Halloween Mafia 2021 - The Party Trap - Day 7

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
Wam

Re: Halloween Mafia 2021 - The Party Trap

Post by Wam »

heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:54 pm Yeah snide sniper is not gonna be my vote today.
Why?
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

bessie: a few responses and questions, dubious of heury with some research on his meta. Town lean (+3)

boomfrog: no gambit this game, quasi-RV somi, newbie help, declares heury scum. Town lean (+2.5)

heury: answers Snide about jimbob, votes BF, dismisses Laserguy's question on him intervening re Snide's question to BF, then claims LG doing it makes LG look town, implies he thinks jimbob is town without an actual read, dubious of BF, question to somi, cagey about why. Slightly scummy (-2)

jimbob: setup discussion, RV bessie, answers LG on his ordering of factions, some questions, pressure vote on Snide. town lean (+3)

LaserGuy: asks jimbob about order of factions, reads on me and BF, dubious of heury with some pressure. town (+3.5)

patzer: new guy, RV Suzaku, insufficent info (0)

somitomi: RV me, question's heury on contradictory read, asks about jinbob's read on Snide. town lean (+1.5)

Snide Sniper: seems a bit befuddled, maybe due to different media for mafia than he's used to, nonplussed by jimbob's vote for him. insufficient data (0)

wam: RV sabrar, says LG's reads are a bit early, claims mod vote was a gambit and praises BF for noticing, thinks heury looks townie for volume of content, asks about heury putting Snide on the non-vote list. neutral (-0.5)
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:17 am I actually read snide sniper as town based on his response to Boomfrog.
You mean this post? What feels townie about this reply to you?
somitomi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:00 pm I actually feel like his reads so far are a bit superficial, but it's kinda early
Who do you like as Town so far?
The Snide Sniper wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:26 pm Um, why?
This may be a bit of a culture clash from the version of mafia you were playing before, but it is very important that you try to share your thoughts and opinions on things that are happening in the thread. Talk to people, ask questions, give your impressions of things, give reads on who you think is town or scum and why.
patzer wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:26 am Let's start things off
What do you think of jimbobmacdoodle? Any other impressions that you have so far?
jimbobmacdoodle

Post by jimbobmacdoodle »

If wam's comment about -1 for not noticing his vote was on the mod is serious, I don't know what to think... It didn't seem worth commenting on from my point of view, and I expect several others were similar.

@wam, re. meta read of heury, what do you remember of his meta?

@Heury, thanks for your answer. I asked because I had a similar feeling from you as my memory of whoever played the SK in the School Halloween, and was wondering if it was you, but didn't bother looking it up.
Wam wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:13 pm
heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:23 am
Wam wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:22 am Huery is interesting more involved that I normally remember but I think that's a town indication for them on meta.
Don't worry. I'm sure I'll devolve back to my normal self as the game goes on.
Why because the effort of pretending to play to your town meta will be too hard?
This.

Everything somitomi has said so far is making me read town on him.
somitomi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:00 pm
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:06 am Snide Sniper is obviously scum.
I assume this is serious, so could you explain why?
I will in due course. Suffice to say, I'm channelling my inner SDK. Come join me in voting him.
boomfrog wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:53 pm @JimBob: I'll explain after suzaku has given an opinion on my read.
Okay, fair enough. Join me on Snide Sniper too!
The Snide Sniper wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:26 pm
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:06 am Snide Sniper is obviously scum.

Unvote
Vote The Snide Sniper

@Snide Sniper, what do you think of that vote?
Um, why?
Why not? Convince me you're not scum.
Wam wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:19 pm
heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:54 pm Yeah snide sniper is not gonna be my vote today.
Why?
+1.

@moody, you have wam as negative? Why?

Some gut reads, in no particular order, and of varying degrees of strength.
Town: somitomi, wam, LaserGuy, BoomFrog
Neutral: patzer, Suzaku, moody, bessie
Scum: Heury
Should be D1 vote: Snide Sniper
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:04 pm @moody, you have wam as negative? Why?
Someone on here said (LG or BF I think) that wam's meta was a default read of slightly scummy, which kinda matches up with my hazy 2+ year old recollections. A rating of -0.5 would follow on from that and a neutral reading on someone I have experience with, as opposed to the flat zeros I gave for the players I don't have a notebook on (metaphorically speaking, not an actual notebook like bessie has).
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Ah, found it. Even though he crossed it out as being irrelevant to his read this game, I think it's still an honestly held opinion:
boomfrog wrote:wam is a teesy bit scummy but with the wam discount is still probably town. Wait, wam voted for the mod. Hmm, no read on him yet then. For a wacky game that actually might be a relevant action... :roll:
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

LaserGuy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:30 am
heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:48 amNotice I haven't made a read on Jimbob. But it does have a lot of we we we in it, referring to town. At the very least Jimbob is attempting to appear as having a town mindset as this is what the town mindset should be, is it not?
I think if I were BoomFrog I would probably be offended that you thought I was basing a read off of something so superficial.
I would be offended if I believed he meant it. But this is clearly a post hoc justification to his initial support of me that was actually based on TMI.

To be clear, this post: viewtopic.php?p=6902#p6902 was made by Huay trying to sound agreeable with two townies (Jimbob and I) and he deduced what post I must have liked from JimBob since there's only one. But he's got no clue why I found it townie.

Vote heuristically_alone

Sorry Jimbob, I'm busy. Maybe LG and Suzuki can help you out.
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Post by The Snide Sniper »

LaserGuy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:41 pm
This may be a bit of a culture clash from the version of mafia you were playing before, but it is very important that you try to share your thoughts and opinions on things that are happening in the thread. Talk to people, ask questions, give your impressions of things, give reads on who you think is town or scum and why.
I think it's because of the larger time scale. The day phase in Town of Salem is about 2 minutes at most and you have to think on your feet; you don't have time to pick apart every single word that comes out of someone else's mouth.
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
jimbobmacdoodle

The Snide Sniper wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:26 pm
I think it's because of the larger time scale. The day phase in Town of Salem is about 2 minutes at most and you have to think on your feet; you don't have time to pick apart every single word that comes out of someone else's mouth.
Okay: give us some quick-fire gut reads - who do you think is Town? Who do you think is Scum? Bonus points for any justifications you can provide beyond gut.
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

Why?
This is funny coming from you. Answer, because I only vote for people I think are scum.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:04 pm Everything somitomi has said so far is making me read town on him.
You should read his last game. He was mafia and everyone was town reading him out the get go. So I am wary of his town tone right now.

boomfrog wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:25 pm To be clear, this post: viewtopic.php?p=6902#p6902 was made by Huay trying to sound agreeable with two townies (Jimbob and I) and he deduced what post I must have liked from JimBob since there's only one. But he's got no clue why I found it townie..
I also never claimed to be staying your point of view. I had also seen snide sniper's post as towny and I was stating why I thought so. Interesting that you jumped to the conclusion that I was attempting to explain your position.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

Kinda sucks when the number one reason you're being scum read is because you're trying to share your honest opinion.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:53 pm I also never claimed to be staying your point of view. I had also seen snide sniper's post as towny and I was stating why I thought so. Interesting that you jumped to the conclusion that I was attempting to explain your position.
But... you said you weren't making a read of jimbob in this post. If you weren't trying to explain what you thought BoomFrog's reasoning was, and you weren't trying to make a read yourself, what were you trying to do?

I am still interested in hearing why you think SnideSniper is Town as well though.
boomfrog wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:25 pm To be clear, this post: viewtopic.php?p=6902#p6902 was made by Huay trying to sound agreeable with two townies (Jimbob and I) and he deduced what post I must have liked from JimBob since there's only one. But he's got no clue why I found it townie..
Yes, that is along the lines of what I was thinking hereabouts that I didn't really know how to articulate.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:04 pm I will in due course. Suffice to say, I'm channelling my inner SDK. Come join me in voting him.
I don't recall you ever being so feisty. But I like it and it feels townie to me.
Wam

Post by Wam »

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:04 pm If wam's comment about -1 for not noticing his vote was on the mod is serious, I don't know what to think... It didn't seem worth commenting on from my point of view, and I expect several others were similar.

@wam, re. meta read of heury, what do you remember of his meta?
Last game I played was a scum team of huery and somi.

https://www.mafiacolosseum.com/threads/ ... -over.568/

Heury is more active in this game. Not liking the recent content though.

My +1 -1 comment was semi joking. I'm giving boom town points for mentioning it how he did but for everyone else I think is NAI.
moody7277 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:29 pm Ah, found it. Even though he crossed it out as being irrelevant to his read this game, I think it's still an honestly held opinion:
boomfrog wrote:wam is a teesy bit scummy but with the wam discount is still probably town. Wait, wam voted for the mod. Hmm, no read on him yet then. For a wacky game that actually might be a relevant action... :roll:
But then surely I should be higher than -0.5 with the wam factor?
heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:53 pm
Why?
This is funny coming from you. Answer, because I only vote for people I think are scum.
What about snipers content shows you they are not scum?

To be clear I have sniper at null pending more content but I curious what makes you so sure?
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Looks like my questions didn' catch Heury's attention...
Vote: Heuristically_alone
LaserGuy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:41 pm Who do you like as Town so far?
I'm liking jimbob, Boom and you at the moment, mostly because we're mindmelding a lot on Heury.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:04 pm Should be D1 vote: Snide Sniper
Why is Snide Sniper in a separate category?
heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:53 pm You should read his last game. He was mafia and everyone was town reading him out the get go. So I am wary of his town tone right now.
Oh, come on, not this again. Anything, but this!
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
patzer

Post by patzer »

patzer wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:26 am Let's start things off
What do you think of jimbobmacdoodle? Any other impressions that you have so far?
Looking at everything that's gone on so far...

Jimbob: Started off by trying to analyze the game mechanics and work out ways in which town can win. This could well be a bluff but I'm not sure if a mafia member would actually stick their neck out like that, so I'll tentatively lean town for him.
Moody: Isn't anything for me to latch onto either way here, neutral.
heury: Something about his vibes is pointing me towards lean scum. For example this message is needlessly teasing at the possibility of him not being town, and I don't see why a townie would do that even as a joke.
Laserguy: Very much focused on pushing people into displaying weakness. Sensible strategy. neutral for now but I have a funny feeling somehow...
Snide Sniper: Not enough activity to have a read. New to forum mafia. neutral.
somitomi: Hard to tell, I'll say neutral for now.
Wam: Also no obvious clues, neutral for now.
bessie: looks like an honest analysis, and pressured heury. I think I'll put a lean town.
Boomfrog: Went along with the obvious focus on heury. Honestly not sure where to put neutral vs lean town as it's so hard in the early stages, but yeah, lean town
Suzaku: no info at all

Okay, now.

@Laserguy why did you ask me about jimbob specifically?
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

Sorry - didn't have notifications set up right, so didn't realise this had started. Contentless post for egosearch and starting to read now.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept. 1982
bessie

Post by bessie »

somitomi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:00 pm
heuristically_alone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:36 am I'm currently undecided of Boomfrog is scum taking advantage of my slightly scummy appearance right now, or if this is Boomfrog who thinks they laid a trap and actually caught a scum. Thinking more about it, the latter seems more likely.

Somi, what is your opinion of me right now?
Why do you think the latter is more likely and in which post do you think BoomFrog set the trap?
Also, I concur with wam, why me?
Note that somitomi avoided answering Heury’s question. Negative.

moody7277 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:46 pm bessie: a few responses and questions, dubious of heury with some research on his meta. Town lean (+3)
The research was on Boomfrog’s meta at heury’s request.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:04 pm If wam's comment about -1 for not noticing his vote was on the mod is serious, I don't know what to think... It didn't seem worth commenting on from my point of view, and I expect several others were similar.
Do you not find it interesting that Wam didn’t leave his vote long enough for it to show up in the votals? I wonder if it really was valid.

Vote: Madge

Somehow I feel Sabrar will find a way to protect her from me.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:04 pm @Heury, thanks for your answer. I asked because I had a similar feeling from you as my memory of whoever played the SK in the School Halloween, and was wondering if it was you, but didn't bother looking it up.
The serial killer wasn’t heury; heury was mafia in that game. Oh and you really should reread it in memory of our ghost-story-telling former host that unexpectedly moved to Egypt.

somitomi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:08 pm Looks like my questions didn' catch Heury's attention...
It looks like heury’s question didn’t catch your attention. You still didn’t answer it, unless you meant to answer it with your vote. If so, can you give reasons?
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

bessie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:30 am The research was on Boomfrog’s meta at heury’s request.
Well in that case, you're totes scum :P . I guess that's the downside of skimming with a seasoning of groupthink going on.
patzer wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:28 pm Moody: Isn't anything for me to latch onto either way here, neutral.
I had a whole reads list that I put some effort into (although maybe not quite enough as bessie pointed out), that would seem like something you could comment on. Do you agree with my reads, or am I full of BS? For example, you have LaserGuy at neutral while he's my strongest town read, and you also describe him in glowing terms. Would you like to expand your read on him, maybe explore that intuition on him?
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

I just realized that my new larp character is essentially my BoomFrog persona. I'm so much more excited.

Nothing game related to say, just excited.
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Post by The Snide Sniper »

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:33 pm
The Snide Sniper wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:26 pm
LaserGuy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:41 pm This may be a bit of a culture clash from the version of mafia you were playing before, but it is very important that you try to share your thoughts and opinions on things that are happening in the thread. Talk to people, ask questions, give your impressions of things, give reads on who you think is town or scum and why.
Okay: give us some quick-fire gut reads - who do you think is Town? Who do you think is Scum? Bonus points for any justifications you can provide beyond gut.
Okay, here's a few thoughts:

LaserGuy and Wam seem like town; they've been doing a lot of reads.

BoomFrog was expected to have a gambit favoring the town and he didn't; my gut says that maybe he's doing a gambit for the mafia instead, so I have him at a very weak scum lean.

Bessie (because I think you specifically asked about them) is lean town, although they haven't made a whole lot of posts so I'm not sure of this.

For patzer I'd say lean scum, at least if heury turns out to be scum. This read:
patzer wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:28 pm heury: Something about his vibes is pointing me towards lean scum. For example this message is needlessly teasing at the possibility of him not being town, and I don't see why a townie would do that even as a joke.
Seems way too weak when heury has basically been digging a hole for himself this whole time. Although I wouldn't put a strong scum lean on heury; he seems like he could just be clueless town.
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

patzer wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:28 pm Looking at everything that's gone on so far...

Jimbob: Started off by trying to analyze the game mechanics and work out ways in which town can win. This could well be a bluff but I'm not sure if a mafia member would actually stick their neck out like that, so I'll tentatively lean town for him.
Moody: Isn't anything for me to latch onto either way here, neutral.
heury: Something about his vibes is pointing me towards lean scum. For example this message is needlessly teasing at the possibility of him not being town, and I don't see why a townie would do that even as a joke.
Laserguy: Very much focused on pushing people into displaying weakness. Sensible strategy. neutral for now but I have a funny feeling somehow...
Snide Sniper: Not enough activity to have a read. New to forum mafia. neutral.
somitomi: Hard to tell, I'll say neutral for now.
Wam: Also no obvious clues, neutral for now.
bessie: looks like an honest analysis, and pressured heury. I think I'll put a lean town.
Boomfrog: Went along with the obvious focus on heury. Honestly not sure where to put neutral vs lean town as it's so hard in the early stages, but yeah, lean town
Suzaku: no info at all

Okay, now.

@Laserguy why did you ask me about jimbob specifically?
I wanted to get you to talk about someone and give an opinion, and I specifically was wanting to have you give an opinion on someone who had a decent amount of content, but also that content hadn't already been analyzed in detail by other players (e.g. heury) so hopefully you could give some original thoughts on them. I felt jimbob looked like a reasonable choice. I'm not thinking about you and jimbob as linked or anything, I just kind of wanted to get a sense of your thought process. Why did BoomFrog end up on the Town lean side of things when other people pushing heury (me, somitomi) ended up as neutral?
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

The Snide Sniper wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:35 amBoomFrog was expected to have a gambit favoring the town and he didn't; my gut says that maybe he's doing a gambit for the mafia instead, so I have him at a very weak scum lean.
What does "doing a gambit for mafia" mean? Also, what do you think people were expecting me to do when they asked for a town gambit?
jimbobmacdoodle

@Snide Sniper:

Re. LaserGuy/wam: what makes you think only Town can produce reads lists? Also, what about the other players who have reads lists e.g. moody or me?

Also, you explained why you commented on bessie. If I hadn't asked you about bessie specifically, would you have given a read on her? What should we take from the fact that you didn't give reads on about half the game?
The Snide Sniper wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:35 am my gut says that maybe he's doing a gambit for the mafia instead
Are you able to elaborate on this comment about BoomFrog and why your gut is thinking the way it is?

Does anybody actually currently have a town lean on heuristically_alone?
moody7277 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:43 am Do you agree with my reads, or am I full of BS?
It's been a while, but I don't remember moody being this blunt in the past? I otherwise like his pressure on patzer. Patzer's read list was weak - it has exactly one scum read on it.

@Patzer - if forced to pick someone to be heury's Mafia partner (assuming they are Mafia of course), who would it be?
bessie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:30 am Note that somitomi avoided answering Heury’s question
Interesting point. Will have to think about this, especially if Heury flips Mafia at some point.
bessie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:30 am Do you not find it interesting that Wam didn’t leave his vote long enough for it to show up in the votals? I wonder if it really was valid.
I'll be surprised if it was valid - I was inclined to think it was just RVS shenanigans. If your vote does show up, then wam suddenly gets marks for being a possible Militant Atheist Cult leader or something along those lines!
somitomi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:08 pm Why is Snide Sniper in a separate category?
Because he is my current vote. Come join me on him, if you get bored voting for heuristically_alone.
LaserGuy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:29 pm I don't recall you ever being so feisty. But I like it and it feels townie to me.
Thanks. Not sure how long I'll be able to keep the feistiness up for, mind you.

@heuristically_alone - who do you view as scum? I've seen nothing concrete on scum reads, although I have seen several town reads.
Wam

Post by Wam »

somitomi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:08 pm Looks like my questions didn' catch Heury's attention...
I'm going to give somi a town lean for this I dont think scum somi would be so pushy.
bessie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:30 am Do you not find it interesting that Wam didn’t leave his vote long enough for it to show up in the votals? I wonder if it really was valid.

Vote: Madge

Somehow I feel Sabrar will find a way to protect her from me.
I will be as surprised as anyone else if its valid.

My current thinking for scum is in the group, patzer, sniper, huery.

In no particular order
Town: boom, laser jimbob, somi
Neutral: bessie, moody, Suzaku
jimbobmacdoodle

@wam, why do you find Sniper to be scum? What's changed since your null read on him?