What are you reading?

Dumping ground for everything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Re: What are you reading?

Post by ratammer »

I recently finished "The Absolute Book" by Elizabeth Knox. An interesting fantasy adventure but a bit too densely written for my taste.

Now I'm starting on a Doctor Who novel, "At Childhood's End". It only came out in 2020, but from what I understand the latest Doctor Who episode has already rendered it non-canonical, because
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
both of them involve Ace (a Seventh Doctor companion) meeting the Thirteenth Doctor, and both are portrayed as the first time she's met her.
Diana, madge's ratwife, any pronouns

I'm watching the first episode of all different cartoons!

---

Ya like my gate?
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Seven wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:59 am Most recently read Ancillary Justice. Was really interesting. Probably up there as one of my fave science-fiction novels I've read. From wiki, apparently it's the only novel to have won the Hugo, Nebula, and Arthur C. Clarke awards.

Back-Cover Summary:
Breq is an ancillary: one of the AIs used by the burgeoning Radch empire to control the bodies of its soldiers. She’s used to commanding a starship, with all its sophisticated machinery and deadly firepower at her fingertips. But someone has ripped her away from the systems that are hers by right: now she’s left with nothing at her disposal except fallible flesh.
That sounds pretty interesting, I'll put it on the list
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
Freddino18
Hey @Sniper can I have a role?

Post by Freddino18 »

Working through Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds, just got to the first Musk Dog contact
Old Bruce wrote:Mighty Morphine Power Ranger
Jplus wrote:Was that a response to penis or to tree?
Diana's boytoy.
Hey @Sniper can I have a sig too?
LingEarth

Post by LingEarth »

Just finished The Beast Player, by Japanese author Nahoko Uehashi. I had watched the anime based on it several years ago, and it was one of my favorite things ever, so when I heard the book finally got an English translation, well, I had to check it out. The book was good, but I felt like it did have some issues with the pacing and the narration (idk, maybe some of that was just with the translation rather than the author's original writing), and it didn't have quite the same feel as the anime, so I think I still like the anime version better. But who knows, maybe I would've thought the opposite if I'd read the book first! It was still good; I'd recommend either the book or the anime. Elin is the kind of protagonist I love most--someone who's just trying to do what she feels is right in a world that seems to be working against that. I'm going to read the sequel--which never got an anime adaptation--next, to finally find out what happens to Elin afterward.

Meanwhile, over in the non-fiction realm, Math Without Numbers by Milo Beckman is a neat little book with a different way of looking at some aspects of mathematics. I happened to come across it at the library, and it was a worthwhile find.
I'm an EarthLing. (Formerly on Mars)
she/her
extrovert23

Post by extrovert23 »

"Cousin Bette" - Balzac. I haven't read it when I was young and it was more apporpriate, but it is ok.
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Just finished Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. It has been on my to-read list for a long time (it's just been tricky/expensive to get a copy), because I've read some of it way back in the day when it was translated to Hungarian and some of its ideas have had a lasting influence on how I think about my entertainment. It's just as fascinating as I remembered and I highly recommend it if you have the slightest interest in comics.

I've also been reading Snow Crash (concurrently with this, because when I get a book I've really been looking forward to, I'm prone to reading two things at once), which is an amazingly cyberpunk story.
Freddino18

Post by Freddino18 »

I think my record was 6 books at once
Diana's boytoy.
Gluelock

Post by Gluelock »

Well this is a cool thread. I recently started Gardens of the Moon, the first entry to the Malazan series.

Honestly, its super cool so far, I'm about halfway through. I'm a bit slow of a reader but the goal is to get about halfway through the 10 book series by the time book 5 of the Stormlight Archive is released. (If I'm already invested in another series, I won't have to worry about the post-book depression that comes after finishing a major series)

I need to expand to other genres soon too, so I'm going to scour these posts for things that are worthwhile.
Gluelock (He/him/his)
aka Bluelock (MU)
Ro Laren

Post by Ro Laren »

Will be posting on this account outside of forum games so I can keep my 7 post count.
Seven wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:59 am The Name of the Wind
This and the sequel were superb btw. Really looking forward to the next. His way with words and metaphors had me unable to put the books down.

Also recently read Dune for the first time.

In the middle of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy which is really funny so far, but I did not like John Dies at the End. I quit partway through and just watched the movie to know what happens, which I also did not like.
Gluelock wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:18 pm Well this is a cool thread. I recently started Gardens of the Moon, the first entry to the Malazan series.

Honestly, its super cool so far, I'm about halfway through. I'm a bit slow of a reader but the goal is to get about halfway through the 10 book series by the time book 5 of the Stormlight Archive is released. (If I'm already invested in another series, I won't have to worry about the post-book depression that comes after finishing a major series)

I need to expand to other genres soon too, so I'm going to scour these posts for things that are worthwhile.
haha the post-book depression is too real. I've been meaning to get into the Stormlight Archive. I've read Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Mistborns. I think I might check out the cytoverse before I move into TSA.
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

Ro Laren wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:57 am Will be posting on this account outside of forum games so I can keep my 7 post count.
That is the best reason I've ever seen for an alt account
Gluelock

Post by Gluelock »

Ro Laren wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:57 am Will be posting on this account outside of forum games so I can keep my 7 post count.
Seven wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:59 am The Name of the Wind
This and the sequel were superb btw. Really looking forward to the next. His way with words and metaphors had me unable to put the books down.

Also recently read Dune for the first time.

In the middle of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy which is really funny so far, but I did not like John Dies at the End. I quit partway through and just watched the movie to know what happens, which I also did not like.
Gluelock wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:18 pm Well this is a cool thread. I recently started Gardens of the Moon, the first entry to the Malazan series.

haha the post-book depression is too real. I've been meaning to get into the Stormlight Archive. I've read. Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Mistborns I think I might check out the cytoverse before I move into TSA.

Funnily enough, I got into Stormlight after a friend of mine said “Since you enjoyed The Name of the Wind check out The Way of Kings”. But the whole KingKiller Chronicles has so much potential, I’m just sad that’s it’s been 10 years and there’s still no sign of the third book.

As for Stormlight, Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Mistborns they are all a part of the greater “Cosmere” universe but Cytoverse is separate so I haven’t read that yet.

But anyways, I hope you take your time and enjoy Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, I would love to be able to read it for the first time again!
Gluelock (He/him/his)
aka Bluelock (MU)
commodorejohn

Post by commodorejohn »

I'm currently watching a functional programmer be corrupted by Forth, and will be digging into DIY synthesis at some point in the not-too-distant (?) future.
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

commodorejohn wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:16 pm I'm currently watching a functional programmer be corrupted by Forth, and will be digging into DIY synthesis at some point in the not-too-distant (?) future.
ooh, that analog synth book looks like something I should get my hands on.
commodorejohn

Post by commodorejohn »

Been meaning to get into that for ages.
Freddino18

Post by Freddino18 »

Sadly I am waiting on Audible credits for both The Expanse and The Wheel of Time. Up to 5 in Expanse and 10 in Time
Diana's boytoy.
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Freddino18 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:30 am Sadly I am waiting on Audible credits for both The Expanse and The Wheel of Time. Up to 5 in Expanse and 10 in Time
Started about a year ago on Wheel of Time, about midway through Knife of Dreams now.
Freddino18

Post by Freddino18 »

Knife is the next one I need, it was not at the local library either, but it's on hold
Diana's boytoy.
Freddino18

Post by Freddino18 »

moody7277 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:46 pm
Freddino18 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:30 am Sadly I am waiting on Audible credits for both The Expanse and The Wheel of Time. Up to 5 in Expanse and 10 in Time
Started about a year ago on Wheel of Time, about midway through Knife of Dreams now.
What are all of your thoughts on the darkfriends and Forsaken that have infiltrated the various factions?
Diana's boytoy.
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Freddino18 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:59 pm
moody7277 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:46 pm
What are all of your thoughts on the darkfriends and Forsaken that have infiltrated the various factions?
Liandrin's a bitch, and what I've seen of her comeuppance so far has been sweet.
Rahvin probably did the most damage where he was embedded, totally trashed the reputation of House Trakand.
Freddino18

Post by Freddino18 »

I'm really excited for you to read about the resolution of the Black Ajah stuff and the stuff that happens with Egwene's masseuse (forget her name, Egwene's maid thinks she's a ho and she's the secretary for the "neutral" sitter(it's been a few days and names tend to slip my mind))
Diana's boytoy.
moody7277

Post by moody7277 »

Freddino18 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:56 am I'm really excited for you to read about the resolution of the Black Ajah stuff and the stuff that happens with Egwene's masseuse (forget her name, Egwene's maid thinks she's a ho and she's the secretary for the "neutral" sitter(it's been a few days and names tend to slip my mind))
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Her name's Halima, and I just got to the part where she gets outted in front of the Hall. She had already left in a panic once one of the Asha'man who could recognize her showed up.
Freddino18

Post by Freddino18 »

YES
Diana's boytoy.
Freddino18

Post by Freddino18 »

What are your theories on her identity? More specifically, who she was?
Diana's boytoy.
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

Recent acquisitions:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

Diana, madge's ratwife, any pronouns

I'm watching the first episode of all different cartoons!

---

Ya like my gate?
Freddino18

Post by Freddino18 »

Yooooo tell me what you think of Jurassic Park
Diana's boytoy.