Songs of Our Times Mafia Game Thread - Game Over

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some forum-based games.
Wisp

Re: Songs of Our Times Mafia Game Thread - Day 1

Post by Wisp »

Gun to my head, Im still at I wouldn't vote Bessie, I think there are some nuances in their posting style, that make me reluctant to believe that they are going at anything in a malicious manner
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

Morgan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:03 pm lol

Based on that post, bessie, I’m not Jedi’s biggest fan.
Ya Jedi looks lost and not in a townie way
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

All you bessie naysayers, propose an alternative? And my "propose" I don't mean vote someone and then do nothing else.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Sabrar wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:47 am
bessie wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:12 am And this is ironic considering historically most of the time your reads of Madge are “Madge is Madge so therefore town”.
No, most of the time my read was that Madge is town!Madge and I have explained in Crossover my reasons for that.

I agree with moody regarding the culture clash, we've had a lot of those the first time where people from two different forums played together.

I get good vibes from some of Wisp's replies.

I love snarky!bessie, I think I'm gonna sheep her.

Unvote
What do you mean, sheep her? She has no solid stances to sheep.

-

For bessie:
SuperJedi224 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:27 pm Hello everyone, little out of practice but I'm glad to be back

Not going to vote just yet myself
SuperJedi224 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:20 pm I did play a pseudonightless game with week long day phases once on the old forum, but I think most of the games I've participated in elsewhere have generally been closer to this speed
SuperJedi224 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:15 pm I can agree with the post count being a bit daunting, yeah

Regarding other places I've played I did one or two games on the old forum (I think I recognize a few players from there) and a few elsewhere, but really none of the major mafia boards I don't think (I think the first forum mafia I played was an anonymised game hosted by one of the users from the old BitF forum back when the comic was still active, I was Meta Knight IIRC). Probably been at least a good year since I last played one.

And yeah I should probably set a pfp here.
SuperJedi224 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:00 pm For some reason I had thought the deadline was closer than that
Not including the latest Jedi post, since it didn't exist when bessie asked for my Jedi thoughts.

All I can really see here is potential scum posting for the sake of posting. The last one here is awful because despite thinking deadline was sooner, Jedi doesn't seem to be very forthcoming in participating. And by "participating" I mean actually trying to help town win, not just post filler.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

@Vaimes/Morgan
I'm more likely to focus on Jedi/Sabrar, I think even just off early stuff that PoE probably has a higher than Rand chance of containing a wolf, maybe two
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

I think if I'm going to find wolf!Bessie, I probably don't, and maybe policy her in a few day phases, as gross as that sounds, or I keep an eye on how they handle the game state, and how against the consensus their pushes are, which tends to be a good way to tell if she is being malicious or not
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

That's all well and good. I just don't want to overly focus on lurky slots Day 1, because it doesn't really shed much light on other players. Even less so if they end up flipping town within the first two or so phases.
SuperJedi224

Post by SuperJedi224 »

Honestly yes, some of it is about just trying to keep up with the post count requirement
Part of the reason I played as few of these as I did on the old forum

For now it's looking like at least one of suzaku/bessie/wisp/sabrar, on a reread bessie is looking less likely than she was previously but for now I'd still say better than random; unlikely to be both wisp/sabrar (or both bessie/morgan?)

Probably not moody but that could change depending on how other players flip
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

I don't get where those statements are coming from, why does there have to be a wolf in that PoE?

@Vaimes
Yo can we just towncore each other, it will make this game less of a headache if you just lock me in as town and I lock you in, I'm confident enough that you aren't pulling my leg with the content u produced so far

If you don't want to lock me as town, then that's fine, I'm still putting you in my towncore, I think from a meta standpoint, you aren't a wolf
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Me and Cynical View agree that Jedi limiting his votables to the current popular wagons this early in the game day doesn't look good. Revising him down to between -0.5 and -1.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

Morgan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:08 pm That's all well and good. I just don't want to overly focus on lurky slots Day 1, because it doesn't really shed much light on other players. Even less so if they end up flipping town within the first two or so phases.
Also I am more than likely going to end up burying a lurky play day 1, I think it's the correct play a lot of the time, and atm I wouldn't bat an eye if Jedi was to flip town

Suzaku/Jedi/Sabrar
Are good votes ATM in my opinion
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

I looked at Halloween mafia a bit, I was checking out Moody's iso there. I think on a shallow level they are about the same, so ya I'm not at all interested in that slot anymore. I think it was just a little bit of disliking his numbers without explaining why they existed. And in Halloween mafia, his thoughts got better. So I want to see what he does here
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

SuperJedi224 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:19 pm Honestly yes, some of it is about just trying to keep up with the post count requirement
Part of the reason I played as few of these as I did on the old forum

For now it's looking like at least one of suzaku/bessie/wisp/sabrar, on a reread bessie is looking less likely than she was previously but for now I'd still say better than random; unlikely to be both wisp/sabrar (or both bessie/morgan?)

Probably not moody but that could change depending on how other players flip
What changed for Bessie? And what do you like about moody, and why is that dependent in flips?
madge

Post by madge »

OH MY GOD i can't get to my computer in like a day and I have pages and pages and pages. I definitely won't be able to do reads that satisfy, well, anyone.

That said: good news, I got my nails done, so I can type properly now.

@Sabrar: you can tell me how to mod a game but you CANNOT tell me how to play a game. I am officially declaring I don't do reads. Elim me if you want, but you all know that I've never done reads as town (or when I have I have complaiend CONSTANTLY), so this is goin to result in you eliminating town!Madge more often than not

Bessie wrote:Pick one other player and give me a real read.
You're not my dad, you can't tell me what to do!

MADGE'S ARBITRARY REPORT CARD
Sabrar -- (sheeping bessie?? i want to sheep bessie but i feel like sabrar normally asks people to sheep him, i assume this is part of a gambit but i need explanations)
Suzaku ++-- (lot of effort to go to at the top of pg 3)
Wisp -+-+--- (lots of posts = lots of opportunities for minuses. getting a weird vibe. probably just unfamiliar. very uncomfortable they're comfortable enough that vaimes is town to "towncore" them: is vaimes like really bad at playing as mafia or something because that's the only explanation I have for this on D1)
SuperJedi +--
MathBlade +++ (has v skeptical attitude)
Morgan +++ (doesn't undertand bessie's meta but doesn't mean that not town)
Moody ++- (mostly posts v moody-typical, null tell, would be same town or scum moody imo)
the worst +
bessie ++++ (catching suzaku's blase reaction to his vote mishap is a huge thing IMO
wam -
patzer -

The above are based on gut reads, as I go through I give most posts a + or - or neither based on gut check. I have already forgotten the source of a lot of them, but I have tried to include notes. The pluses and minuses aren't equal to each other or anything, so I won't be abstracting them out to scores.

This technique is just to help get me through D1, after that I have better ways to make reads.

INTERLUDE: MADGE HAS A SMOOTH BRAIN

Is wolf slang I don't know? Either way I like it. It seems not to quite mean scum? or does it exactly mean scum from the "werewolf" game flavour?

What does "3p" mean? As in, "a 3p exists somewhere"?

What does "KP" mean, and what does "a lot of it" mean?

END INTERLUDE

I also agree that while I understand that the xkcida players aren't very good at mafia in absolute terms, perhaps, we have fun and we like our little meta. i'd be very sad if we resurrected xkcdia only for it to basically become smashboards 2.0

It's D1 so I know that my vote is not based on anything approaching objectivity, so with that in mind, here's my vote:

Vote: Sabrar

Sabrar: why are you sheeping bessie? like are you for real sheeping her or was it a joke i took way too seriously?
madge, ratammer's ponywife, she/her
Plug: my vampire romance novel is finished!
Sabrar

Post by Sabrar »

Morgan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:41 pm What do you mean, sheep her? She has no solid stances to sheep.
But I'm sure she will.
Wisp wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:51 pm I looked at Halloween mafia a bit, I was checking out Moody's iso there. I think on a shallow level they are about the same, so ya I'm not at all interested in that slot anymore. I think it was just a little bit of disliking his numbers without explaining why they existed. And in Halloween mafia, his thoughts got better. So I want to see what he does here
You do know that in Halloween he was scum, right?
madge wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:14 pm Is wolf slang I don't know? Either way I like it. It seems not to quite mean scum? or does it exactly mean scum from the "werewolf" game flavour?

What does "3p" mean? As in, "a 3p exists somewhere"?

What does "KP" mean, and what does "a lot of it" mean?
- the latter, wolf means scum
- third party, we call them indies
- kill power I think
madge wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:14 pm Sabrar: why are you sheeping bessie? like are you for real sheeping her or was it a joke i took way too seriously?
Partial joke, meant to indicate that I think she's town.
madge

Post by madge »

yeah i can't imagine in a game this size we don't have indies so that is a nulltell/slightly scummy to point out something obvious, thank you for the help witthe lingo

i also think bessie is town, obv. i thought sheeping like that was v out of characte rfor you. that said my other reasons for giving you minuses aren't negated so vote stays.
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

Moody was scum in that game? I swear he got mislynched in lylo giving mafia the win. I gotta double check when I get home

If that is the case ignore what I just said on him
madge

Post by madge »

me and sabrar modded the game, i sent the role pms out, guarantee you it's moody/wam scumteam bessie antisocial survivor
MathBlade

Post by MathBlade »

madge wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:40 pm me and sabrar modded the game, i sent the role pms out, guarantee you it's moody/wam scumteam bessie antisocial survivor
I pretty much disagree with this sorry. I think you need to explain why you think this is accurate here. I think some of this is probably right but this doesn’t match the vibe. 13 P generally has 3 regular scum and I would be expecting some major TPR if there is a 3P as previously stated and game doesn’t have that.

I would expect Suzaku scum and scum are starting feeling for safe wagons or Suzaku is town and scum in the sheepers. This theory doesn’t seem to meet that criteria except maybe Wam but I don’t think that reaction was scum sheep.
MathBlade

Post by MathBlade »

I am kinda thinking maybe Suzaku/Jedi/the worst as a good possibility atm. (Sorry your quackiness but your vote is bad)
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Votecount

Votee (Votes/Elimination) - Voter(s)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

bessie (2/8) - Morgan, Wam
Suzaku (2/8) - MathBlade, the worst
Wisp (1/8) - moody7277
moody7277 (1/8) - Suzaku
Sabrar (1/8) - madge

Not Voting (6): bessie, patzer, Sabrar, SuperJedi224, Wisp, Zeniba

Elimination Deadline is 10 AM PST on November 22nd.
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Given how this game was advertised, I would be surprised beyond belief if there were any vanilla roles. In this More Powers paradigm, it would make sense to have a 9 town-3 scum-1 indep setup.

btw MathBlade, are you actually questioning what Madge did as mod in the Halloween game, or are you just using a quote to ping her?
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

Also I'm not uncomfortable with the new places, idk where u get that vibe from
Wisp

Post by Wisp »

I wouldn't argue that vaimes is polarized? I just think I can pull things out that I like, based on my many many experiences with him. And I think he is focusing on a lot of things, which doesn't really fall under what I typically expect wolf!vaimes to do

Vaimes does have a poor track record with mislynching me, but i won't bring up dead horses, it's in the past honestly
madge

Post by madge »

MathBlade wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:50 pm
madge wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:40 pm me and sabrar modded the game, i sent the role pms out, guarantee you it's moody/wam scumteam bessie antisocial survivor
I pretty much disagree with this sorry.

for the record, i am saying that was the setup of the halloween game, so you are not allowed to disagree.

i obviously am not claiming that wam/moody are the scumteam on this game or that we have an antisocial survivor

i understand i wasn't clear but i thought the context was pretty obvious