2660: "Gen Z"

This is, technically, an xkcd forum.
ratammer
Gatekeeper

2660: "Gen Z"

Post by ratammer »

Title text: Curdled milk, of a peculiar kind, made after a Bulgarian recipe and called "yaghurt," is now a Parisian fad and is believed to be a remedy against growing old. A correspondent who has tried it, says he would prefer to die young. (1905, The Elk Falls Journal)

"Baby boomers" was coined by an older generation, and when you look at how the phrase was first used, it was to complain about young people's behaviours. Some day, "generation Z" will be the phrase people use when complaining about their elders.
Diana, madge's ratwife, any pronouns

I'm watching the first episode of all different cartoons!

---

Ya like my gate?
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Re: 2660: "Gen Z"

Post by The Snide Sniper »

ratammer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:41 pm "Baby boomers" was coined by an older generation, and when you look at how the phrase was first used, it was to complain about young people's behaviours. Some day, "generation Z" will be the phrase people use when complaining about their elders.
Now I'm picturing someone saying "ok boomer" to an edgy teenager.
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

ratammer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:41 pm "Baby boomers" was coined by an older generation, and when you look at how the phrase was first used, it was to complain about young people's behaviours. Some day, "generation Z" will be the phrase people use when complaining about their elders.
I've already seen "ok, zoomer" out in the wild, so I guess things are moving fast now.
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
Old Bruce

Post by Old Bruce »

ratammer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:41 pm
"Baby boomers" was coined by an older generation, and when you look at how the phrase was first used, it was to complain about young people's behaviours. Some day, "generation Z" will be the phrase people use when complaining about their elders.
The phrase was coined and used to describe the massive Post War baby boom. Demographics not derision.
somitomi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:07 pm I've already seen "ok, zoomer" out in the wild, so I guess things are moving fast now.
I think the term 'Zoomer' was originally a rather pathetic attempt to portray us aging and decrepit old [expletive deleted] as physically and mentally fit enough to zoom around. Embarrassingly sad that someone of my vintage would think that up believing it to be a good thing. I have seen the best minds of my generation...