret Santa
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
So it has to be Osie. The meh D2 any how his analysis didn't make sense but he's voting that way anyway was terribly scummy. Also not being present in thread to help WMU means he didn't care at all about the elimination.

There were a lot of signs D1 but I chalked them up to Osie being blinded frustration with Bessie. The frustration was real but what he did with it was a huge waste of time if he was town.

I need to not let people get victory through volume. Also I need to apply the baseline scummyness adjustment. Osie felt like "maybe scum" D1 and according to him is supposed to be an amazing townie so "maybe scum" should have put him low on the list.

Oh well.
I think I was actually busy IRL at EoD2 iirc. Not confident on that one. Probably had half an eye on things just in case.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

bessie wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:26 pm Secret Santa
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Who the hell makes a no spoiler reading role???? :evil:
Oh that was me, inadvertently.
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Post by The Snide Sniper »

Seven wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:21 pm @Snide that's a neat role! I think I'm going to steal it in future games
If you want to reuse the catgirl, here's what I'd recommend:
  • Have one catgirl in the mafia and another in the town, so that the "catgirl" result isn't alignment-indicative
  • Give the town catgirl an ability beyond the ninja-godfather-self-watcher so that they can be detected by a watcher
  • Make the mafia catgirl unable to do the faction kill every night unless they're the last mafia left so that it's not too overpowered
  • Give the town and mafia catgirls different names (like maybe a catgirl and a catboy) so that the town can tell them apart
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
madge

Post by madge »

moody7277 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:36 pm Secret Santa
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
So I know I'm not supposed to know who submitted the role I got, but in this case it is really obvious. Cut-and-dried, I give someone the ability to use their power more than once the night after I target them. There might be some side effect during the day after as indicated by the PM flavor, but I'm not sure exactly what that could be yet.

Town.

What my intense need to add xmas australiana is that transparent???
boomfrog wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:52 am Secret Santa
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I have never in all my games of Mafia seen someone actually follow the dead conf town's reads. Including when I literally posted, "I'll be conf town tomorrow, and I'm good at this game, and I'm sure of this read".
it's something i'm trying, because i hate doing my own reads and i think it will have interesting effects on who scum kill, knowing that they can control my vote by killing someone with a bad read - but also means leaving living players alive.

mostly i just want to be lazy. i'm getting some good influence in mafia theory / playing / skill / etc so i might try and be good later on.
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
madge

Post by madge »

speaking of mafia, do people have an idea for a new game???

i am SO KEEN to do the PIZZAZZ MAFIA that was promised when cult won halloween (i will make all the rolese FUN, and there will be NO OVERSIGHT, so it will probably be unbalanced and for that i don't apologise at all because PIZZAZZ), but i also think that the concept of pizzazz should not follow a secret santa

so yeah basically can someone please run another game as buffer / can people tell me under no circumstances do they want a pizzazz mafia game
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

The Snide Sniper wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:44 am
  • Make the mafia catgirl unable to do the faction kill every night unless they're the last mafia left so that it's not too overpowered
Personally I'd avoid this one. Too heavy handed. A ninja godfather like that usually is likely to do the kill anyways.
madge wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:09 amit's something i'm trying, because i hate doing my own reads and i think it will have interesting effects on who scum kill, knowing that they can control my vote by killing someone with a bad read - but also means leaving living players alive.

mostly i just want to be lazy. i'm getting some good influence in mafia theory / playing / skill / etc so i might try and be good later on.
I like looking for L0 stuff like numbers of mentions made of each other player by flipped scum or finding new reasonings to scum or town read people. Always fun to find new ways to solve the puzzle.
madge wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:11 am speaking of mafia, do people have an idea for a new game???

i am SO KEEN to do the PIZZAZZ MAFIA that was promised when cult won halloween (i will make all the rolese FUN, and there will be NO OVERSIGHT, so it will probably be unbalanced and for that i don't apologise at all because PIZZAZZ), but i also think that the concept of pizzazz should not follow a secret santa

so yeah basically can someone please run another game as buffer / can people tell me under no circumstances do they want a pizzazz mafia game
I have a handful of micros that could be hosted either by myself or someone else and can always quickly whip up another one.
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

Seven wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:21 pm @Snide that's a neat role! I think I'm going to steal it in future games
  • Have one catgirl in the mafia and another in the town, so that the "catgirl" result isn't alignment-indicative
  • Give the town catgirl an ability beyond the ninja-godfather-self-watcher so that they can be detected by a watcher
  • Give the town and mafia catgirls different names (like maybe a catgirl and a catboy) so that the town can tell them apart
Catgirl isn't really alignment indicative unless you watch them kill the culprit. Even then catgirl doesn't give a watcher any information and hopefully scum isn't dumb enough to admit they're catgirl
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

heuristically_alone wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:42 am
Catgirl isn't really alignment indicative unless you watch them kill the culprit. Even then catgirl doesn't give a watcher any information and hopefully scum isn't dumb enough to admit they're catgirl
It is interesting how it is weak to tracker.
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Post by The Snide Sniper »

A "catgirl" result from a cop could be alignment indicative because it doesn't really do much for the town. What I intended to happen was that a cop would tell the town who the catgirl was, and then a watcher would tell the town that the catgirl is scum. If the catgirl is always scum then it circumvents the need for a "catgirl is scum" result.
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

The Snide Sniper wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:20 am

A "catgirl" result from a cop could be alignment indicative because it doesn't really do much for the town. What I intended to happen was that a cop would tell the town who the catgirl was, and then a watcher would tell the town that the catgirl is scum. If the catgirl is always scum then it circumvents the need for a "catgirl is scum" result.
The thing is that if someone gets that role as town the correct move is to claim it immediately.
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

The answer is obviously secret catgirls.
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

Btw, my answer to heury's question was: a cat who is a dog person. So WMU and I are a yin/yang pair.
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

The Snide Sniper wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:20 am A "catgirl" result from a cop could be alignment indicative because it doesn't really do much for the town. What I intended to happen was that a cop would tell the town who the catgirl was, and then a watcher would tell the town that the catgirl is scum. If the catgirl is always scum then it circumvents the need for a "catgirl is scum" result.
Having a role requiring a double confirm in practice probably just makes it that the role is unconfirmable. It's just not all that likely that cop and watcher both happen to target the correct person, and none of the players involved end up dying before a result a revealed. Unless you're somehow planning on building an entire setup around catpersons or something, it may not end up being all that different from just having a player who is just ascetic and can't be detected by cops/watchers.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

boomfrog wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:31 am The answer is obviously secret catgirls.
This seems not SO far off from "red herrings", an idea I had floated for how to handle miller/godfather frustrations while still nerfing alignment cops (a role which is generally considered to be too strong on its own):

Rather than tell anybody that they are miller/godfather, you tell the cop role that they have "X red herrings" and don't let them know who those players are. They can be randomized or be based on the setup.

For example, in a 12 player game, the cop might have 2-3 red herrings.

This could be taken a step further by having ways to show it in the flip, potentially ways that other roles manipulate, but that can lead to further frustration.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

If the player has a good enough ability outside of being a cargirl, I think that would be incentive enough not to claim right away. I think I like the idea most as an Indy though, with their goal to achieve a certain objective without being identified.
Seven (she, him, their)
madge

Post by madge »

CARGIRL
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Omg I knew something was off when I posted that
Seven (she, him, their)
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

madge wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:11 am so yeah basically can someone please run another game as buffer / can people tell me under no circumstances do they want a pizzazz mafia game
I've been mulling running some sort of fairly low powered, newbie friendly type setup if people are interested in something of that nature.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

There's one I want to do after the next one.
Seven (she, him, their)
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

madge wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:11 am speaking of mafia, do people have an idea for a new game???

What is the concept actually?
madge

Post by madge »

the concept would be "role madness that i think is fun, but in reality won't be".

i am keen to play in whatever people want to do, though!
Wam

Post by Wam »

I'm up for any game!