2529: "Unsolved Math Problems"

This is, technically, an xkcd forum.
ratammer
Gatekeeper

2529: "Unsolved Math Problems"

Post by ratammer »

Title text: After decades of studying the curve and the procedure that generates it, the consensus explanation is "it's just like that."

She should pick up the curve and wield it like a staff.
Diana, madge's ratwife, any pronouns

I'm watching the first episode of all different cartoons!

---

Ya like my gate?
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Re: 2529: "Unsolved Math Problems"

Post by The Snide Sniper »

I kinda want to know the answer to the second one.
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

The Snide Sniper wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:03 am I kinda want to know the answer to the second one.
Nerd-sniped?
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
chridd
Scorekeeper-Keeper

Post by chridd »

The second one seems a bit underspecified, since it's not clear what exactly counts as a "line". Going from the diagram, the marbles don't have to be in adjacent squares, but do they still have to be one apart on some axis? Or if not, then do they have to be evenly spaced? Or do they just have to be colinear?
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ · she · Forum game scores · My website
ratammer wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:56 pm Hoping to find something quotable on this new forum!
ratammer
Gatekeeper

Post by ratammer »

I interpreted it as co-linear.
Diana, madge's ratwife, any pronouns

I'm watching the first episode of all different cartoons!

---

Ya like my gate?
pulsar512b

Post by pulsar512b »

somitomi wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:16 pm
The Snide Sniper wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:03 am I kinda want to know the answer to the second one.
Nerd-sniped?
what do u think i spent my friday and saturday on

ok in all seriousness, i havent gotten to figuring that out, but i have got a program that does some non-intersecting random walk stuff and I HAVE SOME OPINIONS OK

WHAT DOES "NONINTERSECTING RANDOM WALK MEAN" DOES IT MEAN NEVER INTERSECTING, or JUST NOT LIKE, IMMEDIATELY RUNNING INTO ITSELF OR WHAT??????
because, like if it never intersects if N and K are sufficiently large that like N*K is like in the hundreds, then you have to do quite a few runs with just a random walk to see one that keeps going for long enough

anyway code https://github.com/pulsie/non-intersecting-random-walk do whatever you want, there's no documentation but just dm me here/discord and i'll tell ya

i also got fun graphs, but that's beside the point, more importantly, i've got to the point where i think the hardest part of figuring out how to sim the original problem is finding colinearity tbh
she/her, trans, 23, likes computer chess, chess, pokemon, and valorant
balthasar_s

Post by balthasar_s »

For some reason I keep reading "non-intersecting random walk" as "not interesting random walk".
What happens if I
pulsar512b

Post by pulsar512b »

pulsar512b wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:37 am
somitomi wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:16 pm
Nerd-sniped?
what do u think i spent my friday and saturday on

ok in all seriousness, i havent gotten to figuring that out, but i have got a program that does some non-intersecting random walk stuff and I HAVE SOME OPINIONS OK

WHAT DOES "NONINTERSECTING RANDOM WALK MEAN" DOES IT MEAN NEVER INTERSECTING, or JUST NOT LIKE, IMMEDIATELY RUNNING INTO ITSELF OR WHAT??????
because, like if it never intersects if N and K are sufficiently large that like N*K is like in the hundreds, then you have to do quite a few runs with just a random walk to see one that keeps going for long enough

anyway code https://github.com/pulsie/non-intersecting-random-walk do whatever you want, there's no documentation but just dm me here/discord and i'll tell ya

i also got fun graphs, but that's beside the point, more importantly, i've got to the point where i think the hardest part of figuring out how to sim the original problem is finding colinearity tbh
ok so ive figured some stuff out, and further ive reasoned out that there's some ways to basically do the nonintersecting random walk, without just having to spam random walks for a long time, but with the same result. (dm here or on discord again for more info)
colinearity was interesting, it took a lot of talking with very smart people i know to get something, but we ended up figuring out how to get it to n^2 (and possibly less if i can be arsed to get multiprocessor stuff going)

also i did other things and now im basically entirely ready to start working on the original problem asap
she/her, trans, 23, likes computer chess, chess, pokemon, and valorant