Secret Santa Game Thread

What you're all really here for.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Re: Secret Santa Game Thread

Post by Seven »

osieorb18 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:57 am
Seven wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:52 pmThese are all valid non-playstyle points in my opinion:

Post 7: Rolefishing, opening the door to speculate on a possible Snide Sniper soft claim. Also making a second post where the content could have been included in the previous post (related thoughts). [-1]
Even if it wasn't your intention, it's still something I suspect you would have had a low chance of doing as town (as well as the other points I mentioned). This goes back to people's self-evaluation of how they would behave as the other alignment. When we think "I would do this as town" we are really saying "as scum, this is how I imagine I would behave as town". The latter case is tainted by the fact that you are informed. It's impossible in such a case to fully be authentic because of the Paradox of Knowing. I actually got into this with bessie as well for a very similar situation where Sabar caught her early on for role fishing in a similar manner. It wasn't her intent to role fish. She believed she was posting as she would as town, but Sabrar picked up on the fact that she wasn't.
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

In the same way that scum Bessie becomes a caricatur of town Bessie, I think the same may be possible for Osie. I don't know Osie well enough to know for sure, but I think actually town Osie would have reconciled or ignored Bessie sooner.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

The Snide Sniper wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:54 am
osieorb18 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:42 am
The Snide Sniper wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:38 pmConfirmed.
@Sniper - If people hadn't told me, I probably wouldn't have realized you were a newish player for a while, possibly into somewhere in late Day 2. I was rather paranoid of you towards the start. I think once you get your feet under you, you have a lot of potential to be a really solid player. It's all about building a process. I loved some of the "Why not?" moments from you. I look forward to seeing you around!
I'd love for you to elaborate a bit on this. What made you so paranoid of me, and what were some of the "why not" moments that you're talking about? I could really use some more precise feedback.
My impression of the site was Mafia-forward with XkCD as the way that y'all happened to get together. Therefore you as the admin are likely to be someone invested in playing mafia in the community.

As for the "Why not?" moments, these posts are what I think I was referring to:

viewtopic.php?p=17480#p17480
viewtopic.php?p=17128#p17128

This is also a post I liked a lot:

viewtopic.php?p=17717#p17717
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Seven wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:06 am
osieorb18 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:57 am
Seven wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:52 pmThese are all valid non-playstyle points in my opinion:

Post 7: Rolefishing, opening the door to speculate on a possible Snide Sniper soft claim. Also making a second post where the content could have been included in the previous post (related thoughts). [-1]
Even if it wasn't your intention, it's still something I suspect you would have had a low chance of doing as town (as well as the other points I mentioned). This goes back to people's self-evaluation of how they would behave as the other alignment. When we think "I would do this as town" we are really saying "as scum, this is how I imagine I would behave as town". The latter case is tainted by the fact that you are informed. It's impossible in such a case to fully be authentic because of the Paradox of Knowing. I actually got into this with bessie as well for a very similar situation where Sabar caught her early on for role fishing in a similar manner. It wasn't her intent to role fish. She believed she was posting as she would as town, but Sabrar picked up on the fact that she wasn't.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's very little I wouldn't do as town.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

boomfrog wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:27 am In the same way that scum Bessie becomes a caricatur of town Bessie, I think the same may be possible for Osie. I don't know Osie well enough to know for sure, but I think actually town Osie would have reconciled or ignored Bessie sooner.
Nah, I was actively trying to reconcile for too long and that's just a personal thing; I WANT to believe in people and their ability to utilize and display their thought process. The back and forth in this game for me was similar in feeling to:

- Zero Escape (MtGS) in which as town I went back and forth with Phraze (I think she was Town) for a while trying to get her to analyze people, and finally gave up and posted a long questionnaire. (And some other similar games.)
- Mountainado (DLP) in which scum!sloth was knowingly misrepping me and I called it out repeatedly. (And some other similar games.)

And others.

I've had plenty of handling of people scumreading me as either alignment for good, bad, or zero declared reasons. It's part of why I'd chosen to mostly ignore it when people make FoS's and votes with no explanation. It's not worth spending time on that when I can use that time for solving instead. As I did.
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Tomsloger and Iso have both put it well in the past. Paraphrasing:

"As any alignment, when playing the game, I'm playing a part as someone who is sitting there and solving. I may involve actual thoughts in that in the process, but fundamentally there's a separation between myself and my play, as there should be for everybody."
LaserGuy

Post by LaserGuy »

bessie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:52 am
LaserGuy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:32 pm And bessie proves once again why she is the GOAT.
BESSIE GOAT.PNG

@LaserGuy I sure could have used you D2. You are the only player that consistently reads me correctly (moody’s in second place).
I think you would have been better off with Zen, even though he struggles to read you more than I do. You and I have a similar problem that we tend to focus more on our scumreads and don't work well with other townies. I'm sure I would have read you as Town this game, I just don't know even if I shared your scumreads that I necessarily would have been able to help you pull any additional votes.