Secret Santa (Belated) Signups

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
Wam

Secret Santa (Belated) Signups

Post by Wam »

The belated annual secret santa game. For newbies you each send in a role as part of your signups and it gets given to another player.

If interested, please respond here via post.

Also am more than happy to gain a cohost if anyone wants to do so - s

Rules based on Osie's for the last game, apologies if I have missed something than needed changing.

Rules
  • Activity - Players are expected to post 3 content posts per 48 hours and at least 1 content post in the final 24 hours of the Day phase or communicate to me (ideally in private, and ideally beforehand) that they cannot do so. They need not give a reason; if they tell me that they cannot make posts in a certain time period, I consider that to be sufficient. If it's a long enough time period, I will discuss with that player a possible compromise number of posts or potential for replacement. Not communicating until after the fact is handled on a case by case basis, but I am more than understanding that people are human and situations come up. If a player makes 0-1 content posts over 48 hours without communicating to me that they won't be able to post, I am likely to consider them to have abandoned the game thread and therefore seek replacement.
  • OGI/Angleshooting - Players will usually receive one friendly warning for OGI/Angleshooting. If it's more mild and/or clearly unknowing/unintentional, they may receive an additional warning before further moderation is considered. If it's more egregious, or they've already been warned, they will be considered for replacement or modkill. Intentional OGI/Angleshooting is cheating and will be quashed with great prejudice.
  • No Funny Business - No editing or deleting posts without explicit host permission. No cryptography, trust tells, or the like. If you're not sure if a post is okay, ask the host privately.
  • Toxicity - Bigotry and personal attacks do not belong in the game. Similarly to OGI/Angleshooting, if it's more mild and/or clearly unknowing/unintentional, they may receive an additional warning before further moderation is considered. If it's more egregious, or they've already been warned, they will be considered for replacement or modkill. Intentional toxicity is disgusting and will be quashed with great prejudice. Bigotry and direct attacks will usually be handled much more harshly than if a situation just escalates into a nasty argument. Again, we're all human. It happens.
  • Subbing Out - If a player no longer wishes to play, for any reason, I ask only that they please message me privately, rather than trying to get themself removed from the game via any other means. I have always honored such a request and never require reasons. No matter what the reason is for the request, I expect players to stop posting in game threads and chats once they have requested to be removed from the game. Requesting removal is saying "I no longer wish to participate." Participating at that point is trying to eat your cake and own it whole too. It's disrespectful to everyone involved.
Setup-Specific Info
  • Roles will be randomly allocated based on those submitted by the players. Roles will not be allocated to the submitter, the mod reserves the right to alter roles for any reason.
  • This is not a bastard game, more details will be given when the roles are known.
  • I do not mind if you are not honest about what I have told you in PMs. Keep in mind, though, that my answers to other players questions may contradict what you have said in that case.
  • Players with chats can chat at any time.
  • Vote manipulation has no effect in XyLO.
  • Elimination Deadlines will be 120 hours.
  • Night phases will be 48 hours long. Night phases will be split into 24 hours for action submission and 24 hours for action handling.
  • Some abilities may change a player's target. The affected player will only directly learn of the change of target if they would learn information about their target.
  • This game uses "hard majority" majority elimination at greater than 50% of living players during the Day and elimination at the end of the Day for the player with the most votes. Ties will be resolved by checking who received that number of votes first.
  • Players may vote for no elimination to occur.
  • If there is an intentional no elimination for a Day, followed by an intentional no kill for a Night, followed by an intentional no elimination once more for a second Day, then at host discretion, a random town player may become the elimination for the second Day. This rule exists to prevent perpetual MyLO.
  • Actions will follow NAR as well as I can. When it comes down to it, I'm going to be making a decision, and you might not always agree with that decision. Please save concerns until the end of the game.
  • The game will start when all players have adequately responded to their role PMs.
[*] Game will have as many players as sign up

Interest List (/in?):

Side note currently don't have a flavour in mind so will take flavour suggestions as well. Please send your proposed role along to me by PM When you sign up. Feel free to ask questions either in this thread or by PM.
moody7277

Re: Secret Santa (Belated) Signups

Post by moody7277 »

Interest List (/in?):

1. moody7277
bessie

Post by bessie »

Interest List (/in?):
1. moody7277
2. bessie

Replacements
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

Interest List (/in?):
1. moody7277
2. bessie
3. heury

Replacements
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Interest List (/in?):
1. moody7277
2. bessie
3. heury
7. osieorb18

Replacements
√2.
π.
madge

Post by madge »

I am in, will send role in 36 hours if that's OK (on holiday), can do sooner if it's not
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

Interest List (/in?):
1. moody7277
2. bessie
3. heury
4. Boomfrog
5. Madge
7. osieorb18

Replacements
√2.
π.
Sabrar

Post by Sabrar »

Interest List (/in?):
1. moody7277
2. bessie
3. heury
4. Boomfrog
5. Madge
7. osieorb18

Replacements
1. Sabrar
√2.
π.
Wam

Post by Wam »

madge wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:25 am I am in, will send role in 36 hours if that's OK (on holiday), can do sooner if it's not
Plan is to have signups open for a week so no problem.
Seven
Gatekeeper

Post by Seven »

What are the parameters of the roles?
Seven (she, him, their)
aka Zen, Xivii, Hari Seldon, Ro Laren, Spirit, Khepri, Kamina
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Post by The Snide Sniper »

Interest List (/in?):
1. moody7277
2. bessie
3. heury
4. Boomfrog
5. Madge
6. The Snide Sniper
7. osieorb18

Replacements
1. Sabrar
√2.
π.
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
Wam

Post by Wam »

Seven wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:15 am What are the parameters of the roles?
No cults Is the only rule I have currently. If I feel a role is OP I reserve the right to nerf it but will keep the spirit.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Sabrar wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:58 am Replacements
1. Sabrar
sad puppy.PNG
sad puppy.PNG (212.02 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
the worst

Post by the worst »

Wam wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:15 pmwill take flavour suggestions
Peppermint is festive!

Interest List (/in?):
1. moody7277
2. bessie
3. heury
4. Boomfrog
5. Madge
6. The Snide Sniper
7. osieorb18
7#2. the worst

Replacements
1. Sabrar
√2.
π.
madge

Post by madge »

flavour-wise, i have two main thoughts:

1. make the belated part of the theme, like say we're the many, many kids in the blended family of two former repeat divorcees who got remarried and we have christmas on january 16th because this is when the children are all available at once, and we use all the discount food/etc from the sales

2. something to do with covid / zoom / isolation / etc - a podcast i listen to had a host say that he and his mother both got covid on xmas so they spent xmas eve bingeing one season of ink master and xmas day bingeing the following season which tbh is a #mood

hope that helps with some inspo
madge

Post by madge »

oh okay third idea

playing on #2 but the mafia is kidnapping people to have them participate in an IRL xmas party while the town just want to do zoom. i forgot stories need conflict
boomfrog

Post by boomfrog »

Seven wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:15 am What are the parameters of the roles?
Generally based on part events, don't make a role that dominates the game and don't make a role that is boring to be.
madge

Post by madge »

yeah make something FUN FUN FUN

also you were not allowed to claim what you sent in under any circumstances in past games, which i assume is still a rule this year
madge

Post by madge »

also generally people try to work xmas into the flavour but that's not required
Wam

Post by Wam »

@madge think I will work in the belated option. Feel a zoom/covid theme maybe a bit depressing/to close to real life!
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Interest List (/in?):
1. moody7277
2. bessie
3. heury
4. Boomfrog
5. Madge
6. The Snide Sniper
7. osieorb18
7#2. the worst

Replacements
1. Sabrar
√2. somitomi
π.

I'd like to /in, but I don't feel like I have the spare energy for it :(
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
bessie

Post by bessie »

madge wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:14 am yeah make something FUN FUN FUN

also you were not allowed to claim what you sent in under any circumstances in past games, which i assume is still a rule this year
Claiming has been allowed previously in scum chat.

@Wam can you make sure this is clear ahead of time, whether or not claiming the role you sent in will allowed in scum chat for this game? And would it be allowed in mason/neighbor chat (I can't remember if this was allowed when I was neighbors with Sabrar)?
Wam

Post by Wam »

I'm going to go with yes in scum chat no anywhere else in the game.

In some previous years the mod has put in a role to ensure that not all roles are known do we want that this year?
madge

Post by madge »

I would personally be sad if my role (or something that was an homage to it if my role is unbalanced/boring) isn't in the game, so I think that you should only do that if someone doesn't want to submit a role.
bessie

Post by bessie »

I like the idea of mod putting in a role, that way no one can be sure if the role they submitted are in the game. I think this is better for town. I remember when Jimbob and I were the mafia team we were able to figure out all the roles.