Stranger Things Mafia (Halloween 2022)

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
madge

Stranger Things Mafia (Halloween 2022)

Post by madge »

When a Tween and her TikTok friends find an old D&D Expert set, complete with campaign notes and character sheets, they couldn't resist organising a sleepover to run a session...

RULES

Mods: Madge, Sabrar
Size: 7
Speed: Day Phase lasts 5 days, with weekends counting as halftime. Night Phase 48 hours. Nights will end early if chatters are finished and all actions are received.
Bastardry: There is no bastardry in this game!

Setup Notes:
• Your character choice and attribute prioritisation may or may not have been used to generate your role or alignment
• You may not self-target unless it is explicitly allowed in your role PM
• The mods will not announce MeLo/ELo or otherwise let players know that they are close to winning/losing
This setup is Non-Bastard. Per Mafiascum's definition of a 'bastard game', this setup is guaranteed free from:
• Cults, secret wincons, other mid-game alignment changes
• Moderator lies that can't be reasonably anticipated
• Post restrictions
• Spoiler reading or listening roles

Posting rules:
1. No posting in the game thread unless you are playing in it.
2. No talking about this game except in the game thread or in an appropriately titled spoiler in the discussion thread
3. No player may read discussion spoilers about this game until they are informed by the mods that they are dead and free to read spoilers.
4. No editing your posts. For any reason. At any time.
5. Do not lurk! One post per real-life day is the recommended minimum. Consideration will be given for weekends.
6. Players lurking excessively will be replaced or, if replacement is not possible, modkilled. See above.
7. Any player who is modkilled for rule violations (not lurking) will automatically lose.
8. You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. It is night once a mod posts a day-end post (this will not be before the official deadline, but knowing Madge could be quite a bit after it), or a hammer vote is cast, in which case it is automatically night, whether or not a mod has made a day-end post. Note that this means you may not post content after a hammer vote.
9. You may not play to lose, or act in a way that is clearly against your win condition.
10. You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules.
11. This is a game; it’s meant to be fun. Personal attacks or other offensive behaviour towards other players will not be tolerated.

Deadlines:
1. In general, days will last for 5 days. Nights will last for 2 days, or until all night actions are finished. Weekends will count as half time for days but full time for nights.
2. Adjustments will be made to accommodate holidays, or for other reasons if the mod deems it necessary.
3. In-thread deadline announcements from the mod override these rules.
4. Requests for extensions will be considered in exceptional circumstances only.
5. Deadlines are 'soft', meaning that posting and voting may continue after the deadline until the mod calls night.
6. Remember there is no talking after a hammer vote is cast.

Voting rules:
1. Votes and questions for the mod must be posted in bold and on a new line, like this:

Vote: Madge

You do NOT have to unvote to change votes, but it makes things easier and will be very much appreciated if you do. You can unvote in bold and on a new line, like this:

Unvote (Madge)
Vote: Sabrar

2. When someone gains a majority of the votes, they are automatically executed and it becomes night, as above. Posting content after the hammer vote is not allowed, even if the hammer vote was accidental.
3. If the deadline is reached and no player has been hammered, then the person with the most votes when the mod calls night will be executed.
4. If the votals are tied, then the person who hit the tied number of votes first will be executed, unless all players are voting solely for the tied players, in which case there will be no execution.
5. You can vote not to execute anyone by casting a vote for “No Execution”. “No Execution” will be treated exactly the same as any other player for determining votal results, except that "No Execution" always wins ties.

Death rules:
1. You’re alive until you are hammered, or a mod declares that you're dead, by PM or in thread.
2. Once you die, you may no longer post content in this thread. You may post death flavour or a ‘Bah! You killed me,’ post that reveals no information.

Private Message rules:
1. You must include the mods in any PM you send related to this game.
2. You can ask the mods questions by PM (at any time) if you'd rather not ask in thread.
3. No PMing other players concerning this game unless your role specifically allows it.
4. Any night actions must be sent by PM before the end of the night period. They can also be sent during the day prior if you would like. If sent as part of a factional chat, please indicate the action in bold on a new line, as with voting. If you don’t do this and we miss your action, tough.
5. You can send backup actions but don't make the conditions too complicated.
6. All chat is nightchat.

----

Players:
- Laserguy
- Boom
- Wam Vicarin

- Somi Eliminated D1, town doctor
- Seven Killed N1, town psychic doctor
- Heury Eliminated D2, town corrupt jailer
- Bessie Killed N2, town pickpocketing doctor
Last edited by madge on Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
madge

Re: Stranger Things Mafia (Halloween 2022)

Post by madge »

What started as a tiktok post for Amber Asgard has now become a sleepover with 7 of her best friends. Only, unbeknownst to the rest of them, not all of the friends want to enjoy the story: some want to tear things apart. After all, who are worse online trolls than tween girls?

Amber held up a character sheet, which someone had earnestly made despite its obvious ridiculousness. “Okay, Ely, I think the New Coke label in the box was just… trash!”

“Amber, I made my character sheet. Let me just play as the concept of New Coke!” Ely Argus said, rolling her eyes.

Amber shrugged. “Fine. At least Ashlie-with-an-i-e used the Enzo character sheet from the box…” She nodded approvingly at Ashlie Cally Neuroti, before glancing over at Neve S., one of three Neves in their class.

“Trust Neve to choose the cool psychic thing!” Amber said approvingly. Neve shrugged.

“Hey, I chose a COOLER, PSYCHICER thing!” Bromo Fog, an exchange student offered.

“Yes,” Amber frowned. “I know I didn’t specifically say you COULDN’T play as an entire plane of existence but… you’re really playing as The Upside Down?”

Bromo nodded. “I’m a good roleplayer!”

Amber sighed. Maybe this is why her parents never finished their game. “Okay, okay. Sese, you just wrote… ‘The Dog’ on your sheet?”

Bi Sese (who spent a little bit too much time TikToking about her sexuality) shrugged. “I wanna be the dog. People suck.”

“Okay. Okay. That’s fine. There’s actually a whole separate class for animals but you can use the human sheet or we’ll never get started. Tommi! I like your character. The skateboard chick!”

Tommi Iso nodded. “Yeah, it reminded me of the skateboard in Back To The Future”

“Excellent. Okay, we’re ready to-”

“MWA!!!!!” The new student came in. People weren’t quite sure their name, or even if they would actually come.

“Oh, cool! Thanks for coming. I didn’t think you’d make it! Did you make a sheet?”

“Mwa!” The student repeated.

Amber sighed, and pulled out a sheet with ‘Dr Sam Owens’ written at the top. “You know what? Here you go. Now, let’s get started…”

Role PMs are out. You can start playing.

It is now Day 1. Night falls in just under 6 days.
Last edited by madge on Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

I do a perception check on Somi to see if they're Mafia. 18.

Somitomi

Can we get a player list in the og post?
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
heuristically_alone

I am getting suspicious that everyone else is Mafia.....
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Great Scott, it has started!

Where is everyone?
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
bessie

Post by bessie »

Woof!
woof i am here.PNG
woof i am here.PNG (166.06 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Vote: Bromo Fog

for out psychicing me

How to balance a 7 player game?
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
heuristically_alone

2 Mafia with weak power roles, most of town with weak power roles.
----
he/him/they
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

heuristically_alone wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:45 am 2 Mafia with weak power roles, most of town with weak power roles.
If there's nothing else to balance, that would mean we only have 1 miselem until xylo.
Seven (she, him, their)
heuristically_alone

That's all we need.
----
he/him/they
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

@mods are there at least 2 anti-town aligned players on the same faction and aware of one another's alignment (informed minority)?
Seven (she, him, their)
Sabrar

Post by Sabrar »

No comment.
Wam

Post by Wam »

MWA
heuristically_alone wrote: 2 Mafia with weak power roles, most of town with weak power roles.
MWA MWA :(
bessie

Post by bessie »

Seven wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:24 pm @mods are there at least 2 anti-town aligned players on the same faction and aware of one another's alignment (informed minority)?
This buys no town cred with me.

FoS Seven
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

bessie wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:48 pm
Seven wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:24 pm @mods are there at least 2 anti-town aligned players on the same faction and aware of one another's alignment (informed minority)?

FoS Seven
Hi, I claim townie who is ignorant of the setup.

I do think this is something that should be publically known though, as an informed minority is the basis of Mafia. For this, there needs to be at least 2 or more players on the same team. Having a solo mafia or two independent anti-town players doesn't meet the mark.
Seven (she, him, their)
bessie

Post by bessie »

Aw, you should know by now that we have a lot of non-standard games. It's one of the things that endears me to this group. <3

BoomFrog, can you descend down to our plane of existence and make a post?

LaserGuy, any reads yet?
heuristically_alone

Why the assumption that this is a balanced game? I'd expect you to know better.
----
he/him/they
Wam

Post by Wam »

FoS Seven
MWA!
heuristically_alone wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:58 am Why the assumption that this is a balanced game? I'd expect you to know better.
MWA
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

heuristically_alone wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:58 am Why the assumption that this is a balanced game? I'd expect you to know better.
Though I can see how my question about how to balance a 7-player game and my question to the mods about whether there are 2 same-aligned mafia seemed to be the same topic, they are separate matters. Though the latter did occur to me from thinking about the former.

That being said, I'm not sure why you wouldn't assume so. The OP states it's non-bastard and Madge has made it clear in the past when a setup is experimental.

btw welcome to the "high" poster club. how does it feel?
Seven (she, him, their)
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

Man, Heury, I'm pretty sure I'm able to soul-read you from just a few posts. The difference between your town play and scum play is night and day to me. For example, your play in WWZ vs Halloween 2021 and Recyclables. It's like how Laser can read bessie and somi from just a few posts.
Seven (she, him, their)
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

FoS Seven
Does anything ever buy town cred with you? :lol:
Seven wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:55 am That being said, I'm not sure why you wouldn't assume so. The OP states it's non-bastard and Madge has made it clear in the past when a setup is experimental.
I don't remember exactly what game it was, but I recall being mafia in a seemingly normal setup with two lone wolves killing on alternate nights. It can happen to you.
Wam wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:28 amMWA
Woof woof :x
Seven wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:06 am Man, Heury, I'm pretty sure I'm able to soul-read you from just a few posts. The difference between your town play and scum play is night and day to me. For example, your play in WWZ vs Halloween 2021 and Recyclables. It's like how Laser can read bessie and somi from just a few posts.
Are you actually gonna share your soul read with us?
madge

Post by madge »

Rule clarification:

You may not self-target unless it is explicitly allowed in your role PM

This has been added to the OP.
heuristically_alone

Seven wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:55 am
btw welcome to the "high" poster club. how does it feel?
Wow this is nice. Is this how other people feel all the time?

Seven wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:06 am Man, Heury, I'm pretty sure I'm able to soul-read you from just a few posts. The difference between your town play and scum play is night and day to me. For example, your play in WWZ vs Halloween 2021 and Recyclables. It's like how Laser can read bessie and somi from just a few posts.
You and me both. Every time I hit post as scum is cringe at how wolfy I sound.

Btw Ok I see your point of view about your assumptions of the setup. I just assume any game from Madge is experimental.

I'm really enjoying when boomfrog kisses me. Woof.
----
he/him/they
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

heuristically_alone wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:55 pm Wow this is nice. Is this how other people feel all the time?
Can I has high postcount?
Wam

Post by Wam »

somitomi wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:37 pm
heuristically_alone wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:55 pm Wow this is nice. Is this how other people feel all the time?
Can I has high postcount?
MWA!