Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
heuristically_alone

Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

Post by heuristically_alone »

This thread is dedicated for those who want to make their mafia play more interesting for spectators. Make sure you label your post with the name of the Mafia game you are playing and use the preview button to ensure you post is properly contained in spoilers before posting. Do not open any spoiler labeled with a game you are currently playing.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
heuristically_alone

Re: Gojoe Memorial Mafia Thread

Halloween Mafia 2021
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

It was a bit obvious to dress as a phoenix when you live in Phoenix, but you can’t deny your attraction to long flowy red and orange clothing. Plus, you look awesome.

Not to mention as the coordinator of the local LGBTQ+ centre, you have an affinity for all things flaming.

The only thing that would make Halloween better is if Sabrar and Madge got back together so you could strut your stuff at the coolest party in town, rather than having to settle for something else.

You are a Phoenix.

Win condition: You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.

Abilities:
  • Passive: If you die, you will be resurrected once at noon the following Day. When you are resurrected, you will gain a one-shot permakill, from which the victim cannot be resurrected.
  • Self-Immolation: If you are not killed earlier, you may self-immolate at noon on Day 3 and resurrect at noon on Day 4 (you may request this action at any time during the game before noon is declared on Day 3). You cannot self-immolate at any other time. If you choose not to self-immolate, you will still be capable of resurrecting if killed by other means.
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
My first thought was to mention that all players likely have passive abilities (thus claiming a passive ability), but decided against it. I want to make sure I'm not too town read so I have an option to use my self immolation ability. Am I the only one that can die that wasn't killed with malicious intent? Any town that uses an ability that kills a player should immediately claim it.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

Yay, Gojoe!

Hallowe'en 2021

Spoiler (Show/Hide)
This is a very interesting setup. I'm not sure how exactly it is going to balance out with having a cult, survivor thing, possibly mafia, oh, and resurrections. And maybe something else besides, who knows? All of the games I've been playing recently have been very low-powered, so this is going to be a bit of a culture shock. Have to remember to expect anything and not get frustrated by the setup if some mechanic is kind of screwy.

Spoiler tags in this forum are kind of ugly.
madge

Post by madge »

Halloween 2021

(all may read)
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Guys I am so happy I can't believe it. Seeing people posting in a forum playing mafia is - it's been two years and I had no idea how much I missed it! Thanks guys. I am glad you are enjoying the flavour!

Thank you SO MUCH for playing and I hope you all have fun!

The parent trap concept is pretty accurate: Sabrar will make sure you have fun in this game, I will make sure there is PIZZAZZ.

Please let me know via PM if you have any requests for facebook posts you want to make, in the spirit of community facebook groups, otherwise I will choose community facebook post stuff at random.
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

Hallowe'en
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
heuristically_alone

Halloween 2021
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
My new work schedule will permit me to post a lot during the front half of the week. The fact that wam has already called out the fact that I'm more active than my normal meta and town read me for it makes me pretty sure wam is town. Any game laserguy has pressured me he has been town. Snide sniper reminds me of a couple players I've played with who had played a bunch of town of Salem and was participating in their first forum game. I read snipe as sincerely trying to understand people's reads. A lot of people on xkcd seem to like to make early reads just to see how people react. Undecided on Boomfrog for now. Willing to vote Somi.
----
he/him/they
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

Just because people in the Hallowe'en thread appear to be unaware and she doesn't have it in her sig, patzer goes by she/her.
Diana, madge's ratwife, any pronouns

I'm watching the first episode of all different cartoons!

---

Ya like my gate?
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Halloween 2021
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Well, thrown into the deep end my first game back as scum...with wam. So far contradicting my usual meta okay, some of the newbs are unwittingly helping me out with that. Just remember that the only reason I'm going after you hard is that I'm the bad guy and you're low hanging fruit.
Well, aside from whatever heury is doing to make himself look scummy. Having a role where even if town or mafia play a perfect game and still lose if they are still alive is a twist that could provide for interesting bedfellows as was pointed out early on. I guess I will grudgingly get on the heury bandwagon when we get to day end minus a day or so. Day ends are at about 4am in my time zone which is going to make for difficulty in vote shenanigans.
jimbobmacdoodle

Post by jimbobmacdoodle »

Halloween 2021
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
So, I don't have any particular evidence of Snide Sniper being scum, certainly not that drove my original vote. That was purely a pressure vote to see how the new player would react and also to see which players might either join the bandwagon or try to distance themselves etc in some way. Interesting that since then several other people have started reading him scummy...

Oh, I'm an Even Night Watcher and Odd Night Tracker for Town, and am Phil Connors, inspired by Groundhog Day somehow (enjoying the flavour, just not summarising it here!).
madge

Post by madge »

Halloween 2021 (all may read)
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:21 pm @Madge, that latest Facebook post is funny
DOES THAT MEAN MY OTHER FACEBOOK POSTS HAVEN'T BEEN FUNNY????

Snide Sniper suggested it, but I found the picture, so credit to whoever you wish.
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

Halloween
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I'm a cult cop (town), so I hope I survive long enough to be useful. Really hope I don't get recruited, although we could surely have some fun with that late game :twisted:

Also @The Snide Sniper (in your role as forum guru), can we get a more obvious spoiler style?
Pronouns: he/him/his
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept. 1982
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

Not game related, anyone may read, but it's not very interesting:
Set specific spoiler title
This text is in the spoiler tags.
madge

Post by madge »

Halloween 2021

⚠️
SPOILER
So I've written a bunch of community facebook posts and assigned them more or less randomly to people (sorry if you get one you don't think vibes with you!), it was really challenging until I came across the secret: look at a reddit page of people complaining about repetitive topics in community FB groups and then... search my own FB group for those same topics.

People are going to think I'm a GENIUS for coming up with somethinig so realistic, when really I just used my local group

It also means that a lot of photos will look SUSPICIOUSLY australian

Also one is an injoke between me and my "new squeeze" (cynical mafia boyfriend is no more!~)
⚠️

(also you cannot put emoji as the custom text for the spoiler tag, :cry: , but I put it either side and it seems to work OK?)
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Halloween 2021
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
lol @ the Facebook posts
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Halloween 2021
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Notes
Page 1:
-Snider seems innocent, use of 'we'
-Heury townie. More inquisitive than his scum game

Page 2:
-bessie is bessieish
-somi and heury aren't scummates. somi probably town.
-I like Laser's # ...hm are there no post numbers?
-I think the helicopter notes comedy is probably town indicative. (possibly bessie + heury scumates)
-Nevermind, I think Heury is town here: viewtopic.php?p=6975#p6975, so bessie's prior post is slightly scummy. This line in particular is suspicious to me: "And...why would a player need to attempt to appear townie? I find your mindset interesting."
-I like this from wam: "Huery is interesting more involved that I normally remember but I think that's a town indication for them on meta."
-Haha more facebook posts, this is so good.

Page 3:
-Jimbob is alright
-Laser looks good, especially with the gigantic yoshi avatar
-Moody seems natural

Page 4:
-Liking Wam
-Suzaku fine
-Boom fine
-Who does that leave? Patzer? I think Wam has a point about Snide's read list.
-Surprised that Laser doesn't have a stronger read of bessie. And also that he isn't scumreading her. I'm not sure why he has Patzer so low either. Or wam for that matter. Although I guess he probably didn't read the MC game. Actually, why is he town reading boom too? I'm not sure I'm with the reasoning.
-Yeah I think I'm going to put Snide as a scum lean based on wam's point.
-Patzer seems fine to me. Laser's read seems a bit forced, but also could just be Captain-Ahab-Laser.
-This post from bessie is really townie, especially the setup spec: viewtopic.php?p=7296#p7296

Page 5:
-Agree with the point on moody by Boom here: viewtopic.php?p=7334#p7334
-Agree with patzer point by Boom here: viewtopic.php?p=7363#p7363
-Patzer's read of laser is weird
-Bessies posts trending up

Ok tentative read list:

Keep alive
Boom - playing the most townie so far to me, but too good of a player to say for sure this early. Also with the multiple factions, even scum is able to scum hunt this game so can't really take town tells to heart
Laser - some of his reads are odd to me so that must mean he's town
Jim - putting himself out there, gung-ho
Wam - Seems like WWZ Wam. Pretty early though
Sniper - Could see this going either way, but I think reading him at face value is the way to go.

Need more info
bessie - depends on woof/gur list
Heury - TMI read early on and backtracking. Is the same sort of events that happened in the MC game (WWZ). I think he's playing more loose here though. And it seems more like he's trying to find scum. But man so many similar things to WWZ.
Somi - not sure about this read at all actually (initially had him just below jim but am moving him down). I don't think heury and somi are aligned though.
Suzaku - his posts so far seem to me like they could come from either alignment

Elim
Moody - his response to patzer here is probably scum talking to scum: viewtopic.php?p=7163#p7163
Patzer - agree with the point boom brought up

@Madge the flavor is on point. Let me know if you need a replacement
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
madge

Post by madge »

Thank you Seven for the compliment about my flavour! I am glad people are enjoying it. I am having SO MUCH fun.
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

Wait ... did we just get a hammer-vote elimination on D1 of an XKCD forum mafia game?!
I cannot remember that ever happening before.

And as I was writing a lunch-time catchup post too.
madge

Post by madge »

You were obviously too busy sending flowers to Sabrar to get the post in under the wire :)
madge

Post by madge »

Halloween 21
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
I suspect that people are more eager to hammer due to the promise of resurrections; yeeting Heuri D1 is probably for the best as tomorrow town will have action results to go over and Heuri will res tomorrow anyway due to the passive ability.
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

Halloween 2021
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
So, who do I check with my cult cop? Not sure at all.
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Halloween 2021
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Patzer is going to get sooooooo much flak that unknowing hammer. The obvious scum thing to do start of D2 would be to pounce on it hard seeing as she was already the alternative elimination for D1. I am therefore going to not do that and maybe instead go with "You know patzer, in the future you might want to make sure you don't accidentally hammer (I know it was an accident cause you're new). People tend to think that looks scummy." Yes, very helpful is Smeagol *gollum gollum*.
heuristically_alone

Halloween 2021
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
First dead, so probably first to resurrect right? Had an unfortunate kind sucky week they took me offline but everything back to normal. I want to read wam as town, but really starting to don't my initial read. That quick turnaround me was not what I was expecting from that slot. Fairly certain Bessie is town. Can't quite decide about Boomfrog and Somi. Laserguy has an ability linked to their vote. Voting I typically correlate to townie, so probably some town ability. Need to read through and see who all crumbed a claim. I soft claimed my role as Phoenix. If I come back my role is useless, so id rather me be the nightkill then someone else.
----
he/him/they
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Halloween Mafia
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Ok wow, someone hammered accidentally while I was asleep and there's no flip. Well, tomorrow's gonna be fun.
For the benefit of spectators: I'm a town resurrector with two shots.
I don't think I'll use that power now though, since my guess is that Heury isn't town and we have no confirmed alignment :x
Oh and Madge, I just love the flavor FB posts, they're brilliant.
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
Wam

Post by Wam »

Halloween
:!:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
So I didnt want to say anything early but I have finally rolled scum again. I think the first time since stellaris! Think I managed to be slightly less scim read than normal day 1 which is good. Am worried about the jimbob LG boom town block as well as the cult out there.

Also if my partner dies I have a recruit kill which is awesome.
:!:
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

Halloween Mafia 2021
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
50/50 Heauy is actually scum, but that's decent odds for D1. @Heauy I hope you didn't have a bad first game back. You are always fun to play a game with.

LaserGuy, Somitomi and Suzaku feel like real town. But this game is going to be so hard to scum hunt in since all the scum can also scumhunt.

Also, looking forward to being in the cult D2. Who wouldn't want BoomFrog in the cult with them? :mrgreen: