Mornington Crescent

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Re: Mornington Crescent

Post by The Snide Sniper »

If I'm not mistaken, this much of a wait means I can now steal, and jump to Ealing Broadway without spending any Transit Points, leaving me in a solid position to approach Hammersmith in my next turn.

This game is starting to get interesting. I wonder if we could get a scorekeeper.
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

I can't imagine any program could understand Mornington Crescent well enough to reliably score it. It takes a lifetime just for humans to get it.

Fairlop
Diana, madge's ratwife, any pronouns

I'm watching the first episode of all different cartoons!

---

Ya like my gate?
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Well, we could at the very least try to track the number of Crosswalks and Mile Chips each player has, if nothing else.

Hammersmith
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
rosewinsall

Post by rosewinsall »

East India. This allows me to draw a Colony Card. draws a card which reads, "Lateral moves are prohibited for the next two plays by any person.
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

Good thing I don't currently count as a person. Hornchurch

---

Ya like my gate?
orangedragonfire

Post by orangedragonfire »

That means prohibits lineal moves for me as well, and thus I can't move at all.

So I must take a null move stay at London Bridge.

At least I get double Bridge tokens. Double zero is still zero, but could be important if we get into infinitesimal space.
rosewinsall

Post by rosewinsall »

Is Dollis Hill legal for me?
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

For now.

Pontoon Dock

---

Ya like my gate?
orangedragonfire

I suppose Elephant & Castle will have to do.

Now, back in the day, these two were separate moves - you could go to either Elephant or Castle, and their placements and quirky rules allowed for some wonderful schenanigans. But then the superposition gambit caught on - with a proximity token, players would move to both at the same time, and from then on be in two positions at once. Repeated applications of the gambit could leave players in hundreds of positions at once, which admittedly ended up overpowered. And I understand that this is why they have to consolidate the two - though other sources claim that they lost a drunken match of speed Mornington Crescent and unifying Elephant and Castle was the stake - I'm just sad that so many other wacky strategies were removed in the merger as well. Still, I suppose it wasn't as much a disaster as grouping Highbury and Islington together.

Ah, do excuse my rant, but of course feel free to claim your Lore Token if you're read through it.
Lavender Manna

Post by Lavender Manna »

ooh, some fascinating developments since i last logged on. I will reject your lore token because i dont want it weighing down my token pool thank you very much, you might have fooled a more novice player than than i with that ruse, but my strategy is far too advanced to be thrown off by a wall of exposition, especially one that seems to pointedly ignore the '94 Buckingham rules revision regarding expository text. but i suppose thats only natural, seeing as Buckingham has hardly been relevant to standard play since the Salisbury Strategy caught on in '06. anyways, nevermind my rambling. no tokens for reading this one :p

West Ham
im gay
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

OK, I've left this long enough. It's time for...

Victoria

Apologies to anyone currently east of that. :twisted:

---

Ya like my gate?
rosewinsall

Post by rosewinsall »

Back in my day you warned other players before doing something so horrendous. East Ham
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

rosewinsall wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:26 pm Back in my day you warned other players before doing something so horrendous.
Hey, I was waiting to see if anyone would notice and stop me first!

Barking

---

Ya like my gate?
rosewinsall

Post by rosewinsall »

orangedragonfire wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:23 pm I suppose Elephant & Castle will have to do.

Ah, do excuse my rant, but of course feel free to claim your Lore Token if you're read through it.
It's been a few days so that lore should be Ancient History now. I'll take one Ancient History Token and go to Bank in Victorian Times.
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Ooh, I might have to brush up on the time travel rules; it's been a while since I've had a game go like this. I think I'll follow you to Moorgate in the Great Depression in preparation for a Hitler Maneuver.
orangedragonfire

I know you're baiting me into it, but I kinda wanna see where this goes.

I think I'll go with variations 7, 4 and 173 of the Maneuver.

Move to Angel, get a Divine Token. Immediately spend it to activate the "God with us" slogan, giving me and any allies a religious fanatic buff. Also, while spouting these beliefs in public, do not act in alignment with religious tenets, thus giving me the Blasphemy buff. These cancel out and leave me with edginess which I channel into art.

Now, I submit this to the next poster for approval. If approved, I get all the rewards that come with creating prestigious art. If it is rejected, and my art career thus cut short, well...
rosewinsall

Post by rosewinsall »

You know what I wanna see where this goes. Your art is terrible.I move to Waterloo in preparation for any takeovers.
orangedragonfire

Very well then.

Move to Westminster to go into politics. I become a... let's see... maybe a Chancellor.
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

Chancery Lane

---

Ya like my gate?
orangedragonfire

King's Cross.

Collect a railway token, and use it to massively improve rail infrastructure. That should help... civilians... move around.
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Goodness, my maneuver has been upstaged by another player! Fortunately, orangedragonfire was a bit careless in improving the rail infrastructure, and so I might be able to pull off a Terminator gambit instead. I move to Sleaford (in Lincolnshire) to set up defenses, which would normally cost an impossibly large number of transit points and leave me in Nidd for 3 turns, but because orangedragonfire decided to improve the rail infrastructure, I can just barely make it.
orangedragonfire

That's... a really good counter, actually. I can't really progress down this road without playing into the Terminator gambit, and if both keep going we my play gets negated through time travel. On the other hand, I have come too far to back out now - I would end up way behind. I guess I'll just have to hope that one of the other players messes this up for you.

Move to Victoria, and annex it along with the rest of Australia.
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

Ahh, an opening. Annexation can be resisted by playing Arsenal, and if I am not mistaken the rules we are currently using allow this to be played on the first turn if a new player wishes to join the game.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept. 1982
orangedragonfire

Blast, I have been foiled! And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for new players and their position of not already being caught up in all the political intrigue that prevents older players from such a counter strategy! I shall head to Hyde Park Corner, and anxiously laugh the whole thing off as a joke.

On the bright side, while this sets me back a bit, it means I am no longer forced to play along with the gambit, and can do other fun stuff again.
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

Hmm, did you think that all the way through? I think you might have knobbled yourself there.
In the spirit of sportsmanship, I shall move to Bethnal Green and give you a possible out.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept. 1982