Songs of Our Times Mafia Game Thread - Game Over

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
madge

Re: Songs of Our Times Mafia Game Thread - Day 1

Post by madge »

moody7277 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:51 pmMadge complains
fwiw i am excited because

a) havne't played for 2 years

b) i don't mean to claim or anything but... i might have a power role

any people who don't kniow me: you will laern to hate me, my meta is essentially that i don't play mafia very well. I just modded a game on here and even thouygh I knew who scum was i couldn't find any "Tells" for it so i've basically concluded that it's not something i'm good at, it's been long enough that i don't think i'll ever learn, and i don't have time to dedicat to long re-reads aNyway

that said i love breaking apart the mechanics of the game and working out the different possibilities and coming up with setup spec and whatnot so yeah

also some clear data about the setup:

- people seem to have the potential to have different numbers of elim votes frm how votals are stored

- daychat. i want to emphasise this. i hate daychat. scum can coordinate on a hammer and don't have to talk to each other obliquely in-thread

based on my role i assume nobody has anything approaching a normal role. we were told this, but i was not expecting what i've ended up with.
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
patzer

Post by patzer »

out of curiosity where did you all come from? I don't recognize a lot of names from this thread.

re: "nobody has anything approaching a normal role", I get those vibes too so far
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

My main sites were DarkLordPotter and MTGS. I've played with Wisp, MathBlade, bessie and the worst, I believe. My main account is Vaimes - this is an alt I used briefly on MafiaScum.

I have royally sucked at mafia in the last handful of games I've played. Took a nice long break and I hope I suck less now!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Oh and I'm a he.

madge could be playing up the "I'm bad at this game and therefore town" angle but I like their vibe.

Also I'm not going to remember pronouns so unless it's a huge deal for anyone, I'll probably just end up they-ing all of you except the people I know.
the worst

Post by the worst »

Wisp wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 pm
the worst wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:19 pm Oh you're not mafia?? Thank goodness, had me scared for a hot minute.

Would love a vibe check but my reading of the atmospheric energy of the thread tells me that Sabrar, Wam and Morgan are town, and

vote: SuperJedi224
how serious is this the second half of this post?
You know me Wisp. I'm always deadly serious.
Morgan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:27 am My main sites were DarkLordPotter and MTGS. I've played with Wisp, MathBlade, bessie and the worst, I believe. My main account is Vaimes - this is an alt I used briefly on MafiaScum.

I have royally sucked at mafia in the last handful of games I've played. Took a nice long break and I hope I suck less now!
Oh snap I didn't realise, nice to see you again!!
the worst

Post by the worst »

Morgan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:36 pmVote Wisp
I know questioning a "random" decision is kind of abstract but random voting is always a little more powerful when not done entirely randomly, and I am literally a duck, so

What made u choose to random vote Wisp here?
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Because he's a fun early vote.

And right now I think he's being too passive.
MathBlade

Post by MathBlade »

moody7277 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:51 pm
Wisp wrote:one question though, is week day phases normal for you guys?
Yes, except where explicitly called a turbo game.

Day 1 for the last dozen or so games I can recall has been: random voting, someone claiming they can get alignment info from these and confirmation posts (there used to be this one player...), setup speculation, Madge complains, Boomfrog (were he playing) does some sort of reaction trap gambit, some flimsy attempt at analysis, someone does something slightly scummy and a bandwagon forms, maybe a counterwagon forms, and we eventually have an elim.
So a game of mafia? Lmao.
Wisp wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:25 pm 3. madge
5. Wam

6. bessie
9. the worst
Sabrar

so i know for a fact i played with the bottom 3, I think I played with the top two?
if Im missing anyone, sorry

also whats with all the smash players on this site?
You have me at a disadvantage. I have played waaaay too much mafia and do not remember you.

madge wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:30 am
moody7277 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:51 pmMadge complains
fwiw i am excited because

a) havne't played for 2 years

b) i don't mean to claim or anything but... i might have a power role

any people who don't kniow me: you will laern to hate me, my meta is essentially that i don't play mafia very well. I just modded a game on here and even thouygh I knew who scum was i couldn't find any "Tells" for it so i've basically concluded that it's not something i'm good at, it's been long enough that i don't think i'll ever learn, and i don't have time to dedicat to long re-reads aNyway

that said i love breaking apart the mechanics of the game and working out the different possibilities and coming up with setup spec and whatnot so yeah

also some clear data about the setup:

- people seem to have the potential to have different numbers of elim votes frm how votals are stored

- daychat. i want to emphasise this. i hate daychat. scum can coordinate on a hammer and don't have to talk to each other obliquely in-thread

based on my role i assume nobody has anything approaching a normal role. we were told this, but i was not expecting what i've ended up with.
I agree with pretty much what you’ve said here. My reputation on most sites is good town great scum but on Mafiascum (my homesite) is garbage fire town and god tier scum.

And as much as this is role madness I would avoid talking mechanics here especially if what you’re hinting at is true. There’s no reason to give scum more info here.

I find scum when they have daychat flub in RVS so we might be able to get more associative tells.
MathBlade

Post by MathBlade »

Morgan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:30 am Oh and I'm a he.

madge could be playing up the "I'm bad at this game and therefore town" angle but I like their vibe.

Also I'm not going to remember pronouns so unless it's a huge deal for anyone, I'll probably just end up they-ing all of you except the people I know.
This is gonna be fun. I actually like Madge’s vibe too. They is fine but me but she would be very very bad.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

Morgan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:27 am My main sites were DarkLordPotter and MTGS. I've played with Wisp, MathBlade, bessie and the worst, I believe. My main account is Vaimes - this is an alt I used briefly on MafiaScum.

ohh god
j/k Hi Vaimes, Welcome Back!
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

my homesite is MTGS, and Mafia Coliseum
but I played on tons of sites, which include

Mafia Universe
Forum of Lies
Chief Delphi Forums (Rip)
DarkLordPotter
MTGS
Mafia Coliseum
Mafia451
SmashBoards
Mafia Scum
Starcraft II Forum Mafia
maybe more, can't remember
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

the random vote makes so much more sense now that i know that is Vaimes lmao
bessie

Post by bessie »

I’m here! For everyone that doesn’t know me, I do not play during working hours (I’m in California so PST), for the reason that I’m being paid to work. My playing time will be weeknight evenings and weekends. I will make an effort to check in the morning before deadline since I will be at work at deadline.

Welcome everyone new to xkcd! Since very likely none of us knows everyone else, can everyone tell us something of your mafia experience? [pre-post edit it looks as if patzer asked this too] Many of us, including me, used to play mafia on the xkcd forums, I had been playing since 2012 and it was the only site on which I had ever played. The forums went down two years ago and never came back. The Smashboards players very kindly invited us to play on their site. [pre post edit, Wisp that’s why you know many of us from Smashboards] A couple months ago, The Snide Sniper started this site, so we started playing here.

She/her pronouns preferred but anything is ok.

Can everyone get avatars? It makes it much easier.

Wisp wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:13 pm
the worst wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:22 pm vote: Wisp

My excitement to be here is matched only by my sadness that Wisp has rolled mafia :<
well its a good thing I'm not :), so be happy
Hmmmmm.

Wisp wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:36 pm one question though, is week day phases normal for you guys?
5-7 days is normal (with weekends counting as half time).

moody7277 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:51 pm someone claiming they can get alignment info from these and confirmation posts (there used to be this one player...),
who me.PNG
who me.PNG (97.67 KiB) Viewed 1847 times

madge wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:30 am <a totally completely typical Madge post>
Do you perchance have any reads? :roll:

Hi Morgan! Welcome and it is nice to see you!

Morgan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:36 am And right now I think he's being too passive.
I concur with this observation. However, remember that there is a maximum posting restriction, so Wisp will not be able to play the way he usually plays.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

@bessie
ya ill get one in a bit, I need to edit one to fit the requirements, mostly the KB size of the pictures
the posting restriction has nothing to do with my playstyle change, though it might play somewhat of a part
since it did in the recent MU game that just ended

but if that game is also anything, it tells me I can hunt mafia even better, when I take my time and vibe, rather than hyper posting

anyways Hi bessie, I hope you are town this game, since I have never had the pleasure of seeing your town game
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

also sucks to hear about your old site, I didn't realize some of you weren't originally from smashboards, either way, thanks for the explanation
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

also since we bessie asked about playstyle, and since they also clarified their availability, I will do so to
in terms of my presence, unlike Bessie I can "mostly" post at work, "mostly" is more loose here than normal, since thanksgiving is coming up, and I work full time as a stocker in a grocery store, so EoDs will be hard for me to be fully there for

in terms of play style, Vaimes aka Morgan, knows a playstyle that I've mostly dropped now, how "into" the thread I get depends on if its needed or if people want to poke/pressure me. I am mostly a meta-based player, so I will probably vibe for most of day 1, until something catches my eye. In the past I used to be a hyperposter, who let real time mess with his reads a lot, quite wishy-washy, reads were all over the place, but I've changed a decent amount from recent experiences, and interacting with players both in and outside of mafia games. I solve on a micro level, your macro/real time, means very little to me a decent amount of the time. I want your thoughts, I don't care how you respond to pressure

anyways, that's me, your friendly neighborhood Wisp
going to find an avatar now
Suzaku

Post by Suzaku »

Hey all. Welcome to the boards those of you who are new here.

I'm another ex-XKCD forum player, although I wasn't really active when the forums vaporised two years back.
Only ever played Mafia on those boards, and now here. Actually probably prefer modding (hosting) to playing, but like playing too (obvs, else I wouldn't be doing it).

And first off from me:
Vote: Wam
For murderising me in the hallowe'en game. :P
Pronouns: he/him/his
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it. Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept. 1982
madge

Post by madge »

my only read, bessie, is that bessie is beding vrey bessie so null

also one o f my nails just broke so typing clearly is... horribke

i plaqyed in xkcd sunce round 2012/13, before thqat it was on mafiascum(i think? it was a live mafia game chat thing) for lik 6 months
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
osieorb18

Post by osieorb18 »

Votecount

Votee (Votes/Elimination) - Voter(s)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Wam (2/8) - Sabrar, Suzaku
Wisp (1/8) - Morgan
MathBlade (1/8) - moody7277
the worst (1/8) - MathBlade
Sabrar (1/8) - Wam
SuperJedi224 (1/8) - the worst

Not Voting (6): bessie, madge, patzer, SuperJedi224, Wisp, Zeniba

Elimination Deadline is 10 AM PST on November 22nd.
Last edited by osieorb18 on Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MathBlade

Post by MathBlade »

Suzaku wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:15 am Hey all. Welcome to the boards those of you who are new here.

I'm another ex-XKCD forum player, although I wasn't really active when the forums vaporised two years back.
Only ever played Mafia on those boards, and now here. Actually probably prefer modding (hosting) to playing, but like playing too (obvs, else I wouldn't be doing it).

And first off from me:
[v]Suzaku[/v]

For not interacting or getting a single read other than RVS. Give me some opinion on what you read.
MathBlade

Post by MathBlade »

vote: Suzaku Sorry not used to the style yet.
the worst

Post by the worst »

I saw the broken [v] tags and my brain was like "ooh I like this person", then I saw it was you, and that was already obvious. :P

For those who asked-- I've been playing forum mafia since 2018 I think. I've played more on MafiaScum than anywhere else, but I've popped up on a few other sites. I make an effort to follow Osie around when I have the time and he's doing cool things. Its lovely to be here, and thanks for the warm welcome. :)
Wam

Post by Wam »

Wisp wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:25 pm 3. madge
5. Wam

6. bessie
9. the worst
Sabrar

So I know for a fact i played with the bottom 3, I think I played with the top two?
if Im missing anyone, sorry

also whats with all the smash players on this site?
Yes I think 1 game on smashboards.

For background I had been playing on the old xkcd site since 2011/12 ish. Had a few big gaps in there, played some smashboards games and one of mafia Colosseum.

My meta is simple the scummier I look the more likely I am to be town. I hadnt actually rolled scum for ages until my last game. Linked here for the meta players

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95

So far math and the worst seem townie. Madge is madge and Bessie is bessie.

unvote

Suzaku wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:15 am Hey all. Welcome to the boards those of you who are new here.

And first off from me:
Why me and not moody my buddy from the last game.

vote suzaku
Sabrar

Post by Sabrar »

I'm also in the ex-xkcd crowd who played a few games on Smashboards as well.
madge wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:21 ammy only read, bessie, is that bessie is beding vrey bessie so null
Wam wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:13 amMadge is madge and Bessie is bessie.
Could we please not do these types of 'reads'? They are unhelpful and basically filler.
Wisp wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:36 pm Though at this time Im not going to attempt to move us forward
Why did you feel the need to post that?
madge wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:21 am also one o f my nails just broke so typing clearly is... horribke
I broke one of mine a week ago and it was annoying as hell so I can sympathize.
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Suzaku wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:15 am For murderising me in the hallowe'en game. :P
Technically that was me, as wam didn't do anything until right at the end. That was a source of consternation for me as he had an ability that only activated if he did the kill. Not the place here for further discussion of that game.
Sabrar wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:53 am Could we please not do these types of 'reads'? They are unhelpful and basically filler.
I wouldn't call it complete filler. Madge being Madge implies a level of confusion that is more likely to be townie. And I've already said that if I don't think bessie looks solidly town I'd policy elim her.