This place: what it is? What it wants to be?

For discussion of the forum itself. "Forum-ception" jokes and the like are frowned upon.
balthasar_s

This place: what it is? What it wants to be?

Post by balthasar_s »

Hello.

I'm balthasar_s.
Some might recognise me from the 'time' thread.

Interesting that a 'NEW' xkcd forum appeared.
I guess that enough people missed a place like this.

I'm curious, I'm wondering, I would like to know.

What is the 'goal' of this new forum?
What is it supposed to be?
Will it be 'THE' xkcd forum?
or will it be 'AN' xkcd forum?

Will it try to be a continuation of the previous forum?
Or a completely new (but similar) thing?

Is there a vision already?
Or we just wait and see what the future will bring?

Are there any plans to obtain and import posts and threads from the provious forum (as they have significant historical value)?
Or does it start a new, independent history?
What happens if I
The Snide Sniper
Site Admin

Re: This place: what it is? What it wants to be?

Post by The Snide Sniper »

This new forum is meant to follow in the footsteps of the old forum, which went down and never came back up. Without any affiliation with xkcd, I don't think I can call it "THE" xkcd forum, but it is certainly an xkcd forum. This is mostly uncharted territory for me, so I have no idea what the future might hold for it.

I didn't plan this, but people in Forum Games have already begun importing threads from the old forum, and I'm not in the least bit surprised about it.
If I disappear from the forum, I can still be reached via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.
heuristically_alone

Post by heuristically_alone »

For me, I mostly see it as a place for old fora users to reconnect, not that I object to new users who are xkcd lovers. Could be a place for archived records to go, like the Time thread if somebody really wanted to take the time to archive it for historical reference here. I know bessie has been working on archiving old mafia games. Maybe a place to put archived threads would be great.
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait til you see what weak men are capable of.
----
he/him/they
faubi

Post by faubi »

This is the "xkcd forums" forums pretty much, I think.
somitomi

Post by somitomi »

So far it looks like a small, lightweight container for Forum Games... :lol:
i am doing a computers on the inters webses
Jplus

Post by Jplus »

Hey folks! Nice to see so many familiar names in the member list. Thank you for creating this new place, The Snide Sniper.
The Snide Sniper wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:30 pm I didn't plan this, but people in Forum Games have already begun importing threads from the old forum, and I'm not in the least bit surprised about it.
heuristically_alone wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:15 pm [...] Could be a place for archived records to go, like the Time thread if somebody really wanted to take the time to archive it for historical reference here. I know bessie has been working on archiving old mafia games. Maybe a place to put archived threads would be great.
All this talk of importing and archiving intrigues me. The only way I could think of so far to access content from the old forums is by visiting the scraped pages at archive.org, but when I want to look up a particular post that I remember, this usually turns out futile because the thread in question wasn't scraped at the right time. Also, as far I know, there is no way to search the forums at archive.org. Is anyone aware of more reliable/complete ways to access content from the old forums?
chridd
Scorekeeper-Keeper

Post by chridd »

For the Time thread in particular, it had already been archived while the forum was still online.

(I also have the beginning of thread necromancy on my computer, up to where I started my online scorekeepers.)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ · she · Forum game scores · My website
ratammer wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:56 pm Hoping to find something quotable on this new forum!