Uxbridge English Dictionary

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
Sean Quixote

Uxbridge English Dictionary

Post by Sean Quixote »

Just reviving old classics... Frankly I'm surprised I'm apparently the first to think of it.
mittfh wrote:This may prove more popular than my recent attempts - namely in that I haven't devised it myself - it's lifted directly from the antidote to panel games, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. I've even lifted the intro and a few examples to set you off...
ISIHAC wrote:English is a complex language, and it's easy to get various terms confused, for example many people are ignorant of the difference between a prediliction and a pecadillo. Well, if you take trouble to look them up you'll find that a prediliction is a preference or partiality in favour of something which is always predetermined, whereas a pecadillo is one of those little boats you hire on beach holidays.

Anyway, words are constantly changing their meanings, so I'll ask you to suggest any new definitions you may have spotted recently.
Incidentally, this reminds me of a dumb joke...
What's the difference between a dirty old bus stop and a lobster with breast implants? One is a busty crustacean and the other one is a crusty bus station.

Alright, enough of that. Let's get us started with a few selections (some sillier and more "obvious" than others; some that I think were actually slightly more clever) that I posted to the old thread:

untoward - away from
allure - decoy; live or especially artificial bait used in fishing or trapping
represent - re-gift
information - disassembly
preference - to foreshadow
Ottoman - a superhero whose appearance marks the coming of fall; he resides mostly in deciduous forests; chlorophyll is his kryptonite... also, he has magical powers over palindromes, because why the hell not
sommelier - person of Somali/Canadian ancestry
attire - 1: the covering on a wheel, usually made of rubber; 2: the point where one becomes sleepy, weary, bored, or impatient
desire - to be stripped of authority or sovereignty
mortar - a road in need of re-paving
"Come, Sancho Pizza, we must ride forth and vanquish these sea monsters"
"Don't they look like watermills to you?"
phillip1882

Re: Uxbridge English Dictionary

Post by phillip1882 »

finch - to forget inch.
spiral - to observe real.
tender - to see 10 dear.
lover of chess, baduk, and civ 4.
capable of eating sin, removing negative energy, and healing while sleeping.