Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
bessie

Re: Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

Post by bessie »

LaserGuy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:51 pm
madge wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:11 am so yeah basically can someone please run another game as buffer / can people tell me under no circumstances do they want a pizzazz mafia game
I've been mulling running some sort of fairly low powered, newbie friendly type setup if people are interested in something of that nature.
I like this idea. I think its about time we had a real newbie game because we haven't had one yet. I could also mentor instead of play if there's some new players interested in having mentors.
madge

Post by madge »

Laserguy has made the thread, in case people didn't notice because it wasn't linked here: viewtopic.php?p=18506
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
jimbobmacdoodle

Post by jimbobmacdoodle »

I've put myself down as a mentor. Not sure if I have the time these days to play fully, but could do so if needed. If I do end up playing, don't expect my usual activity levels or coherent thought processes!
jimbobmacdoodle

For those of you who enjoy live Mafia, I saw this Kickstarter campaign and thought you might be interested too: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/el ... and-wombat.
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

Hehe, yeah, I love "real time" board games and I of course love traitor games. But sadly I don't think I've got anyone to play this with live...
madge

Post by madge »

I already backed it, and my state's borders are officially open for the first time in 2 years, so when it ships let's all come to my house and play :)
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

In terms of IRL mafia, I'm waiting on Blood on the Clocktower to ship to me; should be some time soon.
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

Animal Kingdom
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I am a crocodile. I'll keep it a surprise for now for viewers as to my power role. I'm thinking Sabrar is town and he may he softing what animal he is, announcing the King's death. Maybe a Tucan like Zazu. Don't think as Mafia Sabrar would be keen on softing his animal. Sabrar does like to write his posts before reading his role though.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I'm a house cat. I always wanted to be a cat in my parents' house, so I'm down. It's a good excuse to not do too much ;)
I'm also a town and a compulsive fruit vendor. I'm sure there's some cool strategy I could do to make the most of it, but I'm too sleepy to figure that out right now.
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
heuristically_alone

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Messie has to be Mafia right? Their vote on me doesn't make enough sense. No way did only town hop on that wagon. Did not expect to be the first elim. Too bad I didn't claim.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
Mark_Cangila

Post by Mark_Cangila »

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Well that's interesting. I didn't expect Heury to flip town, but I was never as sure abt him. BF is probably the weirdest variable here, the push on Eido feels so arbitrary and unnecessary to me. I see basically 2 possibilities: 1. He was worried messie would die, so he tried to push on Eido, thus a messie-BF scumteam (assuming 2 scum, which I buy messie's logic). Or 2. He's just town and didn't buy the Heury wagon.
Sabrar

Post by Sabrar »

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Good thing I don't do rereads N1 anymore.
Wam

Post by Wam »

Animal mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
sorry sabrar. I havent put a spoiler up yet but I rolled scum again this time with boom.

Hopefully bus hard day 2 and ride that to end game.
heuristically_alone

Animal Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I'm not going to read spoilers and see if I can still solve the game.

I don't like this post from somi.
I'm not sure if we can draw far-reaching conclusions from the kill, Sabrar is a strong town player so he's often the first choice of mafia (and Heury's death means they're less likely to be impeded or intercepted). Of course he's more of a target if he's right, but this might be a diversion.
May be scummiest post of the game, not asking us to think too hard about the kill choice.

If wam was scum, I don't see them targeting anyone other than Sabrar. Don't think they could pass on the opportunity of "carrying their torch." Granted for a non wam scum team that's another good reason for Sabrar to be the target.
----
he/him/they
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Sorry Sabrar. I wanted to play longer with you but I screwed things up. You were 100% right about me flipping from Heury to Messie as more townie too easily and probably right about me town reading you too easily.

The initial provocation of you to test other players reactions was my actual townie plan before the game started. But I feel like my execution was little off. I used to be able to perfectly simulate my own towny thoughts but the last three games of scum I've gotten TMI thinking about scum strategy.

Well played. See you next time.
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
The awesome strategy I came up with was to pick at random, but random.org picked Sabrar. I immediately scrapped the strategy, because Sabrar's gonna get killed. So now I get to feel all smug and smart a little bit, just not publicly.
My actual target ended up being messie based on a gut feel.
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
All according to plan.

My worry right now is if wam will be the rebound wagon.
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Messie didn't mention or even hint about receiving something in the night (and neither did anyone else). I'm not sure what that means yet, but I'd like to tease her about it without being too obvious. I've never been good at subtle clues though. Gosh, I wish I had a mentor right now :lol:
As I'm typing up my game post I realised Mark hasn't joined the D2 conversation yet and so hasn't weighed in on BoomFrog, but I'm not gonna draw attention to that before he posts.
heuristically_alone

Animal Kingdom
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I think Makhaira is reading too much into Philip's RVs vote on me. I'm fairly certain scum is someone where within Makhaira, boom, messie and somi. If Somi flips scum, I'd venture messie as the most scum partner.
----
he/him/they
jimbobmacdoodle

Animal Kingdom:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
The heury elim was terrible, and if I were playing, I'd be taking a long hard look at those who pushed it. Heury was one of my townier gut reads. Others in the "pretty good" camp are Mark and wam. I don't get how phillip is being mentored if he is posting that sort of content. It's almost jester levels of weirdness (but I doubt we have a jester in a closed-but-newbie-friendly setup). BoomFrog doesn't read as townie as I'd usually read him. Not sure if that's just bleed-through from others finding him scummy or a sign that he genuinely is scum. messie doesn't seem unreasonable to me - I'm not sure I get the stick she's been getting (I'm not saying she isn't scum, but I can't tell from a pure gut basis). I don't know the Eido and Makhaira well enough to be able to form a decent gut read on them. somitomi hasn't done enough of note to be able to form a decent read of him, but I do recall that being the case before and him turning up Town.

Summary:
Probably town: wam, Mark, somitomi?
Don't have a clue: phillip, Makhaira, Eido, messie
Maybe slightly scummy: BoomFrog

My suspicion is that if phillip is scum, Town will be able to spot him by finding his buddy first.

If I were playing, I'd be doing some D1 vote analysis, I think.
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Ugh, I know I'm playing terribly but I can't find the spare energy to not play terribly and I can't even blame it on work stuff.
Sabrar

Post by Sabrar »

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
boomfrog wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:40 pmSorry Sabrar. I wanted to play longer with you but I screwed things up. You were 100% right about me flipping from Heury to Messie as more townie too easily and probably right about me town reading you too easily.

The initial provocation of you to test other players reactions was my actual townie plan before the game started. But I feel like my execution was little off. I used to be able to perfectly simulate my own towny thoughts but the last three games of scum I've gotten TMI thinking about scum strategy.

Well played. See you next time.
Much appreciated. I think the main flow in your gambit was that you only focused on me during the early game. I really feel town!boom would have at least done something to try and sort the others as well.
heuristically_alone

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I was a little worried towards the end that boomfrog wouldn't be the vote. Glad they stuck it through. I can see both messie and somi as scum partners with boom. Almost makes me think there are 3 scum, which would certainly be interesting with messie teasing there only being two :lol: . Either of them look scummy enough on their own in their own right. I'd probably vote somi next then messie the following day.
----
he/him/they
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

Animal Kingdom Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I overplayed this so badly. Heury's elemination D1 was a gift on a silver platter to scum. Wam and I could have coasted through to D3 easily. But nooooooo... I had to be fancy.

That is the first time the defense "I'm playing so stupidly scum would never do this!" has failed.

The problem with playing 4D chess is that sometimes you put yourself in checkmate.
Mark_Cangila

Post by Mark_Cangila »

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Wow it's ACTUALLY a Wam+Boom scumteam. I didn't expect that. I swear to god if they don't figure it out though.